Cherry Shrimp - Import Application

piggyvir

I am going to submit an import application to MAF to import Cherry Shrimp. I am hoping I can keep this thread as WIP and Technical support. It looks like the deadline line of application is end of Jan (according to last year schedule) and they will announcement the successful application around July.

For those who are willling to help, here's the first question - which country should I import the shrimp from? I come from HK and that's where I see these lovely shrimp and I am thinking to import it from there. Any other suggestions?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure on where to get them from, there are some in Aus so I'd look there seeing as they're the closest and most similar to us. But they cost $50 ea! :o Perhaps Singapore or similar?

As for tips, just do your research. There are many one here (myself included) that'd be keen for these little critters, but you'll need to find a larger market.

Good luck! :hail:

Thanks for pursuing this. Im sure the FNZAS can assist as much as is possible.

Importing them from Singapore would be your best bet.

The other thing to bear in mind, is that MAF do not need to prove that there is a credible threat to NZ biosecurity with them importation of this organism, but is to prove that there is NIL/ no credible threat at all.

I've found someone that ship guppies and shrimp to international customers - it seems like I can get away with the importers perhaps.. I have emailed MAF to confirm.

Dear Virginia,

Hobbyist usually request to be ship by courier service which is the cheapest for about 50 to 100pcs. Estimated shipping and handling cost is USD65/-.

Rgds

Sean

Hi Virginia

Should your application be successful, your transport method to New Zealand would not be of concern, so this would be fine.

Regards

Erin Maher | Advisor

here we go - no importers required !!!!!! I just need to get the application going, courier it from overseas on superfast courier.. since I am just a hobbyist with no plan on selling the shrimps, I cannot see the point of getting an importer involved.

Emm - understand and I will try my very best to submit this.. since I dont' have much to do lately.....

I can't believe this they do this every years only !!

Hi Virginia

I have attached a word document that outlines the process that you must go through to add a species to the list. As you will see, the first step to adding a species is to confirm with ERMA whether it is considered new or not. You can contact them at [email protected]

The next step would be to apply for the change in the Import Health Standard, which can be found at the link below.

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/regs/imports/ihs/request

The last prioritisation round closed in Jan 2009 so the next set of applications will be considered/viewed in Jan 2011 so you will have plenty of time.

here we go - no importers required !!!!!! I just need to get the application going, courier it from overseas on superfast courier.. since I am just a hobbyist with no plan on selling the shrimps, I cannot see the point of getting an importer involved.

Go for it ----what can you loose :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: only money and thats made to go around

:roll: :roll: pity i dont see any of it. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

************well thats life********

lol.. drilling down a bit more, it's more complicated than what it requires in Canada... I think it will be much easier for me to leave this country and go to somewhere else where Cherry Shrimp is available.. haha

I think I will still submit the application for the sake of it...

I have been looking through the quarantine requirement and this clause is so not fair !!!!

As the supervisor is required to make frequent visits to the facility (see 6.4.1) the operator shall agree to pay the costs associated with these visits.

just that they want to visit for whatever reasons, I need to pay?!

should i take the risk just have that courier without the permit and quarantine facility? hehe.. not a wise choice I guess

just that they want to visit for whatever reasons, I need to pay?!

Their reasons are justified. they want to make sure that our country is untouched - like its clean green image.

IF someone wants to import live animals, you gots to pay for it.

Discus wholesale for about $4 in South America. Then the importers buy them off the harvesters, and/or the breeders, and bring them here (that is the shortest possible chain - in reality the supply chain is longer). The retail here for about $150.

The parity in price is not all a retail mark up - but is fairly indicative of the costs of quarantine - and that is after realising economies of scale and importing literally thousands of fish in a single shipment. It can take several years to recoup the intital costs associated.

should i take the risk just have that courier without the permit and quarantine facility? hehe.. not a wise choice I guess

lets assume, they do make it to your door step, which they will not. MAf would then pay you a visit, fine you for intentionally bypassing the system and confiscate and destroy the organisms. And that's just the start of it.

sigh.. getting anything into this country is sooo hard.... yet we are not disease free.... oh well.. the big price for clean air i suppose :(

Should I give up then....I still want my cherry shrimp :(

Thanks everyone for the input though !! i have learnt a lot in the past 3 days :)

each time someone comes up with this idea of importing they end up giving up

making your submission is just the first step

this will probably be declined, but reasons for that will be given

research will find the fallacy in the reasons

and a better application put in the next time

as has been said this can take awhile but it is not an impossibility

especially if many hands and minds work on it

I have been looking through the quarantine requirement and this clause is so not fair !!!!

Are you even thinking the consequences through at all?? :o :evil:

This is not just the silly laws being all mean and making it sooo harrrd for the nice little hobbyists to get perfectly charming pets into the country!

Think varroa mite. Think painted apple moth. Think old man's beard.

Rats, mice, possums, ferrets, stoats, weasels.

White butterfly, garden snails, on and on and on.

Think every freaking weed and annoying pest.

Almost all of them are exotics and the result of accidental importation or poorly researched intentional introduction.

The weeds clogging our streams mostly came via ponds and aquariums.

No matter how wonderful these shrimp might be, or how little risk *you* think they pose, you still have to go through the same process.

I'm sure some of your fish would love a bright red shrimp swimming round in their tank :wink: lol.......(please take it as a joke)

you also forgot about diddymo

I am quite glad that I am into oranda rather than freshwater at the moment....

but orandas are freshwater...

Don't give up either

Are you even thinking the consequences through at all?? :o :evil:

This is not just the silly laws being all mean and making it sooo harrrd for the nice little hobbyists to get perfectly charming pets into the country!

Think varroa mite. Think painted apple moth. Think old man's beard.

Rats, mice, possums, ferrets, stoats, weasels.

White butterfly, garden snails, on and on and on.

Think every freaking weed and annoying pest.

Almost all of them are exotics and the result of accidental importation or poorly researched intentional introduction.

The weeds clogging our streams mostly came via ponds and aquariums.

No matter how wonderful these shrimp might be, or how little risk *you* think they pose, you still have to go through the same process.

You forgot trout...