November 23, 201015 yr comment_406922 Hey guys, how's it going. Thought I should introduce myself here . I just started fish keeping, newbie so any advices are welcome. Bought my 60L tank with 3 neon tetras at a garage sale about a week ago hehe. The fish are doing great but I have no idea how to determine whether they are male or female haha :lol:. Anyway, my tank is pretty empty with 3 tetras so anyone know where I can buy some new fish? preferably tetras or guppies since I heard they are great for beginners like me. And I'm in East Auckland btw, Pakuranga more exact. Cheers Report
November 23, 201015 yr comment_406927 I hope everyone gives you as much of a warm welcome as L.A did Welcome! Report
November 23, 201015 yr comment_406939 Welcome I'm very close to pakuranga! Botany :lol: You could try Hollywood fish farm in mount roskill. Or if you want guppies i'm sure I have a few spare Report
November 23, 201015 yr comment_406949 you can go into user control panel at the top of the page then into your profile and put your location in so in the future local people may be able to help Report
November 23, 201015 yr comment_406955 Hi and welcome. Neons are hard to sex. Females will be fatter. 60L is small so be careful how many, and what sort, of fish you add. Neons like to be in a group of 6 or more so I would get more of them for a start. Report
November 23, 201015 yr Author comment_406968 Thanks guys, I feel welcome already hehe. All the neons look the same to me, so either they are all male or all female. Could that be why they don't breed? haha Joshlikesfish: Mt Roskill is a long drive wouldn't that be bad for the fish? I just need a pair or so they will probably fill up the tank later with babies haha. And how late do you guys feed your fish at night? my neons seem to be sleeping after 7 or 8pm. Is that normal? Report
November 23, 201015 yr comment_406972 Joshlikesfish: Mt Roskill is a long drive wouldn't that be bad for the fish? I just need a pair or so they will probably fill up the tank later with babies haha.Its a hell of a lot better then all the other fish stores around here :lol: If you'd like a trio of guppies (a male and two females to spread the aggression), send me a PM and I'll organize something Report
November 23, 201015 yr comment_406973 Joshlikesfish: Mt Roskill is a long drive wouldn't that be bad for the fish? How far would it be from where you are? 30mins? So long as you package the fish right, 30mins is nothing. People ship fish all over the country, often taking hours or a whole day. If you want to be sure, just keep the fish in a dark, insulated container. And how late do you guys feed your fish at night? my neons seem to be sleeping after 7 or 8pm. Is that normal? Personally, my fish sleep when it's dark :lol: Just feed them when the lights are on, if you forget it's not a big deal. Fish can go for two weeks without food. HTH Report
November 24, 201015 yr comment_407028 Welcome. Neons don't really breed without any effort/preparation put into spawning them. Guppies however will breed all day long. HTH Report
November 24, 201015 yr comment_407083 Woooohoo and Welcome! Good to see another east aucklander! I'm in Pakuranga/Bucklands Beach area too. Report
November 24, 201015 yr Author comment_407145 heh thanks all for the warm welcome guys, really appreciated. Strong Aucklanders presence in here hehe Yeah it's about half an hour drive to Mt Roskill, but I don't have my own car so prefer somewhere nearby so i can bike, walk or get someone to give me a lift as it's not too far. Report
November 24, 201015 yr comment_407153 Welcome - enjoy your time on the forums. There's quite a few of you out South East Auckland now. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.