Project AA

SamH

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that the co2 regulator from fish-street? If so does it come with a NZ power plug?

Yes it's from fish-street but no it doesn't come with a NZ power plug. They threw an international to NZ adaptor plug for free to my surprise but the regulator has a standard Asian two prong plug. Adaptors are cheap as anyways.

Yesterday I started on the substrate for the tank. Unfortunately Photobucket was down so here are the photos, a day late but here nonetheless.

P9150002.jpg

Masking tape to mark out the golden section.

P9150004.jpg

From left to right; rocks, JBL Manado 5L, Fluorite, Onyx Sand and JBL Aquabasis mix.

P9150008.jpg

P9150013.jpg

Pantyhose full of sand and tied off to give the substrate extra height.

P9150017.jpg

Bottom layer, Aquabasis/Onyx sand mix. Must be capped to prevent algae issues.

P9150020.jpg

Middle layer, Fluorite.

P9150023.jpg

Top layer, JBL Manado. Too light for Glosso, leaving the central path free of Manado.

P9150024.jpg

Left bank, very steep.

P9150025.jpg

Right bank.

P9150028.jpg

Right side substrate depth.

P9150032.jpg

Rocks to hold the slope, will be covered in Java fern and moss eventually.

I added some water to test the slope and it slides like crazy. Apparently the only thing you can do is build them up strong, reinforce them as much as possible and hope they don't slide too much. The Manado is super light so I hope the filter doesn't blow it all around the tank.

Today I got a wee package in the mail from N1CK containing a few emersed plants to get me started.

P9200001_zps39208f17.jpg

Plants as they came.

P9200003_zpsdd911505.jpg

Clockwise from left: A tiny spring of stargrass, narrow leaf java fern, dwarf sag, assorted crypts and my favourite, Glosso! :D I thought it doesn't look like much at first but once I got chopping and sorting, there was far more than there appeared.

P9200011_zpsa53b300b.jpg

How to hold Glosso for planting.

P9200015_zps27f619de.jpg

Asst. crypts.

P9200019_zps4f77ddfe.jpg

Foreground.

P9200012_zps9bca2097.jpg

Glosso all planted. It filled the foreground nicely, can't wait for it to grow!

P9200013_zps14bc19b6.jpg

FTS, excuse the reflection I was in a rush to get off to Bunnings before class started :lol:

Here's an update just four days on. Over the weekend I installed the inline heater, ran the filter pipes and moved the T5HO ballast to below the cabinet. Excuse the mess, it's mostly CO2 stuff, and the tripod I'm doing a time lapse photo series with. Also, I'm surprised that in just four days I'm getting so much new growth from the Glosso, by this time next week I should be topping it.

IMG_2206_zps2ae8b191.jpg

New glosso leaves, the original leaves should die off.

IMG_2208_zpscc19575f.jpg

The new cupboard internals.

IMG_2211_zps6d818563.jpg

6 way surge protected multiboard with light timers, T5HO ballast behind.

IMG_2209_zps9b8fdbe0.jpg

Filter pipes held on with pipe clips I painted black, inline heater somewhat hidden by the tripod.

Doesn't really look like that much glosso, should have stuck some more in :/ Was a bit of a pain to get untangled though.

I'm used to untangling glosso :lol: It's plenty dude, once I top it then I'll have all the cover I need. Then I'll be kicking myself for choosing such a weed :lol: Half of the crypts seem to be doing well, the rest look really dry or melted :-?

Thanks Joe! 8)