JAPAN 8.4 EARTHQUAKE

Zayne

7-10M high tsunami travelled up to 2km inland :o warning issued for many nations along the pacific 'ring of fire', including us and aussie.

Amazing footage of the wave coming in on Japan, immense wave travelling crazy fast - check out pics of the large fishing vessels thrown onto land.

As if 8.9 wasn't bad enough... they get hammered with a Tsunami.... shame it didn't go over the fire at their oil terminal.

Looks like the quake itself, being well offcoast actually wasn't that bad, the clips I've seen anyway it looks like the actual ground movement in cities was significantly less than chch.

Looks like the quake itself, being well offcoast actually wasn't that bad, the clips I've seen anyway it looks like the actual ground movement in cities was significantly less than chch.

Yeah, I can't get over how they're all just standing around in those clips of the quake... In the Christchurch big ones, you couldn't stand, people were thrown to the ground.

The footage of the tsunamis coming inland is unbelievable! Thoughts and prayers for anyone with friends or family in Japan.

My sister is in Hawaii, got woken up by the tsunami warning siren (just a warning though, not an actual evacuation) and decided to go stay with some people she just met further inland...

A meltdown is what happens when the core is already compromised by overheating. Given that they have the situation under control for now and are cooling the core with ocean water it is highly unlikely. Once power is back on I'm confident they will cool it more.

I think people need to get over Chernobyl and not be so worried about nuclear power.

I feel many people are stuck in the past! Nuclear energy is THE cleanest, greenest source of energy.

People love hydro and wind power. Has any one actually considered the cost and resources needed to make the turbines and windmills? Resources = fuel = huge economic and environmental cost. Nuclear power is much much cleaner, more efficient, and more sustainable. The top minds in the world are exploring newer and better ways to dispose of nuclear waste.

I feel many people are stuck in the past! Nuclear energy is THE cleanest, greenest source of energy.

People love hydro and wind power. Has any one actually considered the cost and resources needed to make the turbines and windmills? Resources = fuel = huge economic and environmental cost. Nuclear power is much much cleaner, more efficient, and more sustainable. The top minds in the world are exploring newer and better ways to dispose of nuclear waste.

i agree p44 the ecological cost of a hydro dam is very great. one nuclear power plant would solve our energy problems for the next 25years+

as long as it was in the north island somewhere :nilly: