local quarantine, Expression of interest"

Jaxxnz

Where is the federation supposed to get the money to fund adding new fish to the import list?

FNZAS has $100k in the bank,?

It does not cost much to add new species, $5k would easy cover it.

It the time and research.

On one occasion when someone actually went to the trouble of importing specific fish which were on the allowable list, after gathering money from others to do so, it all went pearshaped and there is still an outstanding warrant from small claims court

When was that done? 1980s?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is the federation supposed to get the money to fund adding new fish to the import list? We are a group of hobbyists, many on benefits or retired. We charge $10 capitation per year and people complain that is too much. Where do we get the $$$ to apply for new fish? :dunno:

People are all for saying "I'd be willing to pay for that" but when it comes to actually putting their money where their mouth is - no dice. On one occasion when someone actually went to the trouble of importing specific fish which were on the allowable list, after gathering money from others to do so, it all went pearshaped and there is still an outstanding warrant from small claims court. Some were out of pocket several thousand dollars.

Last time I checked I paid $15 to be a mere "associate" member so I can read aquariumworld online. And that doesn't even get me a membership card anymore so I can get store discounts. The main reason I joined and paid was because there was so much talk about the federation working on getting new fish on the allow list and I thought I should help the cause by joining (and paying). So we are supposed to "stay tuned for exiting times to come"? I haven't heard a peep about how this is going and last time I asked I was told that I could just go and read all the minutes from all the delegates meetings.

If the initiative that Jennifer talked about 2 years ago is truly happening but funding is an issue then I would happily make a donation to that particular activity, and I'm sure others will too.

Then as she suggests there could be a voting system of sorts and in the end a sweet list of desirable species could be applied for. If then these species were approved I'm sure there are importers that would start importing these species since they are obviuosly the most desired as proven by a vote on this site..

Where is the federation supposed to get the money to fund adding new fish to the import list? We are a group of hobbyists, many on benefits or retired. We charge $10 capitation per year and people complain that is too much. Where do we get the $$$ to apply for new fish? :dunno:

People are all for saying "I'd be willing to pay for that" but when it comes to actually putting their money where their mouth is - no dice. .

Why dont you guy set up a $20 donation membership on the Board INDEX section , the total donate money will be contribution into funding for new fish species to the added list!!

Stuff the importer for sitting back and getting the benifit for the greenlight from us, we just wanted our fish here!!

But something else of course!! who ever in control of the donated money better not go shopping spree with it or not taking so call admin fees and expense too much!! :facepalm:

Come on FNZAS let make things happen not just talking!!

open it up, I will be the first to tranfer my so call $20 buck!!

ohh forgot, people are retire get super :sml1: it more than a mini part-time earner, \

and people on benifit can afford to buy new fish and fish food so they still can contribute too..

importers are not going to waste there time in getting a 'few' particular species in just cause a 'few' people would like them.

ive talked to one importer an he no longer brings in malawis cichlids , as he said they take so long to sell an its just taking up room time money.

this will be the same for many species that a few of you want, theres not enough market for them.

an when we are lucky enough to get a few new things hardly anyone fronts up with money an makes purchases, seen it time an time again.

thinking everyone on the forum is going to donate $20 towards contribution funding for new fish species to the added list is a retarded idea most people are happy with what they got or can purchase from a store already they couldn't care less about this idea.

if you have the time knowledge and money setup a facility , im sure the select few will be very happy

I have built a stand alone quarantine facility, gone through all the requirments and imported fish (goldfish). I got through the first 6 weeks then had another four years to go. I had 7 inspections in 6 weeks and they wouldn't give me any idea how the next 4 yeers was going to go so I flagged it. Goldfish are being looked at for import approval again I understand but all fish imports are a lot more difficult now than when I did it. If you are keen---go for it and I wish you luck.

There are different levels of disease risk with different species hence the different requirements depending on risk. Goldfish are in the high risk class.

I imported 9 varieties and they came back and said one variety had piscine TB and would have to be taken away and destroyed. I had picked that one variety was so infected and was happy for them to be destroyed. They took away the healthiest variety (that had actually been spawning in the tanks) and would not take away the ones I knew to have TB. That is when I lost enthusiasm for continuing the remaining 4 years of quarantine.

The process is different now. They were making murmerings about allowing the importation of fertile eggs but I don't think that has taken off. It would be a bit pointless unless you were there and saw what had been bred to what.I must have been the last or close to the last to import goldfish. At the time there was a lot of pretty crook looking goldfish about and a friend did some work on them for me and determined that they were infected with aeromonus bacteria.

FNZAS has $100k in the bank,?

It does not cost much to add new species, $5k would easy cover it.

Do you honestly think the money just sits in the bank? The federation has expenses too.

Aquarium World, Website hosting, there are some funds in the bank that are already set aside for specific tasks, which cannot be re-distributed. It might pay to check out these details before you assume the federation has money to throw around.

You wont have much of a Federation if few species of fish are imported.

every year common fish are getting harder to get whilst new species are always being discovered and not able to be imported into NZ.

If we don't replace fish that are getting harder to get then far less species will come into NZ.

MAF have already classed many fish as high risk so importers tend to stay away from importing them, and every year there is more red tape.

I hardly think it would be throwing money around. it is a important necessity.

If it is so important and so easy why don't the importers get some species added as they would be the first to make profit from their importation and they are in the business of making money by importing fish. My understanding is that most of the fish that have been added are ones where proof of previous importation has been able to be provided. To get new species added you have to come up with evidence that they are not a risk of surviving if released or carrying diseases that may be a risk (mainly to trout and salmon as the natives don't have a powerful lobby group)

If it is so important and so easy why don't the importers get some species added as they would be the first to make profit from their importation and they are in the business of making money by importing fish.

Because some importers have already done most of the fish list, i have spent 5 years adding fish and countless hours doing it. i am over it and if i was getting the reward i would add more , however that is not the case as once they are added then anyone can import them.

Some importers also ride on the back of others hard work.

Now and then i still add fish, however it needs to have a group/Federation to keep adding fish.

Unsure who said it is easy.

LivingArt wrote

and it won't be your money

Living art Stop clowning around with your continues one liners. once a clown always a clown. your resentment is getting boring.

I formally declare, that if the forum was able to get some sort of freshwater ray into the list.

i will give a donation of $200 minimum for their time and effort.

Now, i cant cover the whole cost of the process.

im sure others on here who REALLY want to get this in would feel the same way.

once the permit is up, importation is easy.

i have no idea where to start and im sure some here do.

there are a few people on this forum i am sure - would be more than happy to 'donate' for the forums time and effort to get freshwater rays in 8)

Arowana comm, dats and freshwater rays...... sorted!

curious, when was the last time the forum added something to the list and what fish was it?

dont actually know :dunno:

oh, Polypterus Endlicheri too! thats easier though! i know that will sell like hotcakes for at least the first 100 or so specimens!

Have you ever wondered why fresh water rays are not on the approved list? That might give you an idea as to how easy/difficult it might be to get them added. I have no interest in rays but am working to try and get some of the killies that are on the approved list actually bought in. It may take time.