Royal Whiptail spawn

Nymox

If you use the syphon at the same (or near the same) height as the water level (lowered to near that of the eggs/young), it should slow the flow rate, hopefully reducing the damage done to the young. You can adjust the height of the syphon bucket to increase/decrease the flow as required.

It would be better to not use a self starting syphon, you would want to use just a tube (less mechanical interference.)

Just my 2c worth...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My experience is that dad wont help and that they hatch about day 7-8

you wont syphon them so easily as they like the folks are long and stiff so they break

also eggs are sticky little things so try a low water level for sure but best I found was scraping them with a razor blade not a baster or pipette

they are VERY lazy eaters and will NOT move to food so food needs to go to them

spirilena (sp) is fine but can be toxic in high quanties so I have found very dirty glass to be best bet.

you can brush and bake egg yold on to rocks ( thanks Geoff for this advice)

My guys go in a small well cycled tank with good filtration and HEAPS of food

HTH

Awesome thanks once again Nav :hail: , lost a few last night to the discus, either that or a few have started hatching. I don't have a decent razor blade till this evening so I might loose this lot any way as I noticed the discus picking around through the substrate underneath the spawn. Not much I can do really, I stuck a breeding trap underneath them but I figure they'll just get sucked through. Next time I shall be more prepared, caught me completely off guard.

If they are still sticky use your finger and VERY GENTLY roll the eggs off the glass and out them in another tank or a floating fry thing. I do this with my cory eggs and it works fine. Someone correct me if it doesn't work with whiptail eggs.

That can work or a credit style card?

anything firm thin and flexable

if you miss this lot start conditioning your fry area now...I cant stress being prepaired for these guys enough as they will graze excessively but are lazy feeders...if that makes sense...they are great fish and we need to get these guys out there as amazing in a tank

Nav...oh and happy to help

I've loaned and given away too much stuff I don't have a small enough heater any more for a fry tank, so the sump is my only option really, but I tried using a credit card to get them off and I just ended up killing 2 so I might leave it all together this time till I am far more prepared. Need a really sharp blade to get between the egg and glass.

I have a tank outside that has lots of java moss and mulm in it, the sunset wcmm are in there. It gets fresh water daily from the daphnia pond. I'm sure I can find a little heater around some where, about 40 ltrs good foot print. I have a cycled sponge filter too.

Would it be better to put the minnows in another tank and try raise the fry in there? I would have to bring it inside but I can manually do the wc but I don't mind at all if there is more chance in raising some. I fear the return pump might get its fair share in the sump, as well as the mts.

They're so hard to spot, really the only way is to wait for them to move. As I have noticed with this batch they are far from lethargic, maybe the high water flow in the sump keeps them active. They are definitely growing too, and quite quickly. I hope they make the next 6 days I would really love a certificate for these guys!

DSCF4137.jpg

They're so hard to spot, really the only way is to wait for them to move. As I have noticed with this batch they are far from lethargic, maybe the high water flow in the sump keeps them active. They are definitely growing too, and quite quickly. I hope they make the next 6 days I would really love a certificate for these guys!

DSCF4137.jpg

edit - sorry it was supposed to be a pm