Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

guppies post your pics

Featured Replies

What about Swallow and Merah?

I wouldn't really call them tail shapes, rather genes that affect the growth of fin rays ( Swallow ) or webbing ( Merah ) as both also effect fins other then the tail. :smln:

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 174
  • Views 68.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Good evening,   Black Lace crossed into my Swallow Tail Guppies:   Flamenco Dancer:   Something new to play with:   Blue Tiger Endler:   Cheers, JaSa

  • More of the Lutino (WREA) Asia Blau Endler:   Something for the blue lovers:   Swallow Tail Guppies:   Blue and Multi Coloured Tiger Endler:   Cheers, JaSa

  • Green Lutino (WREA)  Endler: This little bugger even shows Snake Chest which I have never seen in the lines I used to creat them...   Cheers, JaSa

Posted Images

Regarding tail shapes I'd argue that's all any tail shape is.

As for photos:

mwqs91.jpg

Berlin Pandas. Several generations from caseroles stock earlier in the thread. Throwing just short of 90% berlin fry.

  • 2 months later...

Magenta Platinum Male:

DSC_1375_sml.JPG DSC_1376_sml.JPG DSC_1383_sml.JPG

Copper Tail Guppies:

DSC_1392_sml.JPG DSC_1394_sml.JPG DSC_1395_sml.JPG DSC_1396_sml.JPG

Pink, Pink Platinum & Panda Guppies:

DSC_1425_sml.JPG DSC_1454_sml.JPG DSC_1368_sml.JPG

A very nice Black Lace female guppy:

DSC_1432_sml.JPG

Cheers,

JaSa

  • 2 months later...

I used to keep guppies a couple of years ago.

All started with one yellow snakeskin male (fine snakeskin, with a half-pie sort of topsword) from Animates, and two pre-hit females from Wetpets. They got their own 120 L tropical tank, the lucky fish. My plan was to keep the best-looking male (jokingly called 'Henry n') and most of the females in the big tank and place all the other males in a reserve tank. Any time Henry n passed on I'd pick the next best male out of the reserve tank and replace into the big tank. On occasion I sold or gave away a few females. Most of the males lived a bachelor life. I got up to Henry III before a lack of maintenance caught up (a relative was looking after the tank). The lowest range of the temperature was 16 degrees, to try to reduce maintenance and increase lifespan.

Henry I

I can't find photos of this one at the moment; I think it's on my old computer. I'll chuck it up some time. But imagine a yellow fine snakeskin guppy with grey body with very slight blue-purple iridescence, with a poor excuse for a topsword, and whose dorsal fin and tail are about the same colour as the body. On the shoulder, a blue eye-like patch with reddish eyebrow.

Henry II

The pinnacle of the lot. The snakeskin is a coarse type, with nice matching dorsal fin and black where there was no green/yellow, but what was really interesting was the colour. The camera flash exaggerates it, but there was a definite green-ness (but not moscow). The shape and that eye-like mark on the shoulder shows it was probably a relative of Henry I (whose eye-like shoulder mark tended to carry through).

3401086432_bed882618d_z.jpg3973682066_673b14579b_z.jpg

Henry III

Almost a spitting image of Henry I except for the orange (instead of yellow) tail which was fully-developed with nice definite corners (instead of a half-pie topsword). The tell-tale shoulder eye is there. (Terrible cellphone photo.)

15335587956_1989f06cbf_z.jpg

Does anyone breed any snakeskins that look like the Henry II one above? I've got some tanks set up up here so would be keen on them.

He there :)

Swallow Tail Guppies:

A5LJEM.jpg DK7G72.jpg

Still love my Tiger Endlers:

95JF2.jpg P27HUT.jpg

Black Bar Elongatus showing colour in dorsal fin now:

WWLX37.jpg

(Not so white) White Platinum Guppy:

JSAFYK.jpg FXTEAJ.jpg

Magenta Platinum:

319ZRV.jpg KLC6J5.jpg

Snake Chest with a bit of JP (?):

UZ7S8.jpg

Asia Blau:

5LUQT.jpg 4ECG1K.jpg

Flamenco Dancer:

QXQF.jpg M11ME8.jpg 7GNGUQ.jpg 6KM1MN.jpg YRPMSC.jpg

The long and stony way to create the See-Thru Guppie from scratch:

WWZ75D.jpg R3BYGS.jpg JULGVZ.jpg

Cheers,

JaSa

  • 3 months later...

A little update out of the fish room:

The next generation of Glass Belly Guppies is growing nicely. Some of them have most of their silver skin missing now but there is still a long way to go. Once the silver skin is gone completly I will than introduce Albino and Asia Blau into the strain. The final result will be the famous See-Thru Guppy (Google for pictures). Below a picture of one of my breeding females:

206t.jpg

The picture below is F1 from a crossing between a Pink Lady Guppy male I got from caserole (Thank you!) and a Red Chest Endler and looks very close to the original Japan Blue. A couple of generations of selective breeding further down the track should result in nice looking Japan Blue Guppies. First ones in NZ as far as I know:

208t.jpg

Below another first in NZ - Blond and Albino Red Chest Endler Hybrids. Three generations and 12 month after crossing a Red Chest Endler male with a Magenta Blond female from caserole, the first Blond and Albino Red Chest Hybrids are looking very nice.

Somehow the Magenta got lost on the way so after I have build up stock numbers, I will introduce this trait again with another crossing.

215t.jpg

Last but not least - something funny out of my fish room: A hermaphrodite Guppy:

218t.jpg 217t.jpg 219t.jpg

First she looked like any other female but than she showed more and more colour and finally grew a gonopodium. Now "she" even displays to the other females...

