January 4, 201115 yr comment_413692 are old nz 50,20,10,5,2 and 1 cent coins safe for auqariums? Report
January 4, 201115 yr comment_413693 I think the copper ones are bad.. I remember people telling me they used to stick them in their tank to get rid of snails and things. Report
January 4, 201115 yr Author comment_413695 if they get rid of snails thats good but I don't want them to harm the fish Report
January 4, 201115 yr Author comment_413696 they look real neat so would coating them with something ,say varnish, stop the copper irons from leeching Report
January 4, 201115 yr comment_413698 They were used as a source of copper and were removed when the snails left the water to escape the copper. Used to treat whitespot and velvet. I wouldn't use them. It is a bit like puting a bottle of poison in there and hoping the cork does not come loose. Report
January 4, 201115 yr Author comment_413703 would copper ones still be fine if coated in varnish? Report
January 4, 201115 yr comment_413705 Do you want them in there just for ornamental purposes, or do you want to kill snails? I don't know how safe they will be. I think you should just buy some stuff to kill the snails that is aquarium-safe instead of risking your fishes' lives. Also if you just want them as ornaments, why do you want them in the tank? Can't you just store them in an envelope and look at them whenever you want to? Or put them on your shelf? Personally I think it is best to keep an aquarium as natural as possible, because it looks FAR better and the inhabitants will be happier Report
January 4, 201115 yr comment_413712 Send the gold ones to me and I will replace them with safe ones. Report
January 4, 201115 yr comment_413718 Send the gold ones to me and I will replace them with safe ones. Would they be edible by any chance? :lol: Report
January 4, 201115 yr Author comment_413747 they were for ornimental purposes but I wont use the copper ones, the silver shouldnt leech anything Report
January 4, 201115 yr comment_413755 I still think you shouldn't use any oraments. From experience I have found you will get much more pleasure out of your tank if you keep stuff natural Report
January 4, 201115 yr comment_413756 each to their own joe the gold and silver ones contain a mix of metals Report
January 4, 201115 yr comment_413765 I would think the silver ones would kill the bacterium in the tank/filter. ie bad. Report
January 4, 201115 yr comment_413793 I thought they were nickel coated, nickel poisoning can cause blindness in humans. Australian 1 and 2 dollar coins are made from 92 percent copper, 6 percent aluminium and 2 percent nickel, I expect our coins to be similar. Report
January 4, 201115 yr comment_413839 Sorry to be blunt, but how about just NO, not a good idea. In my "book". metal of any kind (including lead weights that come with bunched plants) in an aquarium is a big no no. Report
January 4, 201115 yr comment_413866 Lead weights are not a problem. Given their half life they are not about to decay in your aquarium even if you do no water changes for the next 100 years and live to tell the tale. Report
January 4, 201115 yr comment_413897 I hold my cucumber down using a lead fishing sinker. Others use them to weigh down driftwood that refuses to sink. Report
January 5, 201115 yr Author comment_413957 not a problem now only have 3 decor items -driftwood -rock cave (made from river rocks and silicone sealant) - glass bottle ( not sure what it contained but it was from a long time ago!, washed and safe) and of course the plants! Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.