I HAVE BABIES!!!

seahorsecrazy

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rest are still looking strong. :D

i have not got my hopes up too far as this is really a very big learning curve - especially since they were a surprise arrival yesterday afternoon and I was not in the slightest bit organised.

So far so good.

Early night tonight - spent too long watching the babies - need to catch up on some sleep.

Going fishing in the morning - the kahawai are still running.

Have to spend the rest of the day watching my darlings...

Obsessed?

Me?

Surely not?

I can stop any time I want!

Cant I?

:oops: :oops: :oops:

The biggest danger now is injesting air into their stomachs as they snik up the brine shrimp on the surface of the water. The brine shrimp are photostatic and are attracted to the light at the surface.

If you can black off the tank from the top to just below the water level and side light it you will improve the survival rate considerably. Good luck.

The biggest danger now is injesting air into their stomachs as they snik up the brine shrimp on the surface of the water. The brine shrimp are photostatic and are attracted to the light at the surface.

If you can black off the tank from the top to just below the water level and side light it you will improve the survival rate considerably. Good luck.

A great bit of advice :hail:

Good Luck! :bounce: I am so excited for you

mysis is stuff i fished out of the habour then froze, so yes it is fresh but frozen

one of the fisherman i know is picking up krill as well

Thanks LA! yeh, ever since a certain suppliers mysis stock vanished and BS quality plummeted, I have been fishing & freezing my own wild mysids. Just seems to be a slump at the mo and don't have many of the tiny ones that Lele (little kuda) like slurping up. Hopefully there will be some new hatches soon! There are heaps of the larger shrimp which are no problem for my pots to tear to bits. LOL I still can't get over how big a shrimp they can down in 1 gulp! Hmm, I never tried krill... must see how to rig up ??? a miniature seine??

Thanks LA,

i will harrass the hubby to take the boat out so I can try krilling.

for some reason I can send things south and they arrive O'nite, but it seems to take at least 4 days in the reverse (grrrr RD!) so probably end upa stinky mess. But THANKS for your offer :)

Alas, we are down to 2 babies. :cry:

But they seem - dare I say it - fit and well.

One is hiding on the liverock and comes out to catch bbs, the other is hiding in the floating plant.

They are both fairly timid, but they are still there.

If all else fails, I know i can start brine shrimp within 12 hours, and have a tank set up and running within 2 hours. It is a lesson i have learned well.

Hope tomorrow is better than today, but I am resigned to the fact I masy lose them as well.

I am keen to have another go - if my horses let me that is...

Alas, we are down to 2 babies. :cry:

But they seem - dare I say it - fit and well.

One is hiding on the liverock and comes out to catch bbs, the other is hiding in the floating plant.

They are both fairly timid, but they are still there.

If all else fails, I know i can start brine shrimp within 12 hours, and have a tank set up and running within 2 hours. It is a lesson i have learned well.

Hope tomorrow is better than today, but I am resigned to the fact I masy lose them as well.

I am keen to have another go - if my horses let me that is...

Well, the fact that they bred in the first place says that you have the basics right. IME some spawns of fish are stronger than others anyway. They say practice makes perfect. Good luck with the remaining two and keep posting. :D

Thanks heaps guys. I will get over it Im sure.

My male has an air problem though...

His stomach seems to have air in it (not his pouch) and he keeps bobbing to the top of the tank. He is able to get to the bottom but it takes a huge effort and he is letting me put him on the weed at the bottom where he can get a bit of food.

He doesnt seem overly stressed - just peed off.

Dont know if he has gulped air somewhere or something more sinister.

I did take them out of their tank when I cleaned it on the weekend after finding the babies, but I just scoop them out with another container in their own water and put them into another bowl for the cleaning, then return them once the water temps are equalised between tanks.

He is spending a bit of time hanging completely upside down as though trying to fart out the bubble.

Suggestions?

you may need to empty his pouch of air

i use a darning needle with a blunt end or tweezers with a blunt end

keep the horse under water

holding the horse in one hand with my thumb and index finger either side of his pouch

gently insert the needle or tweezers into the join at the top of the pouch

don't insert too far, gently open the pouch while applying light pressure to squeeze the pouch

you should see air bubbles rise from the opening

let it go and observe how it swims

you may need to repeat procedure

one of the reasons i use a deeper tank is to avoid the males when mating injesting air into the pouch as they hit the surface

also some can trap air when when sitting in an air stone stream

It's been a long time since I've had to do a pouch evac; but as LA said use something smooth,thin & blunt. We don't want to accidentally puncture or tear their delicate skin! ( I used one of those "bobbie" hair pins with the round plastic coating on the end...)

Hold the horse as LA describes; I also found once the instrument of choice is on the pouch opening, a little sideways pressure (lightly) helped to tease the pouch open and the bubbles then came streaming out. Don't rush it, it may take some time try to get the horse to relax & "unclench" that pouch opening. You are not really trying to get the instrument in the pouch, but rather just using it to help them open up the path for the air to escape.

Good luck!

I dont think it is in his pouch.

It is his stomach which is bloated, not his pouch. Looks like he has had a huge meal, but it seems to be air.

His pouch is quite collapsed - the sides touching each other.

