Arowana at the Auckland zoo

Jaxxnz

Hey guys, Family out at the Auckland Zoo today.

When to see the monkey, as i looked into the water i though i saw 60cm+ Arowana swimming!

I was too busy emulating monkey noise, i did =nt get chance to ask the staff,

any1 here had seen or hear any thing aboiut Aro at our Zoo?

Got to say we have one of the best zoo,better that Oz zoo for sure!

I havnt been in our zoo for 10yrs now its a big change, its great holiday for the little one! :wink:

When I went maybe 5 years back, I think the reptiles were in the aquarium too. Does that mean they're gone too? Maybe I won't bother going there if my 2 fave things are gone...

[edit] I just had a flashback....

I remember feeling really stressed last time I went there, at every exhibit that involved glass, there would be kids (and sometimes adults) banging on it as hard as they could while their parents stood around going "duuuuuur'. And in the kidzone bit, with the frog enclosure... It had netting as a side and a kid was banging on it. I tried a nice way to get the kid to behave and said "if you stand still, you'll see that little froggie catch the fly!" The kid smirked, smashed his fist on the netting and sent the frog flying. Makes me really angry when people don't respect animals. Think I will definitely not go back there this trip. Way too frustrating.

Have they completely closed the aquarium part?? I was there a few years ago and it said "under renovation" and I haven't been back since. Sucks if they have, Auckland needs a decent public aquarium...

Haven't ben for a while.

The sign did say something like reopening ....2011- can't remember month or time of year.

If/when it does reopen I expect to see the exhibits heavily weighted to Natives Flora/Fauna but I hope they do go with some nice tropical set ups also- a few well thought out Bio types would be awesome.

As for Aro- +1 for grass carp. They are in the water around the monkeys

last i was there, maybe 4 months ago there was no fish, just carp. and there was maybe 3 small reptile enclosures. dont even think there was a tuatara. just skinks and galapagos tortoice.

the under renovation bit might be the seals enclosure where there is now a under water viewing area

last i was there, maybe 4 months ago there was no fish, just carp. and there was maybe 3 small reptile enclosures. dont even think there was a tuatara. just skinks and galapagos tortoice.

the under renovation bit might be the seals enclosure where there is now a under water viewing area

i went about 2 months ago,

they definately have tuataras in the Kiwi House,

they have a cailian (sorry about the spelling) aka legless lizard

Beardies

RES

and they are in the reptile road :D

Have they completely closed the aquarium part?? I was there a few years ago and it said "under renovation" and I haven't been back since. Sucks if they have, Auckland needs a decent public aquarium...

David fish room should be good enough for entry fees, :wink:

Instead of ex Aquri, Zoo, petshop..

is there any1 out there having a public aquarium at there own home? that would be ok ah?

yeah I'm pretty sure it's completely closed.... which does suck as it was cool. Last time I went the leopard tortoises (I think that's what they are) were outside in a small enclosure.

Anyone noticed the gambusia in the ponds there too?

I remember feeling really stressed last time I went there, at every exhibit that involved glass, there would be kids (and sometimes adults) banging on it as hard as they could while their parents stood around going "duuuuuur'. And in the kidzone bit, with the frog enclosure... It had netting as a side and a kid was banging on it. I tried a nice way to get the kid to behave and said "if you stand still, you'll see that little froggie catch the fly!" The kid smirked, smashed his fist on the netting and sent the frog flying. Makes me really angry when people don't respect animals. Think I will definitely not go back there this trip. Way too frustrating.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Know that feeling, I find the easiest solution in that case, is wait to they try to run past, and you know just somehow my foot was extended at the time.... :roll:

Whoops, face meet floor....