What other veggies will be good ?

mcrudd

I love giving my fish zuchini. I have two bristlenoses and two chocolate zebra's. then some school fish but only the swordtail fry seem to like the veggies. I picked up some Guppies from a fellow member and saw her giving pumpkin so I gave my little guys some pumpkin and boy did they enjoy it, it was devoured faster than the zuchini :wink: So now I am wondering what else I could offer them, and how often, should it be a treat or can it be part of their food allowance.

I love giving my fish zuchini. I have two bristlenoses and two chocolate zebra's. then some school fish but only the swordtail fry seem to like the veggies. I picked up some Guppies from a fellow member and saw her giving pumpkin so I gave my little guys some pumpkin and boy did they enjoy it, it was devoured faster than the zuchini :wink: So now I am wondering what else I could offer them, and how often, should it be a treat or can it be part of their food allowance.

Corn, peas, lettuce, brocolli, cauliflour, cabbage, spinach, brussel sprouts, garlic, oranges...Just about anything. Except silverbeet, my fish didn't like that. Clearly they are smart.

Hypans like Chocolate Zebras are omnivores and thus can eat and digest meat matter better than most other 'plecos'. Shrimp tablets and good quality bottom-feeder tablets are a must; shrimp, fish and other such foods can be given along with veges like courgettes and cucumber, peas, carrots, potato etc.

I feed all bottom feeders raw prawn, not cooked.

As for feeding all plecos the same food - bear in mind that the family Loricariidae may refer to hundreds and thousands of different fish and all their diets vary so we may need to know what the pleco is to answer that question Skip.

Ancistrus species are primarily vegos, and eat a little meat protein.

From PC-

.....Ancistrus..... they need a large portion of plant matter in their diet and small portion of animal proteins. With the apparent exception of A. ranunculus and its close relatives, Ancistrus should be fed mainly on plant matter with occasional additions of animal proteins. Ancistrus that have been kept too long as "scavengers" feeding off the remnants of high protein dry, frozen, or live foods meant for their tankmates often develop blockages in their intestines that lead to bloat. This bloating can quickly become fatal if the fish is not placed back on a proper diet in time.

Corn, peas, lettuce, brocolli, cauliflour, cabbage, spinach, brussel sprouts, garlic, oranges...Just about anything. Except silverbeet, my fish didn't like that. Clearly they are smart.

wow :o thanks for the info. How often do you feed your fish veggies, and how long would I leave oranges in there?

Hypans like Chocolate Zebras are omnivores and thus can eat and digest meat matter better than most other 'plecos'. Shrimp tablets and good quality bottom-feeder tablets are a must; shrimp, fish and other such foods can be given along with veges like courgettes and cucumber, peas, carrots, potato etc.

I feed all bottom feeders raw prawn, not cooked.

Ancistrus species are primarily vegos, and eat a little meat protein.

I feed my chocolate zebras Nurtrafin max freeze dried tablets and Jbl Novo tab. My bristlenoses get Hikari algae wafers and I have seen them munch on the Nutrafin max tablets. But they love their zuchini and now pumpkin. Where would I get the prawn, would love to treat my choccies for once :wink:

wow :o thanks for the info. How often do you feed your fish veggies, and how long would I leave oranges in there?

Whenever I feel like it. Don't know how long you'd leave the orange there. When I fed it to my cichlids it never made it to the bottom.

As for feeding all plecos the same food - bear in mind that the family Loricariidae may refer to hundreds and thousands of different fish and all their diets vary so we may need to know what the pleco is to answer that question Skip.

Just a common red spot pleco I believe.