Chocolate Hot Cross Buns -preferably with lots of choc chips

Zev

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

she thinks dried fruit is yuck, so anyone got a good recipe?

Good on her. Why ruin them with raisins? I'll ask my Mum for a recipe when I see her later today. She always had to make a plain batch just for me. I'm too scared to ask my flatmate if she's gonna be using raisins cos if she is, she'll yell at me for being fussy :oops: So maybe I'll make my own too.

[edit] Oh and they're easy to make & way better than supermarket one! Geez you guys... Mum used to organise a cooking day at primary school each year for all the kids to make them, so they must be easy.

Do you make the cornbread with the chili and cheese in it, or the plain one and have chili with it?

Just plain and chili with it...

Hopefully...Last attempt at making cornbread was a complete failure. Apparently cornflour and cornflour are not the same thing...

Lol, Mum was at work the other day & a boy in his late teens came up and was like "you're the hot cross bun lady!!!!" and he'd remembered her from 10+ years ago & he wasn't even someone from any of my bros or my classes.

So anyway, I went over & she ended up making me a batch so I don't have to do anything, ha.

Btw, these are approximate measurements cos she doesn't use a recipe usually and does it by feel.

In a bowl mix 280ml milk, 100ml boiling water & 1 tbsp of surebake yeast. Mix & set aside.

In another bowl mix 3.5 cups flour, 2tbsp brown sugar, 1tsp salt, 1tbsp mixed spice (or cocoa for choc ones) + a packet of choc chips/drops;

Rub in 50g butter. Add the yeast mix.

Knead for 5-10 mins til it feels right (idk)

Makes 16, so make it into a square, cut into quarters, cut each of these into quarters again. Shape into balls & use your palms to smooth the tops, pulling tops downwards.

Put in lined baking tray, leave in sun with a teatowel on top (*shrug*) until they've doubled. She usually leaves overnight but 2-3 hrs would do it.

Bake at 180 for approx 20 mins.

Glaze with sugar water mix.

I dunno about the crosses, I forgot to ask cos I don't care about that bit. Use google?

I'll let you know tomorrow if mine worked out.

Cool recipe, I used to work in a bakery and made soooo many of these each easter. I couldn't tell you a recipe (sweet dough with chocolate syrup and choc chips) but the chocolate ones were soooo good. Going home with a couple of bags full was always fun :D

Thanks bd, a bit late in the day for starting now, will have a go tomorrow.

Cornmeal is hard to come by in our local supermarket they are quite slack, but in their defence it is quite a small supermarket, usually end up buying polenta.

There is Springbok Maizemeal - haven't been keen to buy any of that as it is in a rather large bag and I don't know what to do with it if it is not the right stuff, and then there is this problem with it... http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/GE1003/S00036.htm

You could make the mix now & cook it tomorrow when its had plenty of time to rise? I'm doing that with mine. Or at least waiting til later tonight.

Put your oven on between 30 - 50*c with a bowl of water in there and they will rise alot quicker. dont leave them too long or they will get to big and collapse when you move them.

I use this for cornbread (it seems to be in all the stores around here):

cornmeal.jpg

Ironically I am making cornbread tomorrow too! ....Had some great swordfish tacos with homemade corn tortillas, jalapeno salsa and chipotle sour cream tonight. Mmmmmm

Anyway, I have a cornbread recipe that is absolute heaven, crispy buttery edges. Just add lashings of butter and a dollop of honey if you are so inclined. it goes amazingly well with the white bean and bacon Cowboy Stew I am making tomorrow.

Best Cornbread

115g butter

2/3 cup white sugar

2 eggs

3/4 cup milk

1/4 cup plain yogurt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup cornmeal

1 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1.Preheat oven to 175 degrees C. Lightly oil a 20 cm ovenproof skillet and place it into the oven to heat up.

2.Combine melted butter and sugar in a bowl. Quickly add the eggs to the bowl and beat until well blended. Combine milk with yogurt and baking soda and then stir into egg mixture. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain.

3. When oven and pan are hot, remove the pan from the oven and add about a tablesppon of butter to the hot pan. When it melts, pour the batter into the pan and place the skilliet back into the oven. This whole process should take less than a minute so the skillet remains hot.

3.Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Not so sure on the cornbread recipe I used, I'll try Jennifer's next time. It wasn't very strongly cornbread flavored The chili was needed more beans and mabye simmering for another half or our two because it was pretty liquidy. Other than that it was...Well...Not really any better than from a can. Especially given the pain of chopping up onions and hour and a half cooking time.

My bhut burning chillies wouldn't even burn the most delicate of butts. It's been suggested to me that maybe it's a magnesium deficiency.

They have changed the packaging - and added the word 'flour' to it, which I would not use to describe it..

Not good, not good at all. Yesterday I went to the store and asked where the corn starch was because I needed it to thicken an asian sauce...nobody could find it, then I found an Edmonds box that said 'corn flour' and I can assure you, it was corn starch, not corn meal. Now there are two totally different products out there with the name of corn flour...

It wasn't very strongly cornbread flavored

I have been known to replace some of the plain flour for extra corn meal becasue I like it extra corny too. :roll:

My bhut burning chillies wouldn't even burn the most delicate of butts. It's been suggested to me that maybe it's a magnesium deficiency.

:lol: From hot crossed buns to butt burning in the same thread. Ya gotta love this place. Happy Easter everyone. :D