'leopard geckos

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was only a general comment not directed at you personally aqua,

as we had digressed into a dicussion on inbreeding which is a big kettle of fish and probably deserves a thread on its own

maybe i should have thrown a smiley face on the end to make it more friendly :D

was only a general comment not directed at you personally aqua,

as we had digressed into a dicussion on inbreeding which is a big kettle of fish and probably deserves a thread on its own

maybe i should have thrown a smiley face on the end to make it more friendly :D

smileys always help :D:D:D

Argument is over though RITE. notice clever positioning of the fullstop instead of the usual question mark :D :lol:

so with the different coloured Leopard geckos - are they just different morphs from same parents or have they been bred to select for those traits?

colour morphs tend to pop out of small gene pools more often than larger ones.

As do less desirable genetic mutations and problems. :wink: (not withstanding the fact sometimes we have to deal with those where the gene pool is small and assuming people do not continue to breed with problematic offspring)

Given that we have "wild type": animals here and that pigmentation is some what related to incubation temp there is no reason that we cant produce some of those colour morphs given we maintain an reasonable gene pool with teh limited breeding stock we have.

That is probably teh best reason that those with " breeders" maintain some sort of register of animals born sold breed etc.

lol and also to give to the man when they are made illegal...or not...lol

LMAO

Navarre

For there needs to be any concerted effort into breeding different colour morphs, there will need to be someone who is willing and able to devote the time and resources neccassary for such a thing to happen.

Still from what I hear they breed well and make great pets.

And, not wanting to start another off topic debate , it will need to be someone who knows a thing or two about genetics and one who is willing to cull that which is not up to scratch or explain the situation to a prospective client.

Most of the time in NZ we see someone doing it more to get 'rich' and not be concerned about the long term viability of the industry....

I look forward to the time when I too have a pair producing young for friends and family to enjoy.

Rob

I have the knowlegde and experience and am most willing to dedicate the time and effort. It will take quite some time to develop new morphs but it is worth it! With the prices coming down as they are I will be able to get started sometime soon (hopefully :D ). Need a nice size group to start with.

Personally I do not think that culling is necessary, provided the little one in question has a chance at a normal life. Those that are not good for further breeding will need to be homed purely as a pet. Personally I would just keep it and love it! I'm a sucker for these creatures! :lol:

I have the knowlegde and experience and am most willing to dedicate the time and effort. It will take quite some time to develop new morphs but it is worth it! With the prices coming down as they are I will be able to get started sometime soon (hopefully :D ). Need a nice size group to start with.

Personally I do not think that culling is necessary, provided the little one in question has a chance at a normal life. Those that are not good for further breeding will need to be homed purely as a pet. Personally I would just keep it and love it! I'm a sucker for these creatures! :lol:

Problem is controlling whether they remain just pets of someone decides to be unscrupulous - is there a way of desexing them ? I guess if a reptile breeder is selling a $1500 gecko and desexing is possible they should be responsible and have that done if its possible just like cat breeders do ? Do you reckon ?