'leopard geckos

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it matter breeding a male and female from the same "litter" with reptiles ? I know with cats and dogs etc that is a no-no.

Well we have limited breeding stock here so there is no choice. You can get some cool gecko's out of in breeding haha

probably because they are line bred pedigrees

Well in cats and dogs there is a thing called co-efficient of in-breeding which determines how much line breeding has been done. Certain matings are acceptable at certain stages of a breeding program, others are not. But as a rule, brother to sister is definitely not the way to go - it drastically increases the chances of genetic problems; hence the desire for genetic diversity as much as possible with the 'odd occasion' where specific line-breeding choices are made.

Gene pool does determine what can be done though, and I recognise there are not many LGs in NZ. I dream of the day that MAF will wake up and agree to more LGs being allowed in. (naiive i know !)

not the thread police just a lot of conjecture, the leps in question are not solely from a single male/female pairing

There was no conjecture on my part livingart - I simply asked an honest question about breeding leopard geckos. The question was not even in reference to any specific geckos :-?