Opinions please, Am I a wimpy git?

Carlos & Siran

I've just finished my 4th week at a new job and something happened yesterday that I'd like to share with you and perhaps get your opinion on whether you feel I did the right thing or not.

This is quite a large farm, over 1100 cows and there are 4 full time staff and 1 part timer plus the boss.

All of us are fairly new here except one guy who's been here for over 4 years, but what's unusual is he is not 2ic, that title belongs to the fulla who got here about 3 months ago.

I get on well with everyone, but I have slowly discovered that the guy that's been here for 4 years is a bit of a crap stirrer and will run off to the boss and tattle at the slightest excuse, he is also rather incompetent, he says he's been farming for over 35 years and yet I've seen him do some really dodgy things just in the small time I've been here when it comes to animal health and the like.

But the main thing I noticed early on when I stood next to him in the shed was the unmistakable smell of alcohol, at first I assumed he had a few to many at night but then one day Siran saw him driving up the driveway in the JCB with a stubby tucked neatly between his legs (on the weekend when the boss wasn't here of course) and one afternoon (once again on the bossless weekend) he was on cups off and was swigging back a beer. I frowned at this but thought, hey I'm new here and one beer here or there won't hurt.

But in the last week, I've noticed he'll disappear for 15/20 minutes and then turn up smelling of alcohol, not beer but bourbon. several times a day and after lunch.

Then yesterday I walked into the the little office area and here he is, sitting at the bosses desk, eating a subway and drinking a Cody's at 2pm in the afternoon.

I looked at him, looked at the cody's and said "Hey, what's that?" He looked a little sheepish but shrugged and said "My lunch" and I replied "hey dude you shouldn't be doing that, not during work hours" and he just grinned, stood up, hid the empty cody's can in the rubbish and went and fed out in the tractor, well, that really got my goat up, I was fuming.

How arrogant do you have to be to not only break an obviously serious rule but do it in the bosses office and then go and drive a heavy vehicle, and on top of that barely hide the evidence in the rubbish bin at the shed!!

So as soon as I saw the 2ic I told him, and showed him the can in the rubbish. The 2ic thanked me, wasn't in the least surprised and we went our separate ways.

Last night he came over for a few bourbons of our own but after hours as you're supposed to, and he told me he'd talked to him about it and of course he denied it all.

Anyway, long story short, he reprimanded him and gave him an ultimatum. But then the 2ic said something to me that took me by surprise, he said, 'but aren't you being a bit of a wimp? and I said"huh? and he said, "well......all kiwis drink, it's what we do"

What the???????????

No, I do not feel I was being a wimp, you do not drink alcohol during work hours, especially if you drive heavy machinery and work with large animals such as cows. What if he had a accident in the JCB and killed one of us??

I cannot believe New Zealanders attitudes concerning drinking!!!!

So, do you agree with me, and did I do the right thing or do you agree with the 2ic, and I'm just whining and should let the man have his afternoon tipple?

Yeah I would go straight to the boss (providing he isn't in the drinking club too), sounds like the guy is an alcoholic and not the type of person anyone wants to have working for them (obviously without treatment etc), or with them I certainly wouldn't want anyone who had been drinking bourbon to be operating heavy machinery around me.

When in my eary twenties I was a shift foreman in charge of a dozen or so people in a factory with very dangerous machinery and a guy turned up to work on one of the most dangerous machines in an obviously drunk state. I said that if he went home I would tell the boss that he had rung in sick but that I would only do it once. He kept asking if I was firing him and I kept repeating what I had said. In the end I fired him. If you allow that to continue he will kill/injure himself or someone else. You did exactly the right thing and the 2ic is an idiot and should not be in the job. In case you think I am a wowser, I am an alcoholic that gave it up about 8 years ago

All of us are fairly new here except one guy who's been here for over 4 years, but what's unusual is he is not 2ic

Not so unusual after reading the rest. Probably best to go to the big boss and tell the whole story about the drinker and the 2ic and see what he thinks. Hopefully he's not on their side.

You have a duty to report it to OSH, if you don't report it to the top boss and the idiot goes on to hurt or kill someone you could be held liable .... at least (for your protection) email or write to the 2IC stating your thoughts and what you see as the outcome, you then have proof you have passed this on to a Manager and put liability on him.

You are totally 100% right with your attitude but I also think you should cover your back. You sound like a young person and young people can sometimes be manouvered into a corner. Maybe you could find someone more experienced in life who could offer some good advice?

Maybe you could find someone more experienced in life who could offer some good advice?

:lol: could be a relevant comment if you were talking about his son :D

you have done the right thing Carlos. just relax & let it run its course, you are not the one performing an offence so don't stress.

Sucks to hear Carlos. One problem after another eh?

Sounds like you work with a bunch of gits. Drinking at the workspace is not on. If someone gets hurt or injured as a result of careless operation due to alcohol related claims; ACC and the department of labour would eat that farm and its owner for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Hope everything works out for you in the end, but remember not to allow yourself to get cornered by these other guys on any way. One mistake and they will try making your life a living hell.

Just be careful that he is not related to the boss, or a very good friend that he thinks he is doing a 'favour' for by employing him when no one else will.

I would also be very careful of the above. If he isn't in charge after 4 years and its obvious he's a drinker (how can you miss the smell?), I would say he is a friend of the boss maybe or the boss feels a certain loyalty for him after 4 years. If he's got a family and the boss knows it would make firing him that much harder. But I do agree drinking in the workplace is not acceptable. Maybe make a complaint in writing and keep a copy?

If he isn't in charge after 4 years and its obvious he's a drinker (how can you miss the smell?)

How can you smell what doesn't exist? I'm convinced claims of being able to smell when people are drinking are old wives tales and urban legends.

• 2 weeks later...