Tropical fish in a water trough outside?

Barnacle

I have a couple of troughs outside for the animals, and just curious as to what species may survive. Currently the water is at 21degC, and expect it to get a little warmer the further we get into summer.

A few weeks ago the water was completely green and opaque, so i threw some daphnia in there and its now crystal clear. So there is also plently of food for the odd fish.

I have some platys, swords, guppys i can choose from. Also curious how a pair of killies may do any there... Anybody have any advice or opinions?

I'd think all the fish you mentioned would be fine. Even a lot of cichlids would probably handle it once it's a little warmer if it doesn't drop too much. I've had my tropical tank down to 18° for a few weeks with no problems. They just swam a little slower.

My pond, when I set it up, tends to be warmer than my tropical tank and can sit around 28C.

I would suggest no more than a degree per day, depending on the fish species as some are only semi tropical anyway so will adapt to the lower temps a lot faster.

lol most species will handle temp changes of 4 degrees(or a lot more depending on species) happily, especially if its downwards, many use this as a sign of rainfall which triggers spawning behavior. I have measured the Ross river in Townsville which has temp changes of up to 12 degrees in a 2 hour period during the wet season. and the fish go into eating mode.... not dieing mode.

acclimate them as per normally, just give them about 1/2 an hour to get temp ready... check using a thermometer to make sure, if temps are out by more than 2 degrees, wait a touch longer.

acclimating them for too long will stress them more than if you just dumped them in.

Be careful. My outside trough changes from 21 deg during the day down to 16 deg over night.

i don't think a gradual five degrees is much more of a temperature fluctuation than most fish would ever experience in the wild. i really like the word fluctuation. regarding your original question, there really is only is one way to find out....

My pond, when I set it up, tends to be warmer than my tropical tank and can sit around 28C.

I would suggest no more than a degree per day, depending on the fish species as some are only semi tropical anyway so will adapt to the lower temps a lot faster.

you do live in blenheim tho haha i was down there for around 3 months at the start of the year and then another 2 months around july with my boss helping to get the fiber to the home project done on time and i have to say for winter it was bloody nice we were in shorts and singlets most days! evin when it was raining lol so im not really suprised your pond is warmer than your tank haha