'leopard geckos

Its nothing like comparing it to a lamborghini - i hardly think you could describe leopard geckos as the lanborghini of the reptile world ! I also think that commercial breeding is totally possible - if I had the money spare I would do it myself - not to make myself a lot of money but to bring the price to a more affordable level.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its nothing like comparing it to a lamborghini -

yes it is.

few lambos are produced and brought to NZ... few lg's are born in NZ

few own lambos........few own lg's

lambos are expensive..... lg's are expensive

lambos are worth the money..... lg's are worth the money

I like lambos.... i like lg's

and the day i get my lambo ill get my lg 8) :-?

yes it is.

few lambos are produced and brought to NZ... few lg's are born in NZ

few own lambos........few own lg's

lambos are expensive..... lg's are expensive

lambos are worth the money..... lg's are worth the money

I like lambos.... i like lg's

and the day i get my lambo ill get my lg 8) :-?

well we agree on some things at least, though im still not convinced on the concept lol.

I think you need to get off your supercilious high horse mate - clearly you have money to burn but not everyone is loaded.

Yeah right, not that its any of your business, but seems how you're imagining me as some spoiled investment bankers son living in his parents Parnell mansion on hand-outs from mum and dad, I'll give you a run down on my financial status. For the past three years since moving to Auckland I was earning just over $33k a year, both my parents are school teachers and are hardly loaded, and although my partner is an accountant she also has a huge student loan to pay back. Out of my weekly pay cheque I had to pay all the regular bills, as well as spending on my hobbies of fish, mountain biking, rare plants, and cars. In the end I took a break from cars/motorsport to spend a bit more on fish, its called making sacrifices. This year I started a new job and got a bit of a pay rise, and will be getting a substantial raise in a couple of months once I have finished training. But, we have also just bought our first house (oh yeah, I managed to save a bit too) so now the equivalent of my entire salary is being consumed on mortgage payments, and so we are left with my partners pay for all other expenses. If I want something I will save, budget, and make sacrifices to make it happen. I don't drink [much] and very rarely go out for dinner/drinks/partying. My wardrobe is pretty limited and my shoe collection consists of one pair of chucks that have lasted for over two years (aside from my steelcaps and a haggard old pair of runners). I've given up two of my expensive hobbies [snowboarding and cars], and Hannah and I haven't had a proper holiday in a few years.

I have worked hard since I was 15 (now 28) to pay for my hobbies, which have always been more expensive than the usual cricket/rugby, and actually find your comments quite offensive, you obviously have a severe case of tall-poppy syndrome. I've got no idea of what you do for a living or your situation, so if for some genuine reason you are going through financial hardship then don't take my comments [or willingness to spend on my hobbies] so personally.

Yeah right, not that its any of your business, but seems how you're imagining me as some spoiled investment bankers son living in his parents Parnell mansion on hand-outs from mum and dad, I'll give you a run down on my financial status. For the past three years since moving to Auckland I was earning just over $33k a year, both my parents are school teachers and are hardly loaded, and although my partner is an accountant she also has a huge student loan to pay back. Out of my weekly pay cheque I had to pay all the regular bills, as well as spending on my hobbies of fish, mountain biking, rare plants, and cars. In the end I took a break from cars/motorsport to spend a bit more on fish, its called making sacrifices. This year I started a new job and got a bit of a pay rise, and will be getting a substantial raise in a couple of months once I have finished training. But, we have also just bought our first house (oh yeah, I managed to save a bit too) so now the equivalent of my entire salary is being consumed on mortgage payments, and so we are left with my partners pay for all other expenses. If I want something I will save, budget, and make sacrifices to make it happen. I don't drink [much] and very rarely go out for dinner/drinks/partying. My wardrobe is pretty limited and my shoe collection consists of one pair of chucks that have lasted for over two years (aside from my steelcaps and a haggard old pair of runners). I've given up two of my expensive hobbies [snowboarding and cars], and Hannah and I haven't had a proper holiday in a few years.

I have worked hard since I was 15 (now 28) to pay for my hobbies, which have always been more expensive than the usual cricket/rugby, and actually find your comments quite offensive, you obviously have a severe case of tall-poppy syndrome. I've got no idea of what you do for a living or your situation, so if for some genuine reason you are going through financial hardship then don't take my comments [or willingness to spend on my hobbies] so personally.

Im not interested in your life story - its your attitude in your previous post that sucked as far as Im concerned - you came across as saying everyone should be happy to pay a lot of money for something I consider is still overpriced.

Caching!

You horrible elitist capitalist money hoarder! They're only worth $50 max. Don't over-price them and you'll sell millions, everyone wants a small slow lizard that spends most of the time hiding, they'll be more popular that budgies as soon as the price comes down.

Couldn't have a leopard gecko as my Timor Monitor would eat it .... dreams are free huh !

It all comes down to supply & demand, what the market is prepared to pay. Well thats what my accounting teacher at Naenae college taught me : ]

Lol, this has been entertaining! I must say that I wouldn't mind seeing the price come down a tad but loving leo's as I do I believe that $1500 is well worth it. I'd pay $1500 for a LG anyday over a chihauhau and you dont get all the attitude!

Its nothing like comparing it to a lamborghini - i hardly think you could describe leopard geckos as the lanborghini of the reptile world

at the moment they could be considered the lambo of the legal lizard world in nz

mind you having 2 lamborghinis doesn't mean they will produce offspring :D

P.S. the mental picture of davidr seated on a tall steed with a haughty or disdainful look on its face leaves me :o

guys, bottom line. the original animals were not cheap. breeders make back what they can. An animal is worth whatever anyone is willing to pay for it. The people that pay 1500 and breed them will more than make back the initial outlay. I for one am glad that the new things that come out are pricey...we are lucky that the people who know what they are doing with herps can make some coin. In my case the coin does not go on puffy jackets or a cool car..or a missus:(. It goes to my $800 per month power bill and getting more cool herps. I bet that the people that get the leps will look after them very well indeed...more than they would the family goldfish..3 for $9 from animates.

The guys that got in first on the beardies..not the ones who waited...made good money. The leps produce less young and hence the price will remain high for longer. If you want to wait for the price to be lower then go for it, or if you are serious about having a hobby that pays you back a bit then hold off on the mag wheels...plasma tv...labradoodle and be responsible for making this hobby grow. It'll be more productive than trying to spawn emperor angels and less mess than breeding shitzus....and reptiles are cooler anyhow.

Nuff said.

I'm stuck on wether to get Leopaed geckos or Barbarta Bearded dragon ...

There are pro,s and con,s for both but do love the Leopaeds but the

Barbarta,s do have the size ...

will just have to think about it ...

you certainly couldn't house them together.

Not till the price drops drops anyway.

at the moment they could be considered the lambo of the legal lizard world in nz

mind you having 2 lamborghinis doesn't mean they will produce offspring :D

P.S. the mental picture of davidr seated on a tall steed with a haughty or disdainful look on its face leaves me :o

I suppose they can. I was being obstinate. Im a leo ! :oops: Funny though - because I could care less that I can't afford a lamborghini but it bugs the bejesus out of me that I can't afford LG's. Go figure :)

Lol, this has been entertaining! I must say that I wouldn't mind seeing the price come down a tad but loving leo's as I do I believe that $1500 is well worth it. I'd pay $1500 for a LG anyday over a chihauhau and you dont get all the attitude!

LOL - One of the LG's i had back home had more attitude than a rottweiler let alone a chihuahua :D

You are right though - it boils down to whether we think something is worth it, and being worth it often boils down to whether we can afford it - though not always. Sometimes we even buy things we dont think are worth it just because we want it. (That sounds confusing I know). :roll:

Anyway, someone has kindly PM'd me to point out that I seem to be getting a bit stressed too often over certain topics - pricing in NZ being the main one. They have enabled me to realise the truth of this and I agree I have allowed my frustration get the better of me. For that I must apologise to the forum members.

What makes it difficult for me is coming from a country where availability, choice and price are all completely different from what I am experiencing in New Zealand. I guess I am finding this hard to adjust to, and certain comments about "people whining about price" were as a red rag to a bull. I took the bait and should not have done so.

At the end of the day, I hope my comments will be seen as they were intended - an honest desire to see such beautiful things (be they leopard geckos or certain expensive fish) available to all who appreciate them, born from frustration that this is the case elsewhere - call me a naiive Robin Hood type if you like. I realise its an idealistic hope, but we can all live in hope.

Until then, I will shut up and put up until either the price changes or my financial situation does :)

What makes it difficult for me is coming from a country where availability, choice and price are all completely different from what I am experiencing in New Zealand. I guess I am finding this hard to adjust to, and certain comments about "people whining about price" were as a red rag to a bull. I took the bait and should not have done so.

Fair enough, but just consider yourself lucky you didn't end up in Australia where fish prices (aside from natives) are way higher. My point is that people should be thankful for what they can get here, and that they can still legally keep and breed stuff that is no longer imported.