quarantine setup questions

ilwis

Did you have a look at the tanks and shelving that is being sold on trademe? works out to be about $53 per tank and the shelving comes with it.

Yea I did look at them and if it would fit I would buy them but all of them are 500 wide, unfortunately my rooms are a little too narrow for them the rooms are only 3.4x1.7 so if I had them on the 2 sides I would only have .7 for me to move in, so I'm looking for 400 wide tanks so I have 900 to move in between them

I'm hopping to upload some pics in a new thread tonight so you can see what's going on :)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive just come from ITM wairau park the cheapest i could get them too was $25 a sheet what ITM have you been too so i can try there?[/quo

$11 odd is for a 25mm sheet. 50mm is around your $25 mark.

How exactly do you want to insulate the walls with poly. Would Batts work? You are only going to get R1.4 with poly but twice that with batts.

Thanks for the offer but I'm not really looking to spend so much on the insulation I'm sure I can knock them down to about $250 for 25mm S, I know it's not HD but it should do well enough for what I need

I'm trying to find the cheapest way possible because I know there is not a lot of money in this to repay it back for a while so at the moment it's just coming out of the back pocket and I still have shelving, tanks, heating and permits to go!

every cent you spend on insulation will be paid back over and over in lower electric bills. its one of the places you should consider spending a bit extra on initially as it is harder to improve on later unlike many other parts of the setup.

Im mostly planning on doing it with the polly because i can get a good seal with the expanding foam(good idea Jackp!) and presentation is something i hold in a bit of a higher regard when it comes to inspection time by MAF it will be good to show a clean well presented place

also when it comes to bats i know its a bit dumb or pedantic i have a small worry of the fibers getting into the tanks, breathing that stuff is bad for people let alone for a little fish who thinks its food.

also with the bats trying to make it look good like sealing it away behind boards will end up costing more than the polly in the long run.

Im mostly planning on doing it with the polly because i can get a good seal with the expanding foam(good idea Jackp!) and presentation is something i hold in a bit of a higher regard when it comes to inspection time by MAF it will be good to show a clean well presented place

also when it comes to bats i know its a bit dumb or pedantic i have a small worry of the fibers getting into the tanks, breathing that stuff is bad for people let alone for a little fish who thinks its food.

also with the bats trying to make it look good like sealing it away behind boards will end up costing more than the polly in the long run.

If you're worried about presentation, seal the batts behind GIB Aqualine. It'll cost A LOT more though.

You could batt your walls and then wrap walls with foil to hold it all in? Other options to line your walls could just be Hardboard, or particle board then all you have to do it is paint it. 25mm poly wouldnt do much as far as insulation goes.

The Knauf earthwool insulation doesnt seem to have the itchy fibres like the others but like you say i still think you would have to cover it. Other polyester options are more expensive and a pain in the ass to fit.

Try ringing Earthwool direct or Premier Insulation and see if they will supply some direct if you want to go the bat way. It will be way cheaper than the shops if they will do it for you.

Before making any decisions you really need to know exactly what the requirements are. I did a bit of work for a guy who was setting up a quarantine room and the regulations were fairly strict. I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure the room had to be fully lined and painted and he had lino with a 150mm upstand around the entire room to contain any water spills etc. there's no point in setting it up and then finding out it has to be done differently.

This is to be a quarantine facility. You will need to apply to the local Council for a building consent and the building consent will need to be the same as the plans approved by MPI. The walls, ceilings and floor will need to be capable of being cleaned without damage to the surface. This is not a shed out the back of the house with fish in it. When I built mine it had a 150 mm concrete floor with heaps of steel in it to take the weight of 4 tiers of tanks and 100mm of polystyrene under the slab, The walls and ceiling were lined with coloursteel sheets with the joints sealed with RTV and batts and sisalation for insulation. If you use sisalation it needs to go on the warmest side to avoid condensation. You will probably have to construct an ante room and construct the floor to retain a good percentage of the water content if there is a major accident. There is no point in getting a building consent that does not match up with the requirements of MPI or you are just making problems for yourself. You need to consult with The local Authority (and Regional Authority) as well as MPI so you can find out the actual requirements. We can offer suggestions but are not the approval authorities.

Agree with post above.

A friend of mine just built a shed using 100mm thick insulated panels. Layer of steel, then 100mm of polysteyrene backed by another layer of steel. He brought the whole thing in from china in a container. Not sure if it was cheap or not, but would have been suitable probably for what you were doing.

I have seen places built with a floor slab poured and including a 150mm plynth concavely rounded off and the panels sit on the plynth and are therefore off the floor. Vinyl can then be carried up the walls to the base of the panels and sealed. The whole place can be cleaned out with a hose if you work the plumbing to get the containment required.

the building's i have already built for it are basically 2 garden sheds the sheds are on a concrete slab that will take the weight of the tanks the entire sheds are lifted 200 off the ground (including the doorway so you have to step into them) the base will be fully sealed so any spillage wont be able to escape from the room so in effect i can spill 1156 liters on the ground without it leaving the room so not much risk there

i have spoken to the regional council about the sheds and they basically say if its under 10m square they don't require any permit tho i will be calling them again to ensure its ok for it to be a temporary transitional facility

There is a provision in the building act (third schedule) that exempts buildings up to 10 sq metres and one story high, if sighted at least the distance from the boundary that it is high, from needing a building consent. This is to allow for a garden shed to house a lawnmower and garden tools. The exemption has "provideds" that go with it and you will probably find that the use you are providing will do away with the exemptions because of the facilities you will require. You will require a letter from the local and regional councils before mpi will approve.

The requirement that may be a problem is this part in the exemptions

(iv) Does not exceed either 1 storey, or 10 square metres in

floor area, and does not contain sleeping accommodation or

sanitary facilities or facilities for the storage of potable

water:

You will need a sink and wash hand basin plus plumbing and drainage which will also require a building consent.

You may also require a consent for change of use and you may require a resurce consent if quarantine is not allowed in the zone you are in.

cool that doesn't sound like too much of a problem i was expecting to have to apply for resource consent and was going to ask the council about it anyway

and the wash basin was something you would expect from a quarantine anyway (don't want to be eating the little buggies after playing with the fishies!)

im a little bit familiar with most quarantine procedures anyway having experience with it in the past and im expecting a few extra things to come up to do and adjust (cant expect everything to be perfect first time!)

im sure ill learn a bit when i go get my BNZ-STD-TFGEN cert training.

thanks for insuring im aware of that it could have been a shocker! :)

ive just posted a thred with where im currently at with the building its self let me know if you spot simething i might need to be aware of! :)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60969