rare columbian catfish

flatfish

http://conservation.govt.nz/upload/documents/science-and-technical/PF04barnes.pdf

bit of info on them

Turns out that they are not on any MAF list as illegal or anything yet... though they are known invasive species

Might be legal in that case...

lodged a MAF call so they can check it out themselves. Seems the responsible thing to do.

Thanks for the clarification cricketman. Sounds like they might be legal...... although the title is misleading, $80 per fish seems a bit excessive, and I'm sure that MAF doesn't want them sent around the country to establish new populations. Still sounds dodgy to me.

80 per fish is steep, but they are awesome fish!

invasive though, so really keeping them may cost you dearly.

having them in a small size is quite cool though, so you can see it grow, rapidly im sure.

they are hungry fellas.

i am getting planetcats to ID the fish to be sure.

but someone has said that it is a north american catfishs pecies most likely, which would indicate, it is a bullhead.

make sure you get an email from maf to say its ok

i use to keep bullheads with my oscars and aros , in my old tank.

they got to about 45cm when i had them an pretty agro even the oscars wer scared of em.

id definitely say that is a bullhead , mine were similar in colour once in the tank.

i always thought they wer illegal so just kept that on the low when i use to keep em, an in the end i did put them down an grounded them up for fish berley haha no other option...

anyway anyone wana buy some ill do them for $30 each :facepalm: hahahaha

From what I've found I believe squirt is right that they should have been destroyed at capture.

Also believe that they shouldn't be being sold or spread around the country.

sellers line that he bought it off a breeder contradicts his own listing..

Breeding the columbian is extremely difficult and has never been proven to be sucessful in captivity

then at the questions..

Got this fish from a breeder who bought it from a importer

Not on the Import list either...

Someones telling porkies... :-?

got a call back from MAF, they are illegal, they are checking up on it.

not on trademe anymore, so that at least stops them being shipped inter-island or whatever...

She said it may come down to Auckland regional council to decide if they want MAF to get more involved with finding them, which they have to still check etc...

:dunno: half-result??

System in NZ is stuffed...

Should be that if it is not meant to be here MAF have right to nuke...

Thanks Cricketman. It sounds like the problem has been sorted. I used to catch heaps of them in the Waikato while fishing for koi and I thought they had to be destroyed, well at least the koi had to be. At least this might stop another auction on TradeMe.