lotz of potz setup log.

phoenix44

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get your money back :o . I used this filter with all my baby fish so far. haven't lost one. you can turn the flow down.

for new born fish use a sponge filter, and then when the get to 1cm in length they are fine with one of these. i usually lie them flat to the ground with the jet pointing to the surface of the water with lots of floating plants.

I only ever use sponge filters for fry. These filters suck up all manner of fish though - I can't tell you how many I have found inside or wedged in various places (the filters suck in water from cracks all over the filter, not just the vent like areas). I have taken to using a stocking over the filters with tanks that have very small fish and they seem to do the trick but it limits flow. I have two of the large ones one medium one and three very small ones and have had problems with all of them.

Watch out with that filter. In a tank that size you are likely to have small fish and I guarantee, even the smallest sized Eheim pickup will eat fish....lots of them. :-? Great filters otherwise...

BTW, I have a single Mosquito rasbora that is looking for a home if anyone wants him...

Interesting comment about the filter, I was about to buy 1.

Don't get me wrong, they are super grunty and I am otherwise very happy with them but with the very small one you would think that it would suit a small tank with small fish but this may not always be the case! The biggest problem with the small filter is the little lever at the very top where there is a gap that they can get sucked into.

Well a while ago I noticed that the stand on my big tank was bowing slightly. So i found out where the water was dripping on it from, and I immediately rectified the problem. (The wallpaper was letting drops of water trickle down the back). I put the dehumidifier on for a long time, but have been meaning to move the tank to see how the carpet was doing.

Finally today I arranged to move the tank out the room, which is not hard and just involved pushing the tank along the carpet out the room, once i removed most of the water. But then when stuart and I lifted the tank slightly, the base (or what we thought was the base!) stayed put but the rest of the stand lifted up.

That scared me because it meant the entire tank could have just collapsed and fallen right over! So finally we figured out that the base, was not actually the base, but just sort of sat there and looked pretty and the real base is 4 MDF supports that had also collapsed.

So finally after much planning, analysing and more planning we slowly managed to get the tank and the stand off the cruddy MDF supports and straight on to the floor. bear in mind the tank is still on the stand, but because the stand is 100% MDF it is resting on a rectangular platform.

Went to the kitchen and laid down 5, 4x2s. finally after aages we (joe - sandra's partner, stuart, flatmate - hugh, and I) managed to get the tank and stand on the 4x2s. The "base" of the stand - what it originally sits on is ruined. just peeled it off. so now the tank's stand sits on the rectangular bit that sits on 4x2s instead of rubbish MDF.

The carpet is ruined. It has been eaten away and I'm hoping that it can be repaired. they will need to do that patch work stuff to it, and its a dark carpet so that helps. But the house is new and modern, and that's always a worry.

It took the best of 4 or 5 hours to move the tank from my room to the kitchen. Fish stayed in the tank and there were no problems with that.

I just keep coming back to the thought that I'm 22, don't know if im going to live in Palmerston next year, let alone the same house; or what my plans are. I mean I could be in palmy, but I could also be in TGA, or CHCH! - I really don't know. Having a tank as large as that just doesn't make sense. :cry:

Then I thought about breaking the tank down and selling off everything, bar the equipment; and I realised I just couldn't do it! It has taken me years and years of collecting to get the CL's I have, and then there are the fancy plecos. Then the discus were a gift from Ron, and then there are all those plants that its taken so long, and so much effort into growing.

Sounds like it was a good outcome in the end though, I mean all the fish are still alive and nothing major has happened (apart from the carpet which I am sure can be fixed).. Glad that you managed to get it sorted, good work from the people who came and helped you out, Sandra helped me out when I was overseas too rushed over to help out with tanks etc when things went wrong she is awesome. :) As much as these things happen they are just motivation to build things bigger and better..

Sometimes we all have days where we just think it is too much work, too annoying, etc. but that too shall pass. It doesn't matter where you MAY be next month or next year, live for today. Besides, tanks are very movable. Chin up, you love fish and plants and you love your great tank and all the lovely fish and plants. Tomorrow will be a better day. :wink:

I would like to know whose bright idea it was to use MDF for fish tank stands - the odds of water damage are pretty darn high even for someone who is really careful. I mean its like $600-$800 for one of those stands! I thought it would have been wood, or at least the structural elements would have been solid wood.

Yep I had an awesome stand that was made (or at least sold by) a descent store in Auckland it was supporting a 5 x 2 x 2ft tank with basically only a box of MDF not even sealed.. It is amazing how people can make stuff to go around water that can't handle getting wet as eventually it will end up getting wet. This is the reason I never use MDF in my fish room and always advise people not to..