Enough for today :)

Cheers,

JaSa

The quality of the guppies you're breeding is awesome, likely the best in NZ, keep up the amazing work!

Also, I googled see thru guppy :o Zombies are real!

  • 3 weeks later...

Good Evening.

New strain that was in the making for the last 9 month; The Blue Tiger Endler - I love them :) :

227t.jpg 229t.jpg

A little side project from above, The Blond Tiger Endler - boooooring!!! => into the feeder tank :

235t.jpg 232t.jpg 233t.jpg 234t.jpg

@caserole:

Any idea ?¿?¿?

Definitely not JP and very, very unlikely Asia Blau. Came out of your Blond Magenta x Red Chest ...

223t.jpg 222t.jpg

Cheers,

JaSa

I don't know if I like you Blue Tigers mate.

The body colour is great, really really nice.

But man what's with the tail!

It so dark it distracts my eye from the rest of the fish, that needs improving if you can.

I did not realise your Blonde tigers were So nice.

They are Not Boring at all.

I really like the "negative effect" of the missing black bars of the Tigrinus gene.

Don't Dump them, send them to me.

As for the Magenta x Red Chest fish you didn't mention if they were F0 or F1's?

Or if the magenta you used were Heterozygous or homozygous.

Or how mature they are.

Solid metal like colouring with a blue'ish hue.

Only 2 choices really don't you think.

I didn't take the time to work out what was causing a similar look in the Pink mutation Guppies I had.

But it was likely to be an Autosomal recessive gene as it turned up in the F1's

>> I think it was leading in the direction of either Micariff or Storzbach.

But which I don't know, and I don't think you will be interested in finding out.

Unless your hedging on Storzbach??

Stu

Evening :)

Blue Tiger and it's tail:

That is what Pink does to the little sword markings :wink: Hopefully there will be one without that further down the track => no ugly tail.

Blond Tigers:

You can have them :)

The blue surprise fish:

Goes back to one of the two original Blond Magenta females you sent me. So you tell me if hetero or homo 8)

Ah, and it is F2, three month old. The only one in 50 fry.

Cheers,

JaSa

You telling me your Blue Tigers aren't really blue?

Yeah, send the the Blondes, they can have a home here.

Give that mystery male to someone with a big fish to swim with as company.

  • 1 month later...

Hybrids:

249t.jpg 250t.jpg 253t.jpg 254t.jpg 256t.jpg

Fish are only 2 month old and lost a fair bit of black in the little glass that I used to take the photos. Imagin them older and fully coloured up with a deep black - stunning. Also interesting: All have coloured ventral fins and gonopodiums...

Cheers,

JaSa

  • 1 month later...
Hybrids:

249t.jpg 250t.jpg 253t.jpg 254t.jpg 256t.jpg

Fish are only 2 month old and lost a fair bit of black in the little glass that I used to take the photos. Imagin them older and fully coloured up with a deep black - stunning. Also interesting: All have coloured ventral fins and gonopodiums...

Cheers,

JaSa

Love these guys. Very interesting looking.

Thank you :)

A few went to ExoticAquatics, the rest went to the chickens as high protein food. Only the guy from the last picture is still around and will be used to breed something very special - but totally different looking 8)

Cheers,

JaSa

  • 4 weeks later...

Classic Japan Blue:

275t.jpg 276t.jpg 277t.jpg 278t.jpg 279t.jpg 280t.jpg 281t.jpg 282t.jpg

Some random Hybrids:

285t.jpg 286t.jpg 287t.jpg 288t.jpg 289t.jpg

Koi Swordtail:

290t.jpg

Albino Grass & Albino Lace. Tails are horrible but it's only F2. Grass showing top swords:

296t.jpg 297t.jpg 298t.jpg 299t.jpg 300t.jpg

Different Tiger Endler lines - some good, some not so much:

307t.jpg 308t.jpg 309t.jpg 310t.jpg 311t.jpg 312t.jpg

Cheers,

JaSa

I really like your guppies JaSa.

Thank you :)

Making me want to keep them again

Mission accomplished!

Guppies are highly underrated and I try to show people that there is so much more to them than the † quality ones you usually see in the LFS and on TM.

Cheers,

JaSa

Fantastic guppies JaSa, those Jap blues and near-full-blues look exciting.

How are the glass-bellies going?

I have a pair with a fair bit of silver skin missing that popped up at random from some snakeskin imports. Trying to get around to taking photos, but not really sure I actually like them enough to keep them.

How are the glass-bellies going?

Yup, still working on them. Surprisingly fertile for the intense inbreeding programm I run so there are good numbers to select from. On the other hand progress is slow with only a tiny bit more missing after every generation. Could be another 12 month - who knows... There is already a related strain of Asia Blau and an Albino-Strain ready to cross with them to get a See-Thru Guppy. So once I get to that point it's all good :wink:

  • 1 month later...

Multicoloured Tiger Endler :

331t.jpg 335t.jpg 337t.jpg 338t.jpg 339t.jpg

This one is pink at the back - sadly doesn't look that impressive on the pictures:

341t.jpg 343t.jpg

Blonde Tiger with Wagtail:

344t.jpg

Blonde basecolour isn't supposed to show black colour so I'm a bit confused by this fish to be honest. Never seen anything like this before.

Just normal Tiger Endler:

350t.jpg 351t.jpg 353t.jpg 354t.jpg

Update from the Glass Belly Guppies:

345t.jpg 346t.jpg 347t.jpg

As you can see nearly all of the silver skin is gone and also the silver layer on the gills. Not many generations to go now !

Another drop of Swallow Tail Guppies. With 25% the best result I had so far:

348t.jpg 349t.jpg

Cheers,

JaSa

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.