November 29, 200916 yr comment_342292 Cool, whats the species? How available are they? Size???? http://www.fnzas.org.nz/index.php?PG=nativefish&NID=GO6 Report
May 19, 201511 yr comment_561075 lol i know, only just saw this. I didn't know they were illegal?? Report
May 20, 201511 yr comment_561123 lol i know, only just saw this. I didn't know they were illegal?? I've heard of someone claiming they had some... but I doubt it. The only FW shrimp available here are our natives, which require temps preferably under 21 degrees, making them unsuitable for tropical tanks. Report
May 20, 201511 yr comment_561139 I'm not sure. Are they likely to be a pest in NZ? - as in if someone let them free into NZ waters? I'd say they probably wouldn't be a pest because of their difficulty surviving in cold waters... If they're not going to be a pest surely it shouldn't be illegal. But I don't know the laws surrounding this.. Any thoughts? Report
May 20, 201511 yr comment_561145 I honestly don't know what happens when inverts are in NZ - we have several pest snail species which are (presumably) legal to keep but cannot be imported. I'm picking it's a case-by-case basis as to what happens when the invert is in NZ? Report
May 20, 201511 yr comment_561148 I'm not sure. Are they likely to be a pest in NZ? - as in if someone let them free into NZ waters? I'd say they probably wouldn't be a pest because of their difficulty surviving in cold waters... If they're not going to be a pest surely it shouldn't be illegal. But I don't know the laws surrounding this.. Any thoughts? The law/MPI/MAF etc doesn't care if you think they shouldn't be a pest and shouldn't be illegal. They care if you can prove they won't be. I'm sure if you can do that, and follow the correct process they will be added to the import list. Report
May 20, 201511 yr comment_561149 i suppose that's the real question. even if they appear really healthy themselves, they could carry a disease that affects other animals. right? Report
May 21, 201511 yr comment_561160 I'm sure if you can do that, and follow the correct process they will be added to the import list. Will never be allowed to be imported in our lifetime, :sml1: :sml1: Report
May 21, 201511 yr comment_561168 Will never be allowed to be imported in our lifetime, :sml1: :sml1: The correct process may in fact involve overthrowing the government and setting yourself up as ruling warlord, but still. You follow the process it can be done... Report
May 24, 201511 yr comment_561244 I dont think cherry shrimp will be allowed in nz anytime soon, they can survive cold water and breed like rabbits... Report
July 1, 201511 yr comment_562277 Are they laws regarding the selling or RCS and CRS in NZ? I would honestly say ask MPI. It's hard to tell what the laws are when the organism is in NZ, and there's a big possibility that if they're considered "new" (eg recently imported illegally) that they will be deemed illegal. It also depends on how risky they see the organism as. It would be really good if you can let them know if there is an established population in NZ as while I've heard a couple of rumours, I've not actually seen any myself. Report
July 1, 201511 yr comment_562305 was talking to my nephew back at home, n he bought cherry shrimp in his tank !! it cost him 50 cents lol Report
July 1, 201511 yr comment_562306 What I belive has to happen with this kind of thing is any species that can't suvive below 15 degrees should auto maticly be put on the import list they should have to go through all the normal processes and this would greatly increase variety I know cherry shrimp can suvive below that so should not be brought in but there much cooler freshwater shrimp that fit in the above requiments like blue tigers Report
July 2, 201511 yr comment_562308 What I belive has to happen with this kind of thing is any species that can't suvive below 15 degrees should auto maticly be put on the import list they should have to go through all the normal processes and this would greatly increase variety I know cherry shrimp can suvive below that so should not be brought in but there much cooler freshwater shrimp that fit in the above requiments like blue tigers Unfortunately it's not that easy. As these guys have a short lifecycle, they are much more likely to adapt to cooler temps over time and the likelihood of being allowed to import any freshwater invert is very low. Yes, it sucks, but it does mean that we're helping to protect our native animals which are much more important than our desires as hobbyists. Crystal Red Shrimp = CRS Red Cherry Shrimp = RCS Report
July 2, 201511 yr comment_562310 There are a few diseases that shrimp suffer from and in aquaculture overseas many new diseases are popping up that wipe out entire farms and are just called EMS early mortality syndrome. Shrimp can carry these diseases such as White spot syndrome (WSS) a viral infection of penaeid shrimp. The disease is highly lethal and contagious, and easily transferred to other crustaceans. Report
July 2, 201511 yr comment_562312 That why I said they should go through the normal import process Report
July 3, 201511 yr comment_562326 They might as well approve it as they are already in NZ along with Xmas/candy cane shrimp... Let's hope they do as this will open the door for other species Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.