Aquarium World May

Caryl

Hi all. Taking a break from bagging, addressing and stamping Aquarium World magazines so thought I would let you know what is on offer this issue...

Darren has continued his excellent series on the plecs. This time it is the carnivores - Pseudacanthicus & Scobinancistrus

We get step by step instructions on how to make a terrarium in a light bulb :o

Find out some ways to feed fry

Are you allergic to fish food? Find out.

We show some lovely photos of flowering aquatic plants

There is a report on the Hawkes Bay Aquarium sleepover and tank competition weekend

Find out how zebra danios can mend a broken heart

How heavy is your tank?

Osmoregulation. What the...? :o

Raising Apistogramma eunotus fry

Find out the top 10 reasons fish go belly up

Discover some external tank background ideas

and learn about jewel anemones

Plus more!

Hopefully, if I get them finished, all will be posted tomorrow :bounce:

Well that was an informative read :D . However I have a slight issue with the definition of osmosis as is defined at the end of the article.

It says -

Osmosis: Diffusion of molecules from a higher place of concentration to a lower place of concentration until the concentration on both sides is equal.

I think this is incorrect.

Osmosis is simply the movement of water molecules over a semi-permeable membrane from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration.

If it is water that moves across the concentration gradient from a zone of high conc. to a zone of low conc., it is osmosis.

If any other molecule or particle moves across the gradient it is diffusion. The definition of osmosis should not include the term diffusion, and must not omit the term 'semi-permeable membrane'. :D

The definition came with the pic :wink:

When I was at school it never specified water, from what I remember, but I do remember the semi permeable bit. It is one thing that stuck in my head.

The definition of osmosis is not restricted to water. Osmosis can occur with any fluid or liquid

Correct!

The phenomenon of osmosis (warning: physical chemist in the house) is characterised by a tendency of a pure solvent to enter a solution separated from it by a membrane permeable to the solvent but not to the solute (such a membrane is called semipermeable) when the chemical potential of of the solvent on both sides of the membrane is equal. In other words, the solvent can be anything that will pass through the membrane, and if the membrane is very porous the solvent can include ions and even protein fractions.

Btw Caryl, this was one of the best editions yet! I sat on the couch in the sun today and read it from cover to cover. :D

Thanks for explaining it so well Jen :hail:

I kept my reply to fluids and liquids as I didn't know how to get into solvents without getting too anal :D

P44 I assumed that you understood reverse osmosis water purification that removes the solvents from water :wink:

err. how many chemistry and biology books since 2006 have been updated to reflect this? :o
Well, remember, authors of textbooks are human (I can attest to that with personal experience :oops: ). Besides, the concept can be..err...difficult to understand - so it is simplified for 'general consumption.'

Thanks for explaining it so well Jen :hail:

I kept my reply to fluids and liquids as I didn't know how to get into solvents without getting too anal :D

:hail: Yay! Anal people unite!! :lol:

P44 I assumed that you understood reverse osmosis water purification that removes the solvents from water :wink:
You mean it removes the solutes from the water. :oops: :D

Chem lesson over folks- go back to your business (not you Caryl, keep at it so we get another great issue in a couple of months time :D ).

And all this from this picture, added as a last minute filler to the end of the article :lol: ...

osmosiscat.jpg

Thank you for the praise Jennifer. What has made this the "best yet" in your opinion? I try to get a bit of everything and a wide range of subjects but it is difficult when so few articles are sent.