'leopard geckos

desexing a gecko.

in theory it can be done, but risk of anesthetic means that the animal would have a high chance of not coming out of anesthesia. local may not be an option either, its too small.

I don't like culling either. if the offspring have something wrong with them, take the hint and know that this is natures way of telling you that something is being done wrong :lol:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

desexing a gecko.

in theory it can be done, but risk of anesthetic means that the animal would have a high chance of not coming out of anesthesia. local may not be an option either, its too small.

I don't like culling either. if the offspring have something wrong with them, take the hint and know that this is natures way of telling you that something is being done wrong :lol:

Fair enough - didnt know if it was an option or not :)

Would be nice to see a couple of main breeders breeding these properly and seeing the price come down so that the main cost is the setup.

In the pet hobby the cost of keeping ones pets is the 'everything' else we need.

I actually have a business and farm implementation plan some where I did up for someone.

Number of eggs laid by age

Year Eggs

1 6

2 20

3 12

4 16

5 25

6 10

7 10

8 8

9 6

10 4

11 4

12 2

13 0

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_gecko

As with any commercial animal venture, time, money and animals, are needed to get started.

Once your established it's alot easier after that.

Main thing is having the original money and time to invest.

NZ is a small market and so requires only a couple of growers to supply demand to start with.

Hobby breeders will then supply industry with some but main breeders will keep the supply going on a more continuous basis and get slightly more than any hobby grower.

I have always believed there needed to be a couple of commercial reptile breeders in NZ who could handle supply and MAF...

from the wikipedia article

Thirty days later, the female will lay one or two eggs with a leathery shell. Clutches of two eggs will then be laid every two weeks to monthly throughout the rest of the mating season varying from each gecko according to age, with older females gradually laying less eggs with each year. The eggs will need to be incubated.

7 or 8 month breeding season

1-The LG's at the Bird Barn have several different colours

2-Im breeding is done in the wild all the time. With a lot of animals, fish and reptiles, the area that they are bred in is normally close to where they spend their lives so the breeding pool is very small and close

In racing pigeons, there was an experment done where mother was bred to son, then son to their daughter etc. This went on for about 48 generation I think before I gave up on following it. Going from memory, I think at about 12 to 17 generations there were a larger than normal "faults" found but through selective breeding (in the wild these "faults" would not even survive) these problems dissapared.

Most will agree that its great to have hybrid vigour but the better breeding stock is normally pure

With Northo Killis that die out every year, every one has been closely imbred for 1000's of years so there fore 100% related and with no problems.

I cant speak for reps but to me, far too much time is being spent on worring about the limited gene pool we have here

So it would not take much to get quite a farm going would it ?
no it wouldn`t,and due to the lack of males and the ability to feed the `market` with only females or only males a few people with breeding stock can make alot of money in a few years??

I am sure the price will come down as it has with beardies but it will take time. Lets face it--- One can only breed with the stock that is available in the country so I hope people do that and out breed as much as is possible with such limited stock when the chance arrives..

...which will pretty much be never. It will never be commercially viable to breed them on a scale that they do in the US, live insects aren't anywhere near as cheap here as they are in the US, and there isn't anywhere near enough of a market. Beardies dropped drastically from $1500+ to $500 and have leveled out at around $350-500 for juvis, and I doubt it'll get much cheaper as a lot of people who were breeding them will find them harder to sell and that its not worth while breeding them and give up. Unless MAF suddenly allows them to be imported, you will never see leps for anywhere near $15US.

Why is everyone so concerned with the money anyway? People in the fish/herp hobby need to stop being so tight-fisted with their cash. How much do those yappy little cross-bred fluffy designer mutts sell for? They're not rare or difficult to breed yet fetch the same price as a leopard gecko or asian arowana. Pure-bred cats and dogs sell for $300-$1000+, golf club memberships can be hugely expensive, I know people who have spent $5000+ on mountain bikes that will be technologically obsolete in a few years, what does a season-pass at a ski field cost, and you can't even compare this hobby to the cost of competing in even entry-level motorsport. I'd happily pay $1500 for a lep if I didn't have other priorities for my hobbies budget (new 1000L+ tank) and I honestly hope they don't come down in price too much because if they were cheap there would be a heap of people who buy them and get bored with them very quickly. Once the fish/reptile is bought and the tank set up the ongoing costs are pretty small compared to most hobbies. Leps can live for 10-15+years, so even if you didn't breed them the cost of the animal spread out over all those years isn't that much.

I really am sick of people complaining at how expensive fish/reptiles are, just be thankful people actually bother to breed/import them... :evil:

Why is everyone so concerned with the money anyway? People in the fish/herp hobby need to stop being so tight-fisted with their cash.

I really am sick of people complaining at how expensive fish/reptiles are, just be thankful people actually bother to breed/import them... :evil:

I think you need to get off your supercilious high horse mate - clearly you have money to burn but not everyone is loaded. Most people would find $1500 a huge amount to pay, and don't have the option of tossing up between a $1500 reptile and a 1000L+ aquarium set up. Good for you if you have such a fortunate financial situation, just don't lump everyone in that boat !

...Beardies dropped drastically from $1500+ to $500 and have leveled out at around $350-500 for juvis,

Why is everyone so concerned with the money anyway? People in the fish/herp hobby need to stop being so tight-fisted with their cash. How much do those yappy little cross-bred fluffy designer mutts sell for? They're not rare or difficult to breed yet fetch the same price as a leopard gecko or asian arowana. Pure-bred cats and dogs sell for $300-$1000+, golf club memberships can be hugely expensive, I know people who have spent $5000+ on mountain bikes that will be technologically obsolete in a few years, what does a season-pass at a ski field cost, and you can't even compare this hobby to the cost of competing in even entry-level motorsport. I'd happily pay $1500 for a lep if I didn't have other priorities for my hobbies budget (new 1000L+ tank) and I honestly hope they don't come down in price too much because if they were cheap there would be a heap of people who buy them and get bored with them very quickly. Once the fish/reptile is bought and the tank set up the ongoing costs are pretty small compared to most hobbies. Leps can live for 10-15+years, so even if you didn't breed them the cost of the animal spread out over all those years isn't that much.

Feel better David? :wink:

Beardies at the Bird Barn are normally $250 each for young

I do agree with you though, I have people trying to tell me how much I should charge them for glass without knowing what the related costs are and by trying to compare costs in say China

I cant afford a 60 ft launch and I should be able to afford it if others can so that makes those that have one rich and bad people all because I cant afford it

well said mate

I agree too.

Don't like the price.. don't buy it.. SIMPLE.

No one's holding a gun to any ones head and forcing them to buy LG's any how.

Its like whinging about the price of a Lamborghini :roll: