lotz of potz setup log.

phoenix44

Tank -

The tank is rimless - 2ft long, 1ft deep and 15inches high, so that is 60x30x38cm

Substrate-

Normal black substrate, just the gravel type stuff. Had it lying around.

Polished stones as a feature rock formation on the LHS. Got them from a friends front yard in Whangarei a few years ago.

Lights -

1x 70W MH @ 6500K

Got the fixture from bilbo who had it lying around not doing any thing. The bulb came off ebay.

Just had to rewire it.

Flora -

Glossostigma.

Big full-stop after that because you guys have to stop me from putting other plants in the tank.

Fauna -

Native shrimp.

I've will be doing a little DIY with oscnz's help with the halide to put metal braces on it so it sits on top of the tank.

I did a heat test today and the heat is relatively minimal. But my room is always warm so im not sure how warm the water will be for shrimp. Will find out in a week or so any ways, although it might be a while before I get the fauna. I'm thinking the water will be about 20degrees C or so.

I have to wait till next week for my glosso to arrive. So till then I just have to sit and wait, twiddling my thumbs. :o

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hardscape is the hardest part...remember the style is based on three feature rocks. Even if you break away from that concept, your arrangement could be missing a 'feature' rock.

You should enrich that substrate and grow the glosso emersed to get a good fast carpet going before adding water. A feature plant would go nicely amongst the rocks. Something like this perhaps?

iwagumi.jpg

Image courtesy of: http://www.aquascapingworld.com/magazin ... Style.html

A 20L Bag of Dalton's propagating sand from the red shed: $4

Difference it will make to your tank: Priceless

Looking at inspirational tanks shouldn't take away your own vision, it should "...incite a riot of new ideas." - Jonathan Lockwood Huie

I suspect the native shrimp would be ok at 20 degrees, as long as there is sufficient oxygen, and if you have CO2 that means the plants start pumping out the oxygen, I think...

If you let the tank establish then add the shrimp (which seems to be what you are doing anyway) there should be plenty of food for them. They just eat tiny biofilms on surfaces. If you get the balance right the plants should be outcompeting the algae and the shrimp will keep everything else nice and clean :) Though I am guessing that is your idea.