Best diy co2 combinations?

s3xtcy

hey everyone, ive started up my diy c02 again, im using a 2.25l sprite bottle, a check valve and a bubble stone to diffuse.

Just wondering what the best combinations people have cme up with for a good amount of c02 and long(ish) lasting?

i did the bottle at approx 1200 today, 6cups water, 3/4 cup sugar, and 1tsp of yeast, and its pretty much almost dead :( - most unimpressed.

Any stories (successful or not) would be great to hear! thanks!! :)

i did the bottle at approx 1200 today, 6cups water, 3/4 cup sugar, and 1tsp of yeast, and its pretty much almost dead :( - most unimpressed.

Any stories (successful or not) would be great to hear! thanks!! :)

I thought it took a day or two for the yeast to start breeding start producing well? Not less than 5 hours to be depleted.

yeah it was pretty wierd.. there was a few bubbles to begin with but then pressure droped off completely, anyway ive redone the lid (made it incredibly airtight) and redone the bottle. Method used is :

2cup sugar

1tsp yeast (mixed it in with lukewarm water alot)

1tsp baking soda

2/3rds full of warm water.

Put it in a bucket of warm water, now getting beautiful little bubbles after a hour of it being connected.

2ish hours later and now its producing a good rate of bubbles, will see how long this lasts. :)

Thanks SamH, ill see how long this lasts, so far it was going all night, and day today, quite a high output (although most of it is probably being wasted)

Problem i now face is my pH fluctuations (cant spell haha) it was really high thismorning, and very low this afternoon, is there anything I can add to the water to help reduce the swings? dont think my fishies will be too tolerant if the swing keeps going...

next question, do i leave it overnight again? ive read that turning off the co2 overnight can make it swing just as much? Thanks :)

I use a 4L bottle filled with:

2 cups sugar

1/4 tsp yeast

3L water

Begins bubbling within a few hours and lasts around 3 weeks averaging 1.5 bubble/sec I reckon

Not sure if thats a little or a lot but thats what I do and plants seem to be doing good (so does the green algea as well though)

air into the tank over night is good. i never turned mine off but found the fish to be gasping in the mornign as the plants use O2 at night and CO2 during the day. an air supply is important to keep the fish happy. and lots of plants would lever out the pH swings wouldn't it?

If you want to lessen the pH swing you need to buffer or harden the water, adding a little coral into the filter will help or if you want to do it quickly baking soda or a proper pH product from your LFS will do it.

plants use O2 at night and CO2 during the day.

Plants actually just produce less O2 at night and use less CO2, they don't actually switch between the two. But the result is the same, less O2 for the fish. The CO2 probably doesn't change that much because it has a saturation point where it wont go higher, the CO2 injection should have the level at saturation point all the time anyway.

hey everyone, ive started up my diy c02 again, im using a 2.25l sprite bottle, a check valve and a bubble stone to diffuse.

Whatever you do, DO NOT use one of those air stones, or 'bubble stones' as you put it, for CO2. They get clogged, and then the pressure in the CO2 bottle builds up and the bottle bursts and then you have a huge, smelly mess everywhere! Use a proper glass and ceramic CO2 diffuser or a ladder reactor or shove the CO2 line in the filter outlet or something.

• 2 months later...

Hello!

I got a co2 canister regulator off eBay for around $30 USD, the bought a Paintball Co2 canister from trademe for about $50. And a Co2 Mixer off eBay for about $30 USD including shipping.

The tank lasts about 3 months at 1 bubble per second, and the tank is $7 to fill (i get it filled up at a bb gun store in Kingsland Auckland)

Ill post pics tomorrow, was going to do it now, but its to dark for the iPhone.

Hey sorry everyone, i meant to update photos of my co2 rig since i went to Pressurised, here are some photos :)

2011-06-27_18-31-53_885.jpg

2011-06-27_18-31-43_117.jpg

all up cost about $200nzd including sodastream bottle, which is pretty cheap considering the alternatives i thought!

Anyway im very happy with how its running, turns off and on with the lights and works perfectly. Plants are getting better and better each day and my pH has stopped bouncing around :)

so far bottle has lasted about two months and the needle hasnt moved more than 1/3rd of the total pressure from new, :) very happy with the outcome!

Hey sorry everyone, i meant to update photos of my co2 rig since i went to Pressurised, here are some photos :)

2011-06-27_18-31-53_885.jpg

2011-06-27_18-31-43_117.jpg

all up cost about $200nzd including sodastream bottle, which is pretty cheap considering the alternatives i thought!

Anyway im very happy with how its running, turns off and on with the lights and works perfectly. Plants are getting better and better each day and my pH has stopped bouncing around :)

so far bottle has lasted about two months and the needle hasnt moved more than 1/3rd of the total pressure from new, :) very happy with the outcome!

Does your regulator switch on and off with power?

How much was it? Where from?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

yeah I did, and honestly this was the most frustrating part of the whole setup, I ordered the reg, glassware, tubing, etc all from ebay, then when it arrived my friend who was going to make a adaptor had a problem at work and couldnt make it for 4 weeks! sooo.. i bought one off a brewing company based in aus, off ebay again. "ultimatehomebrew" company i think they were called from memory, it works perfectly :D

• 1 year later...

sodastream set up is good for my 22L lasts about 3 months, switch on and off with lights

Sodastream bottle from farmers $35.... refills $6 from gas shop

Sodastream adaptor http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=924 $44 (about a week to get here)

Glass diffuser $12, bubble counter $8, non return valve $8, Hosing $5 and Regulator with needle valve & solinoid $115 from Valray (trademe)

• 8 months later...