Insect identification anyone? / insect photos

Insect Direct

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That fly looks a bit like the March fly that is native to Australia.

The odd one may get blown over this way.

http://www.ozanimals.com/Insect/March-F ... mily/.html

Disagree.

Different family.

I'd say it's a relative of Adejeania vexatrix

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adejeania_vexatrix

Though it wouldn't be one, as we don't have them here?

I have a question regarding Praying mantis. I have one on my little lemon tree and it used to be green but have since turned yellow. Is that normal? I've only ever seen green ones or baby brown ones around here before but never full grown yellow one like this.

I've also been finding a lot of small wasp like critters dead around the house. Every summer they manage to get in (even if the windows and doors of that room are closed almost 24/7) and just die near one of my always closed windows. They are about a 1cm long, shaped like a wasp, but without the extra long back legs, completely black, and makes a slight buzzing noise as they fly, usually buzzing quite loudly as the fly at my ceiling lights. I'll see if I can get a picture the one.

Just always wondered what they are, my sis and I just call them 'wly's since they look like wasps, act a little more like flys, and i don't know WHY they always come in and die.

Edit: Just thought I'd add a photo of the mantis :)

P1120601.jpg

thats cool, maybe trying to be a lemon :D

maybe just a variant or camo, i no next to nothign about them though so maybe someone else has another idea.

wouldnt mind keeping some actually, and stick insects :P

not sure about the wasps sorry. other than if your house had been sprayed with insecticide in the past.

Your mantis is the introduced South African one, slowly spreading south and displacing the natives. I didn't know they could change colour, but there definitely is a fair bit of colour variation amongst them, on a continuum from brown to green.

The native mantis is quite straight-bodied, with a thorax a similar width to the abdomen (not waisted like your girl), is a solid dark green with bold blue ears on the inside of the forelimbs.