Sophia's planted riverbed... update pg 10

Sophia

This is a second hand Juwel Rekord 60 tank. It's my first all in one tank.

It's 600mm long by about 350mm high, 300mm front to back.

Internal box type filter with 2 non juwel filter sponges and bionoodles inside, a 100watt heater.

There's a Juwel Daylight 15w T8 bulb inside the lid.

Bits and pieces

IMG_1709.jpg

Filter innards

IMG_1710.jpg

A little tank waits for a new stand to be built….

IMG_1711.jpg

New stand takes shape

IMG_1712.jpg

Quirky detail courtesy of my husband

IMG_1713.jpg

Finished stand

finishedstand.jpg

Went rock hunting today… scored these from Avondale Central Landscape supplies. They are large river pebbles.

rocks.jpg

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I know so far:

It's going to be low tech in that it won't have c02, lights on probably 4-6 hours a day as there is a lot of natural light in the room already.

The filter washes the water anticlockwise along the back and there is a sort of dead spot in front of the filter. I'm trying to arrange the layout so that it takes this into account rather than make something that fills up with plants and then gets gunky or cyano in the corners as my other 2 tanks have done. I'm thinking something like a raised island in the middle with stones and plants, gravel built up at the back so there is a bit of height and depth, and some pockets of sand either between the stones or along the front somewhere, or maybe a little path down the middle. It will either be a blob of island or a longish island. I want to stick plants to some rocks, and have some rocks bare to show their interesting markings or eventually get algae on. There is a bucket of dark grey gravel too.

Either a tall plant like crypt balansae somewhere, or a piece of driftwood with java fern that sticks up. I have bought 2 small barthii sword plants so far to go somewhere.

Filter inlets are 2-3mm wide so I'm a bit worried about fish getting stuck in there so I'm thinking of covering them with mesh. The inlets on the front of the box are blocked by the filter noodle bag so it would be hard to get something in there.

Going to try this one with no background since the wall behind is plain cream. Sand will be light beige/grey beach sand or silica in contrast to the rocks.

What I want to do is put the loaches in here with the 3 corydora and maybe get a new dither fish that I don't have. Either that or some other loaches that don't get too big. Or a bigger school of loaches. Or I leave the corydora in their current tank and get a bigger school of different corydora or something else (that is my long short list). There are too many fish choices yet. Since I started fishkeeping I've wanted to create a tank with current where the fish swim around and play, especially with corydora and loaches so as much as I can I am aiming for this.

I think that's about all so far. :nilly:

The inlets on the front of the box are blocked by the filter noodle bag so it would be hard to get something in there.

Shouldn't it be blocked by mechanical media?

I like the idea of an island style layout, I've seen some with sandy foregrounds that trail to the back on each side with heavy planting in the centre. Then the difference between the two is broken up with various grades of pebbles in the same style as the main rocks or substrate. Can't wait to see this one!

Shouldn't it be blocked by mechanical media?

if you see the picture of the top of the filter box, the inlets are under the outlet pipe. So the front inlets are blocked with filter media, the back right corner is taken up with the heater (there aren't any inlets anyone could get to on that side unless they jumped over the top... possible) but the side inlets are largely unblocked on the inside as that is where it sucks in the main water to go through the pump. Anyone in there would get sucked into the pump and become a FishJuice :o

haha we are addicts!

Haha I'm still more of a puppy addict though, only went to fish store cause it's kinda close to the park that Sherlock and I go to. This tank is getting pretty fully. Once I get some cories, it's no more new fish for me since the tank I've been stocking would be fully stocked by then.

Great job on the stand! Does he do that for a living?

he did make and sell his furniture for a short time but now he only does it under sufferance as it's not a task he enjoys anymore. Luckily I managed to get him to make almost a whole house worth of furniture before he said no more :roey: