*photos* some interesting sea critters i found

ilwis

thought you guys might be interested in this guy my wife found

soon after getting him home he ate my crab took about 6 mins till he was totally gone! it's very active

changes its body shape about every few seconds getting skiny at one point and like a balloon at the other end streaching his skin so thin you could see through it then thin again

its like his entire body is covered in little balloons

i havent touched him as i dont know if he is poisionus or not

he is about 7cm wide and about 15 cm long (when balloond out tho it flucuates rapidly between about 3cm wide to about 12cm wide sometimes at the same time, both sizes at diffrent parts of his body)

the first 2 photos was while he was eating the crab

IMG_0371.JPG

IMG_0372.JPG

IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0378.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

yea i was looking for nice rocks for the setup and my wife found him so i figured i cant pass up this opptunity i havent seen him around before and i figured he will help cycle the tank im not really in favour of doing the fishless cycleing

so i thought yes ill grab him or someone on here might be fasanated with him and want him for their tank or i could keep him as im a bit struck with him its like constant supprising movement

you guys sound angry about it?

im going to be carefull about how i look after the tank and make sure nothing starts to go wayward with it all

but you have made me curious about one thing he is a living creature in the tank how could he not make any difrence to the cycleing of the tank? he will still have some amount of bioload and if not then it wouldnt matter if he is there or am i missing something?

my old native marine tank i had years ago i had about 50 fish some snails and a few crabs in and i never had any deaths in for over a year and im setting this one up in a similar fasion just with a few extras that i think might be good for the tank

sorry everyone i appoligise

i guess i was a bit supprised and worried people were angry about my tank, people didnt seem like it was a wow thats kinda cool thing like how i saw it, i thought it was a weird unusal creature most people are not fimilar with and would want to know more about it so thats why i took it home, i thought it might be nice for me or someone with a estlabished tank to find out more about something diffrent and if people decided it was a bad thing to have and should take it back the sea is only a few mins up the road to release it, when i hear about a new fish or even a new fish name to me i want to know as much as i can about it im fasanated by diffrent fish and sea creatures and alwasys wanting to know more about them and the hobby. so i took it that it wasnt much liked that i just started the tank with creatures in it let alone a large unusal traveling creature like that and that i had to follow a set rulls on how to set up a saltwater tank

so im sorry it was a missinterpertation of wording on my part and i didnt mean to sound angry about the comments i had recieved i just wanted to know if i was missinterperting what i was reading and trying to figure out if it is best i take it back or if i would be able to keep is as i do like it

Any living sea creature that eats and poops will help with cycling.

not when it takes days to digest something then dumps a load of poop in a small uncycled tank and spews out 1/2 digested remains

bye bye the whole tank if you aren't there to clean it up and do a water change

http://www.reefkeepers.co.nz/forum/foru ... 840#p28840

Start with a clean up crew like hermits, turbos, chitons and glass shrimps. Also, if you look under large-ish boulders (on sand) try and get some mottled brittlestars, they set up shop beneath your liverock and are brilliant at sorting the accumulating nitrogenous crap. If you go for a sand bed, make it ~10cm and seed it with about 3 cm of rich natural substrate. have a look round locally for areas with lots of polychaete worms in a fairly course 1mm substrate. (if the worms are there, then there should also be all sorts of micro-molluscs, echinoderms and other microbial life) If there is mixed larger shell, remove it. any large shells are crap traps down deep. Also remove any large predatory polychaetes if you encounter them. They are the big pearl white ones with visible legs that can swim like eels!) You can then top up with whatever you want as long as its not too course and not too fine. Lots of debate on grainsize, but I've had good success with the coarser stuff that looks like pumice sand and accumulates on the surface on mid to low tide sandy beaches and on the sandy fringes of rocky headlands (on the east coast anyway) aim for ~ 1mm. Keep the load low for at least 6 months - Thats the hard part- Let it balance out and then you can start to add your finds. LA has put together a really good compatibility guide on the other wing of this sub forum. Immediate forgetaboutits that you may easily encounter are.. all pelagics and anything that takes a bait off a wharf, Juv snapper, spottys, stargazers, olive rockfish, nudibranchs without foodsource consideration, most sponges (purple dysidea ok for clown nudi's), dwarf scorpionfish.. actually there's heaps, refer to the guide or ask as you go, and really, it depends on how you want to set up too, some younger members have had crap heaped on them for keeping say, spotties :shock: . Turns out that spotties are fine - and really interesting- If you consider the co-habitants. and thats really what it's all about. Research the co-hab of all your species and what they may eat, consider any filter feeders if you protein skim, go slow, keep your bioload minimised, and you'll be fine.

thankyou! now thats the stuff i have been trying to find

ill have a bit of a search around those links you have given me and then try to get the tank sorted to the most effictave way to get the tank in the right direction im not a fan of ever having anything die on me and i want the tank to be a happy place

thankyou! now thats the stuff i have been trying to find

ill have a bit of a search around those links you have given me and then try to get the tank sorted to the most effictave way to get the tank in the right direction im not a fan of ever having anything die on me and i want the tank to be a happy place

Reefkeepers has loads of info on keeping local and very experienced reefers ready to help.

not when it takes days to digest something then dumps a load of poop in a small uncycled tank and spews out 1/2 digested remains

bye bye the whole tank if you aren't there to clean it up and do a water change

Probably helps even less when your wandering anemone wanders into the filter and gets chopped up and sprayed around the tank...Which now has no filtration because it has an anemone corpse clogging it. :o

sounds like experience Ira..... do tell....

found a couple of massive colonies of Jewels today, spent so much time watching them and all the other critters that the missus took off and I had to walk home .

sooooo worth it

Not personal experience no. But it's fairly common. Most, maybe even all, anemones can walk around when they feel the need. Some species do it more than others. It's common on reef messageboards to hear about people's anemone walking into powerheads.