I HAVE BABIES!!!

seahorsecrazy

Cleaning my seahorse tank tonight when I saw something gathered in a corner at the top of the tank.

It was baby seahorses! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I only have 12 babies, the male wasnt even looking pregnant, probably why we didnt notice, just a few for his first brood.

I will post pictures tomorrow if I can.

Yay!

But, on the less happiers side, it now proved to my Hubbie that I dont need a bigger tank as i have been nagging him for. He says they obviously can do it in the one I have. :cry:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:hail::hail::hail::hail:

brine shrimp, brine shrimp, brine shrimp, brine shrimp, brine shrimp, brine shrimp, brine shrimp, brine shrimp, brine shrimp, brine shrimp, brine shrimp, brine shrimp, brine shrimp, brine shrimp, brine shrimp, brine shrimp,

daily water changes, daily water changes, daily water changes, daily water changes, daily water changes, daily water changes, daily water changes, daily water changes, daily water changes, daily water changes, daily water changes, daily water changes, daily water changes, daily water changes,

Thanks guys.

Hubby says he 'knows where the bung is for the boat to drain it'. No fun aye.

I have been down to the beach tonight and got 200 litres water and I have started the brine this afternoon. Hopefully there will be some hatched in the morning to start feeding.

LA, how much should I give them? I can only think a tiny bit, but I am not here during the day to feed them. Should I put in extra, or wait until I get home at 4pm?

Whole new experience for me.

Waiting in anticipation as to the numbers i will have in the morning. They are in a seperate tank and being only 12 I hope I have that many in the morning.

those new mysis working? :D

put in a little xtra for the day

you can set up a smaller tank for babies and get a 20 litre plastic container full of salt water

fix a small airline to it to allow water to dribble into the horses tank and overflow into a bigger container, not too much flow though as babies can overflow too

give the horses some floating plastic plant to cling to

keeping the live food up and clean water are the main issues

they grow relatively fast

some adults can eat the babies

They are from LivingArt. Cold water horses.

Thanks LA, the mysis came at just the right time. As I got back from your place on Thursday, I found the freezer had died and all my SH food had thawed. The last of the stock had to be thrown out.

The new stock from you has worked out really well. They are chomping it down as big gluttens they are!

Babies in 30 litre tank on their own with a couple of floating plants for them and some liverock. Have got some clean water sitting in ice cubes for the afternoon to chill the tank slowly in out heat wave. No chiller on that one unfortunately - have to be careful with water temp.

Thanks Mystic, I am definately going cross eyed. I think it is time for sleep. Too easy to sit up all night watching them. YAWN!!

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'll be keeping you all posted with any updates as soon as they happen.

Cheers, good night. :hail:

All 12 are still alive this morning. :bounce:

I am attempting to add photos. Please bear with me as this is my first attempt.

They are all full of energy and when I added baby brine they were on the hunt straight away. :lol:

Haven't been this clucky since... cant remember (my own babies are 14 and 15yrs old!)

BabySH14Jan10.jpg

BabySH15Jan10.jpg

BabySHbrood15Jan10.jpg

BabySHhunting15Jan10.jpg

Yay, photos worked.

Im going back to watch my babies now - I'm going to have to tear myself away soon the go to work. The Boss wont allow me maternity leave to watch my new editions :lol: :lol: :lol:

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Thanks for sharing your news & Congratualtions!!!

awwwwwww, they are SO cute! no maternity leave?! hmphh

now for the hard part as LA has already mentioned.... LOL... bsbsbsbsbswcwcwcwcwbsbsbsbsbwcwcwcwcwc

umm, is this new mysis a private stock or can it be found in shops somewhere? any inside info PLEASE. my seahorses would love a change and boost to their diet ;)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

umm, is this new mysis a private stock or can it be found in shops somewhere? any inside info PLEASE. my seahorses would love a change and boost to their diet ;)

mysis is stuff i fished out of the habour then froze, so yes it is fresh but frozen

one of the fisherman i know is picking up krill as well

have been home and done a waterchange, added a few more baby brine, and found 1 baby has not made it thru the day.

I am not as upset as I thought I would be, because the others a full of energy and buzzing around the tank like idiots.

A few have found a plastic plant at the bottom and are clinging on to it, and the others are playing in the floating plant and on the surface.

Surely i am imagining it, but have they grown already??? :o

I know I was told they grow fast, but I hope it is just my imagination. Some things you need to know that you may be insane, and not reality. :-?

Anyhow, I have a few more hours I can sit and watch them... mustnt forget mum and dad, I cant neglect them now they have proven their worth... :wink: