Music suddenly got good again

Carlos & Siran

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From an interview with Fank Zappa by Larry King

"King - But generally you think what you hear on the radio is terrible?

Zappa - I think basically it’s a product. And the reason why it is being manufactured is basically just to make money and it seems to me they have very little to do with the basic reasons for making music in the first place."

"I think basically it’s a product. And the reason why it is being manufactured is basically just to make money and it seems to me they have very little to do with the basic reasons for making music in the first place."

Wise words from a man who ate his own excrement...

I agree that commenting on quality of music is very much an opinionated topic; but I dunno...I think a lot of the stuff coming out nowadays is cheap, superficial and all about the money. There is the occasional gem in the mass of average tunes lately; but often it seems like old bands making good new stuff. I like some rap music, but that really depends on the artist. Rock tends to be a consistent performer in terms of quality, but I liked the 90's-2000's hiphop scene too, just had a much better vibe than the current stuff.

Ok, for instance. Take a hit like Smells like Teen Spirit by Nirvana (revolutionised the rock scene), a classic from ABBA or BeeGees, or bohemian rhapsody by Queen; their songs are going to be remembered for a looooong time. Stuff like 'Baby' by the Biebs or 'Spaceship' by that horror that is Minage in my opinion are poor competitors to those oldies.

Being in generation 'Y' people just assume that we should like this stuff. Gimme some Jack Johnson any day over that.

what you're not taking into account is that forgetable music from the past has already been forgotten. of course old music is going to come off better if you only bring up the legends. yeah the late 80's gave us nirvana, but it also gave us tiffany and redhead kingpin.

tiffany and redhead kingpin.

lololol!!!

You're right about the junk already being forgotten, but I agree with Fraser that modern music doesn't feel [to me] like it will endure the way some of the classics have. Look at the likes of Neil Young (active 1960-present) or the Rolling Stones (1962-present), is there any "new" acts that will still be selling out big shows and making music in 50 years time?

And "good" music isn't always popular too, Queens Of The Stone Age are a great example of a totally under-rated band, hardly hear them on the radio aside from 1-2 "hits", barely make a mention in the 'Rock 1000' or almost any other generic countdown, yet Josh Homme is (IMO) a brilliant musician and performer and they make/made some of the best rock of the past two decade....

Gutted! I saw them when the toured with Smashing Pumpkins and again when they were here a couple of years ago (and say Them Crooked Vultures too) and Homme always puts on a great show.

ITT = I'd Tap That? :dunno:

Super gutted i missed them crooked vultures,i didnt realise at the time but they played the same weekend as AC/DC so plane tickets were ridiculus over the islands. so wasnt worth it. if i had known it would of been a great weekend

Hard out, would have liked to see Them Crooked Vultures, great super group. Missed the Incubus concert at the start of the year too dammit. Oh well, got Coldplay next week, then Red Hot Chili Peppers in January! RHCP has to be one of the best bands ever! So much yum.

death metal has developed gradually, it has become more direct, tighter, harder, more refined and less refined at the same time... evolving into its newest form, not by process of evolution, survival of the fittest, but by process of time and willing changes to the human race... survival of the most brutal, most bloodthirsty music is how it shall progress. hail satan.

music - in any genre - can only evolve, develop, thus unless to a small mind, it can only get better...

"Psychic spies from China

Try to steal your mind's elation

Little girls from Sweden

Dream of silver screen quotations

And if you want these kind of dreams

It's Californication"

Vs

Who run the world? Girls (girls)

Who run this mother? Girls