Malaysian prawn

zuri08

males to 32cm body length with up to 45cm long claws,

Giant river prawns live in turbid freshwater, but their larval stages require brackish water to survive. Males can reach a body size of 32 cm; females grow to 25 cm. In mating, the male deposits spermatophores on the underside of the female's thorax, between the walking legs. The female then extrudes eggs, which pass through the spermatophores. The female carries the fertilized eggs with her until they hatch; the time may vary, but is generally less than three weeks. A large female may lay up to 100,000 eggs.

From these eggs hatch zoeae, the first larval stage of crustaceans. They go through several larval stages before metamorphosing into postlarvae, at which stage they are about 8 mm long and have all the characteristics of adults. This metamorphosis usually takes place about 32 to 35 days after hatching. These postlarvae then migrate back into freshwater.

"There are three different morphotypes of males. The first stage is called "small male" (SM); this smallest stage has short, nearly translucent claws. If conditions allow, small males grow and metamorphose into "orange claw" (OC) males, which have large orange claws on their second chelipeds, which may have a length of 0.8 to 1.4 times their body size. OC males later may transform into the third and final stage, the "blue claw" (BC) males. These have blue claws, and their second chelipeds may become twice as long as their body.[3]

Male M. rosenbergii prawns have a strict hierarchy: the territorial BC males dominate the OCs, which in turn dominate the SMs. The presence of BC males inhibits the growth of SMs and delays the metamorphosis of OCs into BCs; an OC will keep growing until it is larger than the largest BC male in its neighbourhood before transforming. All three male stages are sexually active, though, and females which have undergone their premating molt will cooperate with any male to reproduce. BC males protect the females until their shells have hardened; OCs and SMs show no such behavior."

My understanding is that they are supposed to be dead when you buy them. I would think someone has done a bit of a shafter and may well get a visit from the egg heads upstairs. Free meals and a holiday at her majesty's pleasure---what is wrong with that.

It's the holiday romance that you want to watch out for :lol:

This guy musta known someone there or took it with out their knowledge.

I know for a fact that they rae not supposed to leave alive, largely cos i have tried to source LIVE prawns for my arowana, smaller ones than that but i called this prawn farm in taupo and they sid that MAF requires them to have the prawn dead before any leave their premise.

but cool pet though! wonder how long they live for.

well, if MPI (formerly MAF) found the auction before close, they would request membership details from T.Me, then go for a visit, probably remove the specimen, and, if they feel the need, "sanitise" any tanks or equipment that may have held or cross-contaminated with the holding tank for the specimen...

And then there would be the legal repercussions and quite a few questions as to how they got hold of one (LIVE!) to begin with...

May well be that they will be waiting to see where it going, as the buyer might also be in for a slap up-side the head...

I have had the dreaded visit from the boys and girls after buying a plant on trademe being sold by an ex member on here. He got the repercussions but the plant had died by the time they got here and the bus ticket didn't even get wet. The buyer would claim innocence but the seller would get the please explain (as would the place it originally came from).The buyer would best not get smart or they might decide to sterilize everything that had had even got close to the prawn.