Ever done a budget for the first time and....

the new guy

We shop at SuperValue, Countdown and New World and we save about $50 just doing it that way. I go through the books each week and find all the specials and do a list. It's annoying and it takes time. I have to admit I'd rather just go to one place lol But saving that much money on one weeks shopping is good!

Family of 2 adults and 2 children. Our budget is $220. We usually manage to stay within the budget.

And we get our milk from a shop that sells 2L bottles at 2 for 6.00. We usually go through about 6 bottles a week :o

I can tell you we just paid our rates yesterday and it was $141.77 ... It says on the bill "Total rates assessed 2011/2012 (GST Inclusive) $1051.69. The 3 monthly amount is $262.92. If that means anything to you?

Apparently it's $262.92 for 3 months, which is what he was meant to pay however we had credit on our rates account. So we've actually paid 3 months.

Yeah, that's why I was wondering if the Auck rates dropped when they introduced water charges.

I think Aucks is the only city in NZ that has metered domestic water supplies?

I don't know as we've only been in our own home since the end of June. But I think it stinks we have to pay for our water because of a drought that was years ago :an!gry I think we should pay for the water to be cleaned/treated and for the cost of maintaining the pipes, but not for the water itself because it doesn't cost the water companies anything as it comes from the sky. It should be free. Anyway, that's just my opinion...

lol yeah I guess. For the life of me I just cannot remember the name of it but you know the big containers that you put on the side of the house to collect rainwater? My parents have one. I was thinking about having one of those but our section is so small it would just be silly because it would take up so much room.

lol yeah I guess. For the life of me I just cannot remember the name of it but you know the big containers that you put on the side of the house to collect rainwater? My parents have one. I was thinking about having one of those but our section is so small it would just be silly because it would take up so much room.

there always really cleaning out your gutters and then just placing a plastic drum at the end of the downpipe? then you just need to get it out of the drum :)

Apparently it's $262.92 for 3 months, which is what he was meant to pay however we had credit on our rates account. So we've actually paid 3 months.

262.92 * 4 (quarters) = ~$1051.69. So yeah, you must have been $262.92 - $141.77 in credit. Usually happens when you pay or start paying partway though a quarterly cycle.

Farmers' Markets and other places have veg at affordable prices. Many keep well too. I can get over 8 meals out of a pumpkin (not to mention soup too) and they are cheap at the moment (I was given several for free the other day).

I try and only buy from the farmers markets. Way cheaper than the supermarket and the quality is so much better. I was pretty happy with myself the other day. $20 and I got two bags of plums, heaps of golden kiwi fruit, 2 heads of brocolli, fancy lettuce, spring onions, leeks and whatnot. And I seem to be the only one in the house that's a total fruit and vege fiend, so it's good. :P

Leeks at the supermarket were $2.50 each for these tiny little things, as opposed to $1 for one twice the size and so much tastier. It's worth getting up early on a Saturday morning for delicious things!

And I like to attempt to grow veges you don't see in the shops so often. Pak Choi and kohlrabi are super! I spend too much time tracking down funny coloured or random veges from various websites. It's a sad obsession!

My ultimate goal is to be pretty self sufficient, i'm forever dreaming about things haha, i grew up in the middle of nowhere surrounded by farms and I have an obsession with chickens, so i'm planning to settle in one place and find some nice hens next year! Nothing better than fresh eggs! :happy2:

262.92 * 4 (quarters) = ~$1051.69. So yeah, you must have been $262.92 - $141.77 in credit. Usually happens when you pay or start paying partway though a quarterly cycle.

Yeah we bought the house off my parents and they had credit on their rates account and they said we could have it. I had forgotten about it lol

I guess there is many many ways of saving money. ya just gotta really think or ask advice. anyone got an off grid power system?

Ya mean those things where you use your credit card or something to top up your account at home. My parents used to have this. There was a thing in one of their bedrooms ... but it was after I left home so I don't know much about it.