Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
We’ve recently updated Aquarium World! We’re working through a few bugs, with exciting new features on the way. Thanks for your patience while we fine-tune the site.

how NOT to get into a stream!

Featured Replies

so I was working for DOC doing fish surveys in the wanganui national park. On our way out and I pulled over to let an oncoming car past. I think I was a little close to the edge and the edge gave way. We rolled 200ft into a gorge-y stream. Amazingly we both only got soft-tissue injuries and concussion!

No glasses so not writing much now, but the pics are amazing!

074Medium.jpg

071Medium.jpg

I came out of here somehow. I remember rolling and being out of the car, but I don't remember being trapped, apart from lying in water.

070Medium.jpg

believe it or not, but the flash actually washed out the bruising somewhat!

080Medium.jpg

And we made the paper, I didn't really realise how lucky we were. http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/6588519/Two-survive-100m-plummet-off-cliff

To be honest I am not the sort that freaks out after something happens, I freak before. So I thought the whole thing was pretty funny

  • Replies 51
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is definitely not the best way to get a closer look at a stream... :o

Glad you managed to walk away from it.

Good to see you were not seriously hurt Stella. Did you not manage to catch a few fish while you were down there? You had 3 hours after all! :gigl:

I'm guessing that's Ruatiti Road. Growing up in Raetihi we used to drive that road to the domain all the time to go swimming in summer and I used to always look down at the drop. Gives me shivers thinking about it now.

Glad to hear you're ok! Those are some impressive photos!

Wow, that is quite amazing.

I dont think the Mrs will let you take me out spotlighting again after she see this.

Glad to see the you both got out OK-ish from that.

On our way out and I pulled over to let an oncoming car past.

Ouch, courtesy hurts :o

How does it feel today? I hope you and your fellow rollee get well soon, the wildlife of NZ need you.

  • Author

thanks guys! am really achey today, sleepy. wish i had my glasses!

slowly getting an appreciation of how lucky we were.

when trapped i asked my fried what we were doing in the area. she said spotlighting for fish (or similar), i think i replied 'cooool!'

I think there are easier ways to get published!

Quite miraculous that you survived. Rental cars tend to turn over their stock regularly so you must have got a late model with more safety features like side intrusion bars, and side air bags?

  • Author

i think the rental ute had less than 1000 kilometres on it!! and they got the canopy specially for us....

poor ute :digH:

YIKES! haven't been in the fishroom for ages but saw the article in Stuffs... glad those quick-thinking guys were there & you are relatively OK. Best wishes for a quick recovery!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.