local quarantine, Expression of interest"

Jaxxnz

I think rays are a long shot at best, best to focus on expanding Genera already allowed with similar species (Geophagus, crenicichla, Polypterus, probably plenty of Africans etc).

There hasn't been much action on the Fish Committee thread regarding the updating of the list since April, people [myself included] seem to be lacking in free time. I've been busy renovating/retraining/relocating/house-selling/house-hunting/house-buying/house-setting-up etc etc for the best part of this year so have hardly even thought about it. Hopefully once my next big tank is up and running (which is my immediate focus now) I'll have a bit more time to look at it.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Under the previous regime for importing goldfish they had to be quarantined for 6 weeks in a normal quarantine facility as for tropical fresh water fish but not in a premises used for tropical fish. After that they could be released into ponds with conditions and could be bred and the offspring sold but the original imports had to remain under quarantine for 4 years. They have changed the rules now and it looks like 6 weeks Q but with heaps of tests and prior approvals. It would be an expensive operation I suspect.

why are they trying to stop diseases that are already very common (most tanks will have the mycobacteria responsible)

Likely due to the fact he disease has not been recorded in wild populations in NZ, so as fare as MAF is concerned the disease is not in the country.

You wont have much of a Federation if few species of fish are imported.

every year common fish are getting harder to get whilst new species are always being discovered and not able to be imported into NZ.

If we don't replace fish that are getting harder to get then far less species will come into NZ.

MAF have already classed many fish as high risk so importers tend to stay away from importing them, and every year there is more red tape.

I hardly think it would be throwing money around. it is a important necessity.

Too right!

Okay!! with many great experinces and advised here from people!!

\

What would be the best solution so i dont have to try to building a mate rates quarantine??

All i want is a register quarantine/ importer to be more flexible with importing fish for hobbyist request!!

iam trying to say here is: most people wont chip out $2k-$3k for one lot of order, unless its a Red Arow)

Iam thinking around about sub $1k, would any importer be keen to help out and put in their 90% effort to try to get the order in?

*again species on the list only**)

I get really :yaw2: when import keep on saying they will try to sort out source!, \

its not in season yet!,

not on the market yet!

** Iam on holiday) :slfg:

To be honest iam thinking if i had a quarantine facility, i dont really mind if people arranged that they got a box of live fish brought back with them on the plane back from their flight holiday!!

I will be keen to help out, but of course what ever the expense is and fish survive rates its their fall!!

also some sort of non refundable deposite just to cover my expense!

Why cant you importer keen to help out, that even when we can afford pay you??

YYYYYYYY :bounce: :bounce: