Chocolate Hot Cross Buns -preferably with lots of choc chips

Zev

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ta dah...

choc-chip-buns.jpg

Had a slight problem with the tea towel on the top getting too attached to the buns whilst proving, hence the weird tops - any excuse for the kids to try and disguise them with things other than crosses to hide the mess!

you people are killing me with all this baking & foodfest! *drools*

Ironically I am making cornbread tomorrow too! ....Had some great swordfish tacos with homemade corn tortillas, jalapeno salsa and chipotle sour cream tonight. Mmmmmm

Anyway, I have a cornbread recipe that is absolute heaven, crispy buttery edges. Just add lashings of butter and a dollop of honey if you are so inclined. it goes amazingly well with the white bean and bacon Cowboy Stew I am making tomorrow......

what are you using to make corn tortillas?! no better good nuttycorny taste than a fresh corn tortilla. mmmm.

Not good, not good at all. Yesterday I went to the store and asked where the corn starch was because I needed it to thicken an asian sauce...nobody could find it, then I found an Edmonds box that said 'corn flour' and I can assure you, it was corn starch, not corn meal. Now there are two totally different products out there with the name of corn flour...

LOL, have you tried finding corn syrup?!

There's a thread or 2 on another forum I visit that drive me crazy, one lady made a different style/flavour cupcake everyday for 2 weeks. Another is just a generic "post yummy things you've made".

Pity I'm lazy and unmotivated when it comes to cooking.

what are you using to make corn tortillas?! no better good nuttycorny taste than a fresh corn tortilla. mmmm.

Real masa harina that I get from Aji, a gourmet store in Chch (although I see that they sell in in my local New World now.) :)

LOL, have you tried finding corn syrup?!

Yes. :evil: Grumble, grumble....makes it really hard when I want to make homemade toffee or marshmallows. Glucose syrup just doesn't cut it al all.

I think I will make carrot cupcakes with cream cheese frosting today. :D

Real masa harina that I get from Aji, a gourmet store in Chch (although I see that they sell in in my local New World now.) :)

Yes. :evil: Grumble, grumble....makes it really hard when I want to make homemade toffee or marshmallows. Glucose syrup just doesn't cut it al all.

I think I will make carrot cupcakes with cream cheese frosting today. :D

Corn Syrup booooooooooo

Don't make me pout Ira. Last time I went to the states I brought back a dozen bars of Ivory soap and a big can of Crisco (MAF thought I was nuts). :roll: Next time I go I am bringing back some Karo syrup...oh, and more pumpkin pie spice!

You have spice just for pumpkin pie???

I tried to make a pumpkin pie once but it tasted terrible. Perhaps I used the wrong sort of pumpkin or it was the lack of special spice :roll:

When my daughter was in the US we had to send her Weetbix and custard powder :lol:

LOL, isn't that always the way. I have missed things that I never liked when I lived there. Go figure. :roll:

I have the most brilliant recipe for pumpkin pie. It is an old family recipe - best pumpkin pie in the world, hands down. It doesn't actually require special spice but good quality spices in the right proportion. Most of the spices you get in the store are just old dried out and really are not that great. :(

Hey....it is about that time of year for pumpkin pie now! mmmmmmm :bounce: