Ever done a budget for the first time and....

the new guy

Tell me about it. I spend tens of thousand on remote controll toys, lol. I've managed to hang them all up at the moment. My mate who actually keep track, spend almost 40k in the first year alone, all on remote control heli, ha ha. It's just the mid-year crisis, that's what we always joke about our addiction, lol.

I occasionally do budgets for people who think they cannot afford a third or fourth rental property.

Then I highlight the fact that in excess of $7K per month is spent on discretionary goods and items and all of a sudden everything is brought into perspective. :lol:

I give myself a budget of $250 per week to spend on rubbish and food. Rubbish includes everything from stuff I want and don't need and even fish or hobby related stuff / movies, going out etc etc.

One full tank of gas (about $130 before discounts) will last me 2 fortnights or It'll mean I have to walk everywhere.

I budget for $1000 a fortnight for food/medical/petrol for my family (me, husband, a 7 year old and a 2 year old) and it is increasingly not enough. Today we have $14 left and pay day is on Wednesday. Petrol and groceries have gone up SOOOOOO much in the last two years it is scary.

and the power bills are increasing! i budget $280 a week for everything minus rent which is definitly not enough. but we have to deal with it dont we?

I never really knew how to budget until i started working as a security officer in a winz office.......

and the power bills are increasing! i budget $280 a week for everything minus rent which is definitly not enough. but we have to deal with it dont we?

I never really knew how to budget until i started working as a security officer in a winz office.......

Yeah we do. Ain't no choice! My power bill has gone up from $180 a month in 1999 to $396 a month.

• 2 weeks later...

Our budget inc. everything is over $3800 a month. Taking into consideration I suffer from OCD so our water bill is always way more than it should be and so is our power bill... having fish isn't exactly gonna help that HAHA Not that they use much water & power....

That's everything.... including saving for things such as house and car maintenance, dentist, doctor, optometrist, medications, cats Revolution, computer related costs such as paper and ink...... insurance for the car, house etc.... superannuation, alarm monitoring..... it's a long list. :o

Currently (on the most current budget we've done) we have about $90 left each month.

We spend about $15 a week on takeaways.

It would scare me too much to think about how much i've spent on cigarettes, nights out and fast food in the last few years. That's a decent deposit on a house. Feeling a bit more mature and way better with money now! And i'm attempting to get healthy, that helps! :facepalm:

It would scare me too much to think about how much i've spent on cigarettes, nights out and fast food in the last few years. That's a decent deposit on a house. Feeling a bit more mature and way better with money now! And i'm attempting to get healthy, that helps! :facepalm:

Haha I find that attempting to get healthy in terms of food is way more expensive than eating unhealthy student food. Packet of migoreng for dinner = 50c, any fresh vege usually = at least $3, and I won't even be full from. Thank god I only have a tiny appetite and takeaways usually lasts me 2-3 meals so $10 in takeaways actually ends up being somewhat worthwhile. Alcohol, Smokes and Caffeine habits definitely drain your pockets fast though, that's why I'm somewhat glad that my body doesn't tolerate alcohol well, my nose can't stand the smell of cigs and dislike the taste of coffee. Used to drink a red bull a day and have even managed to cut that out too. Now the only things I splurge on are materials for my design course (it's pretty darn expensive) and fish.

Mi goreng noodles are really bad for you apparently something in the oil or something...

Yea I'd imagine it would be bad. I don't actually eat it that often, once or twice a month? But in terms of price, the more unhealthy the food the cheaper it seems to be. I mean K-fried and Maccers are pretty good in terms of price too, yet they are also hellishly bad for us too.

Yeah it's like $1 for 2L of fizzy and $5 for 3L of juice >.< meh...

Water is free :wink:

Farmers' Markets and other places have veg at affordable prices. Many keep well too. I can get over 8 meals out of a pumpkin (not to mention soup too) and they are cheap at the moment (I was given several for free the other day).

Water is free :wink:

Farmers' Markets and other places have veg at affordable prices. Many keep well too. I can get over 8 meals out of a pumpkin (not to mention soup too) and they are cheap at the moment (I was given several for free the other day).

Water is $1.30 for 1000 litres in Auckland

the first thing i buy for the week(besides the rent) is formula, nappies, and wipes for my son, normally about $60-$80 a week depending on the specials and then fuel to get to work. if it means i have to give up on the healthy food for cheap and unhealthy food so i can affored to buy stuff for my son so be it!

i agree all the un healthy food is alot cheaper in most cases but if you shop around you can get some cheaper vegies and meat. i normall go raid dads garden for vegies if we need some lol and some meat out of his frezzer because he has lots of sheep for meat! lol