Should you pay the vet bill if ...

Mel

Hate cats much? geez.

I am a cat AND dog owner.

If my dog was to attack a neighbours cat I would personally feel partially responsible and would offer to cover at least a portion of the vet bill. In turn, I would hope if someone elses dog attacked one of my cats they would do the same for me. Wouldn't hold my breath though.

I can almost guarantee that the reason dogs are required to be controlled properly by law is that they have the potential to harm/kill people. Cats, generally, cannot. The only thing they pose a threat to is wildlife and smaller pets. Which, in the eyes of the law, doesn't matter. I'm willing to bet this is all it comes down to. The safety of humans is ultimately the only thing that matters. Apparently.

I hate the thought of my cats catching the wildlife. But on the other hand, the birds aren't attacking my strawberries, we have NO mice/rats in or around our house and the cats are doing their bit to control the wild rabbit population, which is considered a pest, is it not?

I'd love to build a cat house and keep my cats in there. Unfortunately I don't have the cash for that sort of thing at the moment. And the reason for it would be that I would be protecting my cats from the world and harm from all the cat haters out there. Protecting the wildlife would just be an added bonus.

Well thanks all for your replies, there are some really good points that have been raised. Like for instance if the cat was to injure my dog on my property? after all the cat has come in my dogs territory and my dog is defending there territory.

Yes i would feel absolutely terrible if my dog was to hurt or even kill a cat, but I don't feel I should have to be responsible for any vet bills for the cat .. since the dog is just doing it's job defending his territory.

I just hope the cat has been scared off and won't come back - I love cats and would hate to see one get injured by one of my dogs fingers crossed that will never happen.

I'd love to build a cat house and keep my cats in there. Unfortunately I don't have the cash for that sort of thing at the moment.

Fence posts are about $15 each, a shovel is about the same, 1m wide wire netting is about $4/meter. It's not that expensive to bang something together if you put your mind to it.

Though, I've seen someone complain about how her cat keeps having kittens because she can't afford to get her fixed while playing with her $500 PDA. :roll:

Fence posts are about $15 each, a shovel is about the same, 1m wide wire netting is about $4/meter. It's not that expensive to bang something together if you put your mind to it.

Though, I've seen someone complain about how her cat keeps having kittens because she can't afford to get her fixed while playing with her $500 PDA. :roll:

That may be so.. but I have a bit of a lazy husband. Still waiting for him to complete a fence he began building last summer. So I think I'd have to add on to that the cost of a builder to build it. Anyway I do have a plan for a cat enclosure but its a bit more fancy than just a couple of posts and some wire netting, hence why it will cost a bit more to construct.

*sigh* Yes. I am aware of that and I do in fact use our shovel (in the garden!) But I seriously lack other skills required to undertake such tasks. I can use a nail and hammer but the results are often less than desirable.

So, you have all the skills needed.:)

yep i bet no ones dog ever did that to your car phoenix

Had a dog scratch the old man's car once

What a waste of a MR2 :x

The dog Made sure he did a good job of the paint work on the left side.

I am a firm believer that once a dog as had the taste of blood that it's stuffed,

Next time it could be a friends child face ripped off or worse ya own face, :roll:

I am a cat lover so if a dog got hold of my cat then god help the dog

I would personally deal with it right then and there , :evil:

If my cats went a dog and did them any harm then yes I would pay the vet bill and deal with the cat the same way I would a dog :evil:

Cat's damage wild life populations?... hmmm as I recall.. a single dog killed 50 something kiwi's in one night.

I also don't remember the last time a pack of "pig hunting cats" chased down a woman and decided she was a chew toy.

What I'm trying to say is everyone is comparing apples and oranges. Dogs and cats are completely different species with different needs and requirements.

Infact, I'd almost go so far to say that individual animals have different needs and requirements.

Anyway, if the cat is on your property and your dog ate it, not your fault. Cat's generally aren't containable.

If a dog came on your property and injured your cat (if that happened to me, that dog would go "missing") that's not your fault and you'd expect the owners to pay for vet bills.

"Expect" though, it's not law to pay... if they were financially unstable for example obviously they probably wouldn't.

Plus I don't think pet insurance covers that sort of stuff.