5yr old coming home with nits??

chipmgnet

My 5yr old daughter (hair down to her bottom) is coming home with nits.4 lots in the last 3 weeks. Have tried all the normal over the counter shampoos,combing ect and she still has them. Have rung the school and they say that it is a major problem at the moment.

Any home remidies and suggestions would be greatly welcome.

Man I hate nits! :evil: I have two daughters with v long hair and the same thing was happening to them.

I combed thru with a nit comb daily using conditioner until I was getting no more nits ( the tiny ones can be hard to spot) then used a hair straightener- this cooks/kills the eggs. The hair straightener was the breakthru for us.

Pantene 3min miracle was great for getting a smooth comb thru without tangles and hair being pulled out. I left the conditoner in and just plaited their hair. Wet it each evening and combed thru.

Leaving the conditioner in seemed to discourage more nits.

Repeated this a week later .

A couple of drops of tea tree oil in their shampoo or in a spray on /leave in conditioner is supposed to help too. apparently they don't live for long off the head so frantic washing/cleaning of bedding/carpets/ furniture is not necessary.

Good luck- you have my sympathy !

my daughter had the same problem at primary school.

the ONLY thing that worked was this:

mix up equal parts of baby oil and vinegar and wet hair with this. Leave on 20 minutes and then thoroughly wash out. Use a knit comb to get any stragglers who will be half dead by now.

The oil suffocates the live lice and the vinegar loosens the egg knits for combing.

It does leave the hair looking really greasy for a few days and smelling like a fish and chip shop the first day! So it's ideal for the upcoming holidays but it does work and avoids the chemical burden.

good luck!

There is a natural product that we use to get from a chemist up here in a blue bottle that was great!!!

The important thing with it was to wrap her hair up in glad wrap for a while so the gunk could do its thing.

We use to do her hair every 2 to 3 weeks and never had a problem after that.

I use to cost about $12 a bottle

My sis in law had a very basic way of killing them off

She would spray her daughters hair with fly spray and after it was quite damp would also wrap her hair up in glad wrap.

I think the bugs were too scared to reinfest

There is a commonly used, and very effective, one time treatment but it is a veterinary product so I won't say it here...used to have hoards of people coming into the clinic for it to use on their kids. :roll:

a spot treatment? personally I wouldn't use that on children!

capstar? :lol:

you can get that at the supermarket - very affective knockdown treatment for fleas, but again .. I would not risk it on my children.

Lice very quickly develop pesticide resistance, hence people resorting to harsher chemicals, or largely untested 'natural remedies'.

Because of this the safest and most reliable treatment is manual removal. Takes longer but is safer.

Ultimately, if she (and family and home) are completely free of them after each treatment but she is contracting them again at school, there is nothing you can do.

One thing that may slow the incidence is attempting to educate her on not getting too close to other heads (lice cannot jump and don't do much crawling) and how cute she would look with a pixie haircut ;)

capstar? :lol:
Nope.

a spot treatment?
Nope. Definitely not a spot-on treatment. This is a common topical remedy that is safe to use on the smallest kittens.

...you can get that at the supermarket...
I personally don't recommend using any flea treatments sold at the supermarket (for children or for animals). They are looking at banning many of these overseas due to serious safety concerns.

Sorry, back on topic.

Ooohhh - you are making me itch.

All the work that you are doing will not be totally effective if not everyone else around her is doing it. Tea tree oil mixed with citrus works well and using a conditioner also helps to an extent. Its a 7 day cycle and it takes two to tango as they used to say. Be vigilant every night for about 10 days. You will then know if you are missing some eggs or if new adult nits are swinging over to her from her friends or classmates. I would imagine a hair straightener will help but only if you get right down to the base of her hair. Tie her hair and plait it tight. The only thing positive is that at least you know her hair is beautifully clean as they don't like dirty hair! Also check that she is not sharing hats (play things) or hairbrushes with anyone. Taking her out into the sun will help you see them as they move around more. I have also been told by a health professional that you may as well use fly spray as use some of the other cures and it works better.

I had success with conditioner. Smother her head in it and wrap gladwrap around it for twenty minutes - it smothers the lice. I did need to keep doing it every day until all the nits had hatched because it did not kill the eggs.

I personally don't recommend using any flea treatments sold at the supermarket (for children or for animals). They are looking at banning many of these overseas due to serious safety concerns.

Sorry, back on topic.

I was talking about the capstar. But the other spot on treatment at the supermarket is vile toxic stuff and I can't believe it's not already banned.

keracen works the best you put it on wet hair leave for 5 min and then wash out and then do it again but dry hair and then leave for 5 min and wash out but there is 1 down side your hair both times are itchey as hell so be preperd for a helling match and bad laugh if you try this but i would deffently do this dont waste your money on the nit removeal smapoo and combs dont work

I have had Frontline reccomended by a few people but never tried it. I just shave my sons head, hes had nits so many times he volunteers for shaving now. My dauhgter has light hair so i get them, shampoo and do all that. I think nits die if they dont get blood/fed for 24hours so i just hang blankets out for a day otherwise id run out of water washing them all the time.

One or two kids have had them in my sons class for nearly his whole 3 years of school.

electric_hair_clippers_d.jpg

Kidding! When i was younger my step siblings always had. Tell your daughter to keep her hair tied in a bun or something, and not to put her head near other kids, or share hats. Tea tree oil is good. My mum used to use flea stuff. Like actual animal flea stuff on our heads. 3 drops? Wait twenty mins. Rinse out. Comp. Choice. But i only had short hair. Now that i have long hair(for a dude) and am at college, i don't have the lice problem =D Been a few years since i last heard about lice.

Just be really persistent. Its going to be there for pretty much the first 8 years of schooling