March 27, 201214 yr comment_478332 Hi all, A talk today in assembly about donating blood got me thinking about it. So me and a mate are thinking about donating it (most likely will). Is there anything I should be doing (or not taking) before the blood donation people come to school next week? :nilly: Thanks Report
March 27, 201214 yr comment_478334 Just answer all the questions they ask you honestly. Good on you mate, blood is always needed and not nearly enough people donate. Report
March 27, 201214 yr Author comment_478336 I do sometimes take antihistamines, plus I'm supposed to be taking regular doxycyclin (for pimples). But on the website it says like 1 week before donating. So if I took my last antihistamine and Doxy yesterday should I be good to go? I don't see much else that applies to me. I'm 16 and over 50kg. http://www.nzblood.co.nz/Give-blood/Donating/Detailed-eligibility-criteria Report
March 27, 201214 yr comment_478337 They usually have a check list of things that would make you ineligible for donating blood. From memory anitbiotic usage, you can't have a cold, flu, infection etc. If you have a tattoo there is like a 6 month stand down. Can't have lived in the major mad cow countries between 1980 and 96? Can't donate if you have sex with a same sex partner / whatever - 5 year stand down? Report
March 27, 201214 yr Author comment_478339 They usually have a check list of things that would make you ineligible for donating blood. From memory anitbiotic usage, you can't have a cold, flu, infection etc. If you have a tattoo there is like a 6 month stand down. Can't have lived in the major mad cow countries between 1980 and 96? Can't donate if you have sex with a same sex partner / whatever - 5 year stand down? Hmm I may go talk to them about that. It does say a week on their website Fit and healthy No tattoos... Yet. Never been to Europe... Yet. N/A Report
March 27, 201214 yr comment_478345 Good on you, not many people your age would be donating blood, I wouldn't think. Have even been thinking about doing myself Report
March 27, 201214 yr comment_478346 They love you if you have had immunisations as well like hep a and b, typhoi, yellow fever. I should go but I don't handle my blood being taken Report
March 27, 201214 yr Author comment_478350 :sage: don't think I've had any of those immunisations. It's a good thing to be doing. Saving lives plus time off school at the same time. I just hope one day if I need blood someone else will donate :thup: Report
March 27, 201214 yr comment_478352 Iam remembering when i was at school..i pop my head out of the class room and ask this fat chick walking pass by. "Donna,What you up to? she reply "I just donate 2liter of blood!! time to time that memory pop up on my head.. :nilly: but at that time i belive she did donate 2ltr of her blood.. :slfg: Report
March 27, 201214 yr Author comment_478355 first periid this morning some girl said that they take 1/3 of your blood! It's like damn. I later learned this today that it is 470ml. Report
March 27, 201214 yr comment_478356 I don't handle having blood taken to well either :-? I sought of think about my Nan, who had a blood transfusion before she passed away 3 yrs ago &c:ry Unforunately Nan didn't make it &c:ry but I'm sure there are lots of people out there that need a transfusion and it save's their lives. So I will just have to toughen up won't I :roll: How long does it take to give blood. Report
March 27, 201214 yr comment_478357 I am not sure how. Much they take but there is also a time limit on how long they will do it for. My son donates often as do the other bronze members they always race to see who is the fastest Report
March 27, 201214 yr comment_478358 Just answer all the questions they ask you honestly. Good on you mate, blood is always needed and not nearly enough people donate. +1 All the questions they ask are for very good reasons. Can't donate if you've had a body piercings within 6 months. They also do a little fingerprick test to make sure your blood levels are okay before donating. Don't want to take blood off someone who's a little low on blood themselves. By the way, anybody who donates is totally awesome, besides saving lives (it sounds a little cheesy, but totally true), I have a fulltime job thanks to you guys :love: Report
March 27, 201214 yr comment_478360 I don't handle having blood taken to well either :-? I sought of think about my Nan, who had a blood transfusion before she passed away 3 yrs ago &c:ry Unforunately Nan didn't make it &c:ry but I'm sure there are lots of people out there that need a transfusion and it save's their lives. So I will just have to toughen up won't I :roll: How long does it take to give blood. The actual blood taking part can't take any longer than 15 mins. Before hand, you have to fill out a bunch of questions, and then you go over them with one of them. Afterwards, they want you to sit around a bit, eat/drink something, to make sure you're okay and aren't going to faint. Report
March 27, 201214 yr comment_478364 Oh well at least there will be someone there to pick me up when I faint :oops: As long as I dont look at the blood coming out I'm usually fine Report
March 27, 201214 yr Author comment_478366 How long does it take to give blood. It takes 1/2 hr to an hour and like 10 minutes to take the blood I think then they observe you while resting. Sorry to hear about your nan by the way. @Adrienne, The bigger you are the more blood you have, so the more you can donate is what I've been told. But they must have some kind of limit. I'm a little but scared about this needle though. "apparently" some people have missed and had to get it put in several times to hit the vein :sick: Report
March 27, 201214 yr comment_478370 Every thing you need to know is on their website http://www.nzblood.co.nz/ It is quick and easy and everyone is very nice to you and thank you a lot for donating. I am a blood donor but have had to stand down for 6 months after my surgery. You can sit or lie down, whichever is most comfortable for you. They give you nice drinks and biscuits afterwards. :love: Report
March 27, 201214 yr comment_478376 Next time the Give Blood Van is in Levin, I shall be there Thank You Squirt Report
March 27, 201214 yr Author comment_478378 Thanks, if I'm eligible I will most likely donate at this point. :thup: Report
March 27, 201214 yr comment_478383 I'd like to donate blood but I faint when I get blood tests done so it's probably not a good idea... Report
March 27, 201214 yr comment_478386 i couldn't do it, i HATE needles but its a good idea, good on ya Report
March 27, 201214 yr comment_478387 Well if you lie down when they take them, you will have less distance to fall :slfg: I used to faint when having blood taken :facepalm: seems to not worry me so much these days :thup: Report
March 27, 201214 yr comment_478390 Good on you! The first time you do it is the hardest, then you know what to expect so it becomes easy. Really it doesn't hurt. If you expect it to hurt, then it will. If you relax and think of what an awesome thing you are doing for your community then it doesn't (much). Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.