how NOT to get into a stream!

Stella

so I was working for DOC doing fish surveys in the wanganui national park. On our way out and I pulled over to let an oncoming car past. I think I was a little close to the edge and the edge gave way. We rolled 200ft into a gorge-y stream. Amazingly we both only got soft-tissue injuries and concussion!

No glasses so not writing much now, but the pics are amazing!

074Medium.jpg

071Medium.jpg

I came out of here somehow. I remember rolling and being out of the car, but I don't remember being trapped, apart from lying in water.

070Medium.jpg

believe it or not, but the flash actually washed out the bruising somewhat!

080Medium.jpg

And we made the paper, I didn't really realise how lucky we were. http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/6588519/Two-survive-100m-plummet-off-cliff

To be honest I am not the sort that freaks out after something happens, I freak before. So I thought the whole thing was pretty funny

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing that's Ruatiti Road. Growing up in Raetihi we used to drive that road to the domain all the time to go swimming in summer and I used to always look down at the drop. Gives me shivers thinking about it now.

Glad to hear you're ok! Those are some impressive photos!

thanks guys! am really achey today, sleepy. wish i had my glasses!

slowly getting an appreciation of how lucky we were.

when trapped i asked my fried what we were doing in the area. she said spotlighting for fish (or similar), i think i replied 'cooool!'