Do you think I should try with the pouch? Or could it be something else.

He doesnt mind me handling him a bit.

Starting to worry about my boy. He is really bloated now and wont eat.

Bloating is over whole abdomen and seems to be heading up his neck. Definately air or a gas of sorts because as soon as he lets go of anything he just 'pops' up to the surface.

Can he get things tangled when he had the babies? I dont know if he has passed anything since he had them. Could it be a build up of gases in his stomach - much like horses can get colic?

It must be quite painful.

P1020582.jpg

P1020586.jpg

He is not a fat seahorse, normally can see his humps and bumps quite clearly - not like these photos. The one almost fron-on shows just how bloated he is. Even when he has gorged himself on live mysis he never got that size.

P1020583.jpg

It is definately not in his pouch. Dont really know what to do. If he was a cow, I would stick a pin (bloat knife) in him to let the gas out.

Bit difficult on these fellas.

:cry: I have been doing a little research and found a possible - allbeit horrible diagnosis.

www.seahorse.org/library/articles/diseaseguide.shtml

It looks like it is internal gas bubble disease. Treatment is dosing food with a drug called Diamox, and feeding it to him. Problem being he is not eating. The other solution is decompression for hours at a time in a tank at least 3 times deeper than the one he is in. That means I would have to put him in a tank (or structure) 2meters deep and have him 'fenced off' at the bottom so he does not rise to the surface.

I do have the ability use the likes of downpipes for this, but I dont think the pressure would be right.

Has anyone used Diamox in the past? Has anyone had any success?

You did say in the beginning it was not in pouch.. Sorry! was hoping for the simple solution...

Yes, I have used Diamox on my kuda before (successfully) He was having recurring pouch air and bubbles in the tail as well.

I would not recommend increasing temps. In fact I would suggest the opposite, as I would think the people on seahorse.org would . If there is some infection going on causing the gas buildup, they always say to lower temps as bacteria thrive in higher temps. Adding an extra airline helps oxygenate, aiding gas exchange. ( getting rid of CO2, not just "air") and it also can help raise lowish pH. If you can, add an extra bubbler, no stone needed; I just use open airlines with big bubbles.

I can't remember off the top of my head the dosage for diamox; will search on the SH.org asap. and get back to you. Meanwhile, the people (usually Ann) are very active and helpful if you post in the "emergency" forum. Unfortunately the syngnathid forum in Oz is currently offline...

Off the top of my head, I will bet you will need an extra airline, a hospital tank ( I use my old AR380, but a bucket will suffice!) a way to keep it cool, and some diamox. You will need to get that from your vet. The diamo

sorry again! something funky going on with my keyboard aaaaaaarrrgggg

Diamox is a carbonic anahydrase inhibitor, NOT a antibiotic. SO, it does not hurt the benficial bacteria. Still for administering the med, you want a small hospital, but you can borrow a sponge or some liverock from your main tank to keep from getting ammonia spiking in the hospital adding complications and worries.

Diamox can suppress appetite, so it is good you have some yummy treats to entice eating.

OK, be back soon hopefully with dosage for the Diamox BATH.

Post #2

Copied from http://forum.seahorse.org/index.php?showtopic=42497&hl=diamox+dosage

*ACETAZOLAMIDE is the generic name for Diamox*

Group: Global Moderator

Member No.: 8,392

ACETAZOLAMIDE (immersion) Dosage and Preparation Instructions for a 10g/38L Hospital Tank

Active Ingredient: Acetazolamide

Indication: gas bubble disease, edema, popeye

Brand Name: Diamox

Dose at 250mg per day for 3 days.

Replace the medication in ratio to the amount of water changed daily as needed to control ammonia.

Day 1 of Treatment

• Crush one 250mg tablet into a fine powder.

• Use a mini-blender or small hand-blender to thoroughly mix the powder with about 1 cup of marine

water.

• Allow the mixture to set for a few minutes.

• Gently pour off the dissolved portion of the mixture and discard any residue that has settled at the

bottom of the container. (Do NOT add the residue to the hospital tank).

• Pour the mixture into a high-flow area of the hospital tank.

Days 2 – 3 of Treatment

• Perform 50% water change.

• Repeat "Day 1" instructions.

ACETAZOLAMIDE (pouch flush) Doseage and Preparation Instructions

Active Ingredient: Acetazolamide

Indication: persistent and recurring pouch emphysema

Brand Name: Diamox

Dose at 0.5mL of a 62.5mg/cup solution.

Supplies: narrow gauge irrigating cannula or narrow gauge IV catheter sleeve, 0.5 or 1mL syringe without

needle.

• Mix 62.5mg of Diamox (1/4 of a 250mg tablet) with 1 cup (approx. 237mL) of marine water with specific

gravity, pH, and temperture matching that of the aquarium.

• Let the mixture settle.

• Fill the syringe with about 0.5mL of the solution, avoiding the residue that has settled to the bottom of

the container.

• Hold the seahorse according to the procedure for pouch evacuations. Insert the catheter sleeve slowly

and gently a small way into the pouch opening.

• Inject the solution slowly into the seahorse's pouch. Leave the solution in the pouch.