SamH

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_6376.jpg

IMG_6381.jpg

5 new clowns and 9 new lamp eyes if I counted right. They move too fast to count properly. Big thanks to Zev for sending me these 14 fish and a heap of plants and to Barrie for dropping them at my door :hail: I'll be sure to join the Killie club in the near future.

you has fush in there :D

No kidding genius :roll: It's great having lots of movement.

Current fauna:

1x Betta Splendens (Female)

10x Lampeyes

6x Clown Killies

6x Bristlenose (Young)

and a lot of algae :(

I know! I siphon off as much as I can but more comes back each day. Down to a 7hr photoperiod at the moment, considering a black out to stomp it out.

cool fish Sam!

Thanks, they are awesome.

Current fauna:

1x Betta Splendens (Marble Female)

5x Clown Killies

10x Lampeyes

9x Young Bristlenose

3x Young Guppies (2F/1M, only 3 weeks old so not certain)

After I introduced the guppies I thought some meds from their water had stained the sand so I chopped up the sand a bit. But this afternoon I went to do a WC and found out it's the dreaded Cyanobacteria :x I siphoned as much out as I could but being in the harigrass, I just covered the rest up with sand. If it comes back, is there anyway to treat without antibiotics?

Thanks

I'm currently battling cyano in my 10 gal. I think its because i have silica sand that doesn't get moved around enough, is exposed to too much light and not much water current.

There was a post up today that said someone successfull got rid of it with a 5 day black out. I'm gonna try that first before getting antibiotics...don't wanna mess up my good bacteria or my breeding rams.

BUT awesome killies man! Do they always hang out near the top like that? Aren't they good jumpers? :o

Blackout is not the safest way to get rid of cyanobacteria. It will slow it down the cyano growth temporarily but it will also release toxins into the water column as the bacteria die. Solving the problem that caused the cyano in the first place is the important part. Increasing water flow is one of the best things you can do. It also helps to increase aeration and CO2. Decrease nutrients (regular water changes and cut right back on food). Keep removing cyano at as you see it, vacuum regularly and remove affected leaves. I personally have eliminated cyano successfully many times with these methods without ever resorting to antibiotics.

cool fish Sam!

I want to join the killie club too but I already feel like I have too many fish so I can't get interested in any more :lol:

You dont have to own Killies to be a part of the Killie Club.

I am and I dont own a single killie. I used to has Gold Australe, but I dont have room now so they went to a new home.

BUT awesome killies man! Do they always hang out near the top like that? Aren't they good jumpers? :o

Thanks, Zev made them :lol:

They have been well trained by their previous owner... not-tagged-smiley-4027.gif

Yeah, not a single jumper so far. I try to keep the water level low enough. I see t the Clowns swooping around at all levels sometimes.

It also helps to increase aeration and CO2. Decrease nutrients (regular water changes and cut right back on food).

:hail::hail: I added another little power head with the duck bill attachment to increase aeration and flow. Might add another one, the deadspot at the front with the grass is where it grew.

I added another little power head with the duck bill attachment to increase aeration and flow. Might add another one, the deadspot at the front with the grass is where it grew.

lol, it's better when you call it a lilly pipe - duck bill sounds so unglamorous!

• 3 weeks later...

I am sad to say that all is not well with this tank :( Algae has slowed down but remains on many of the leaves and I am missing two of the Clown Killies with a third that has dropsy. On top of that, one of the lampeyes had a raw and open sore on its gill and died last night. Here's some photos of the tank, plants are growing well.

IMG_6506.jpg

IMG_6508.jpg

Thanks

I have checked all the floor around the tank, I've blocked off the sides of the stands especially so cat can't jump up. She loves drinking from the open tanks but shows no interest in the fish themselves :lol:

Wow. It looks stunning. It's sad about the killies though. I'm in the same boat as you... A while ago I had a freak columnaris attack which killed most of my fish, including a beautiful pair of Apistogramma trifasciata that I got from Redwood Aquatics and spent $48 on. The only fish surviving are 5 Kitty Tetras (Hyphessobrycon heliacus) and 3 Golden Bristlenoses. The Bristlenoses were unaffected, probably because they have tough skin.

Now Mum's complaining I don't have any feature fish.

Does anyone have any suggestions for larger and more colourful fish? Must coexist with female fighters, guppies, lampeyes, clowns and BNs.

pretty much all of those could be considered feature fish although some kind of smaller cichlid could work... an apisto of some description?

IMO too many colourful fish kinda takes away from the scape/plants though

I think you should get a feature plant instead :lol: a big crypt for example ;)

How about Banded Gouramis? A pair (just one though, as more would draw away focus on the plants) would look great in your tank. Apistogramma trifasciata or bitaeniata, Black Neon Tetras, Red-line Rasboras, Striatum killies or even King Killies. They're very colurful and larger than the other killies.

fundulopanchax sjoestedti - King killies are notorious jumpers, and they would eat most of the your inhabitants

They sound perfect :wink:

Maybe I'll leave it for now. See how the guppies get on too.

P44 sent me a diffuser today, been sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the CO2 to push through :lol: