HOLY GRAIL - what is your holy grail type of tank and fish

henward

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was one whole sheet of glass it would more than likely crack in the middle where the most pressure would be, having two sheets of glass decreases the amount of flex on one point.

Remember its not an ordinary glass tank, the top, bottom and sides are held IN with the concrete? edge on the outside.

My guess is that the silicone is not structural at all but merely a sealant.

Pick up a long sheet of ply and watch it sag in the middle, cut it in half and pick up one side and you won't see it sag anymore.

i see, i get it!

see i understand that:D

makes sense.

also sves on the cost of glass you probably wont need as thcik.

silicone joines will more than be sufficient to hold water in.

awesome idea!

i want a tank like that one day

no

when i buy house

ill build one in the garage, fully insulated, probably a heat pump is more efficient.

i want the whole ladder on the side to climb into it:D

it will definitely be an aro comm!!

a lot of clown loaches, bichirs, multiple eels - and as many different species of fancy plecs i can get that gets over a certain size:D

and ... i want a massive piece of wood, maybe an entire manuka tree

lighting will be LED overhead, it will be open top with a glass wall surrounding the whole top area with branches on top so the aros can jump and get live food ifthey want, and jump as much as they need to.

hard to explain

A large wide tank with rays would be one of my 'holy grail' tanks, something like this 8x6x3' would do...

http://youtu.be/TJyyivy19Y0

I visited him when I was in London a couple of weeks back, pics and video just don't do the fish justice, they truly are massive. Might post a couple of pics of me feeding them when I get back...

His old set up with the Uaru fernandezyepezi is also pretty close to another of my 'holy grails'....

http://youtu.be/ta8aahOu2hc

wow

my dream would be that tank - slightly larger, with clowns, discus, large aro comm, bichirs, lots of fancy plecs big or small...

so when its feeding time they jsut come out.

wonder if its maintainable with fish in it or just planted?

i would in vest in a solar heating system for a tank like that. maybe solar tubes, and LED lights, low power, will pay off in the end.

bishop

that is the type of tank i want!

but much larger in terms of scale.

so there are plants where insects and stuff can reside lol

looks very natural.

I have a 450L which I am going to try and do a similar thing but I agree, I would love this on a larger scale, frogs, lizards, fish, insects. Basically I want to make a self sustainable bio dome.

Edit: That I can figit with as well of course :facepalm: