Tank Setup Log. Conversion from S.American To African

phoenix44

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gutted mate :( Sorry to hear about that.. I hope no more die at least you still have enough dems and yellows for colonies of each?

I did the same thing the other day my big tank got down to 15C just plugged the heaters back in and no losses, africans are pretty tough..

Thanks tracy. I dont mind paying the going rate for the fish, its just finding them at the moment. I think ill have to wait for a month. they guy I bought them off is real good. he will let me know in a month when he has some more growing.

hey ryan - still have like 20 dems but only 5 yellows. 5 yellows are not enough. they are used to being in a large group so hide most of the time unless they are eating. :cry:

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

there was about a 24 - 36 hour period that they were in cold temp. i presume the temp raised up to 17 during the day as the lounge usually gets bathed in sunlight.

thanks for the fish offer, but any thing small will get eaten as there is a syno and 12 clown loaches in there.

ive been advised to leave the tank for a bit and grow them out, and then in a month if i can get some more fish i might. :)

again, thanks for the offer.

there was about a 24 - 36 hour period that they were in cold temp. i presume the temp raised up to 17 during the day as the lounge usually gets bathed in sunlight.

thanks for the fish offer, but any thing small will get eaten as there is a syno and 12 clown loaches in there.

ive been advised to leave the tank for a bit and grow them out, and then in a month if i can get some more fish i might. :)

again, thanks for the offer.

Keep checking your water parameters.

After being cold for that period of time you may have also killed of your filter bacteria and your tank may go through another cycle

well i couldnt help my self today. got a whole lot of javafern microsporum, tropica and windelov i think it is and have it in my tank now. looks nice and green. i will see if i can keep it alive and then ill get more in the future maybe :D

EDIT - whoops just realised that microsporum, and windelov are the same plant

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks! the lack of plant in the tank was driving me mental.

3 types of java fern in there now.

hope these pics are ok. just took them.

DSC05578Small.jpg

DSC05574Small.jpg

DSC05573Small.jpg

DSC05571Small.jpg

I also got a proper stand and hood for the tank, its pure black - but the tank will only be transferred on that at the end of the year when i move house.

erm.. yes and no really.

they are not as spectacular as a flaring firemouth, but are way cooler than your average s. american cichlid - like angels, apistos and that sort.

i still do like the american cichlids, but of all the africans the ones i really like are the male peacocks, yellows, dems and then there is the stuff we dont get here... i like some tangs like maleris and transpcriptus's cause they swim and do random upside down stuff.

Wow. Very nice Phoenix!

This is the only rocky tank with lake Cichlids in it that I can truely say I like. The Java Fern is different but looks awesome. Not surprised you couldn't resist having no plants, only my hospital tank is without plants.

erm.. yes and no really.

they are not as spectacular as a flaring firemouth, but are way cooler than your average s. american cichlid - like angels, apistos and that sort.

i still do like the american cichlids, but of all the africans the ones i really like are the male peacocks, yellows, dems and then there is the stuff we dont get here... i like some tangs like maleris and transpcriptus's cause they swim and do random upside down stuff.

And also you can stock more of them :)

a 4ft tank can only house 3-4 small americans like firemouths etc.

ah yes. got to love aquatic plants. im considering getting a LOT of anubias species, and re planting the anubias hastifolia in the tank.

And also you can stock more of them :)

a 4ft tank can only house 3-4 small americans like firemouths etc.

yeah, next tank shall be a pleco tank :D

im currently building up those pleco numbers.

Looks nice Phoenix. I love the colour of the dems

aren't they just the neatest fish? I think I have 20 of the original 25 that I got, but now I can see 1 holding. I think its too late for me to add more, but ideally i would like some more.

aren't they just the neatest fish? I think I have 20 of the original 25 that I got, but now I can see 1 holding. I think its too late for me to add more, but ideally i would like some more.

would be cool if some of the babies survive :bounce: