Wide & narrow tank lust

Romeo

I was browsing MonsterFishKeepers for the first time and came across this one guys tank. It's like 2 meters wide, 30cm tall and 25cm deep. I instantly fell in lust with it, as it would be PERFECT for my Koura to scurry about in, plus I could have a school of Inanga. Have a big external filter and set it up as a river type tank flowing from one end to another.

Problem is, there doesn't seem to be many of these tanks around? Long, narrow tanks. So I'm guessing there's a reason why there isn't?

We're in a raised flat, so I don't want a 250kg+ monster fish tank. So the thought of a 5" by 1" by 1" appeals (about 130 litres). I like the easy maintenance of smaller tanks, but the width wouldn't add very much hassle at all.

What sort of factors do I have to consider when looking at getting one of these tanks made?

long_fish_tank-1.jpg

Cheers,

Romeo

A tank that narrow is difficult to landscape. There pretty well is a standard dimension for tanks. The old one was 24x12x12inches, then 36x18x18inches. You can pretty well go as long as you want but too high is difficult to grow plants and too narrow is difficult to landscape and looks out of proportion. The fish don't mind--it is only us.

My tanks are bare bottom as I use them as grow out tanks for my fighters. I had thought about landscaping them but they are not really wide enough for it and also I would want to put bigger fish in them but they only hold just over 100 litres. I image a 5ft or bigger would be good for fish who like a river type environment.

On the native fish side of things...

They certainly don't need much depth, so that is fine.

Good point of Alan's about landscaping. Might be harder constructing caves for the koura.

I have found (strangely) that inanga are more likely to make an idiot of themselves and bash their noses into the ends of the tank if it is long. They can get up a lot of speed quickly. In a small tank they tend not to do that so much. But still, they would look awesome zipping up and down!

It would have a greater surface*-to-volume ratio than the same volume in a more traditional shorter-fatter tank. Might increase temperature fluctuation issues.

(*meaning all the sides of the glass box, not just the water surface)

Not sure what your heart is set on, but if you gave it a bit more front-to-back depth, it would be easier to landscape, give both fish and koura a little more groundspace, decrease the surface-to-volume ratio etc. BUT it is probably quite functional, just good to be aware of possible issues to begin with.

Oh, another point: the tank is not huge in volume, but it is long. I would be wanting to use thick glass for it. I get nervous with long tanks potentially cracking due to the stand not being completely flat etc.

Not sure what your heart is set on, but if you gave it a bit more front-to-back depth, it would be easier to landscape, give both fish and koura a little more groundspace, decrease the surface-to-volume ratio etc. BUT it is probably quite functional, just good to be aware of possible issues to begin with.

Hi Stella,

The surface-to-volume ratio will not actually change if the tank is made deeper from front to back. As the volume increases linearly with the change in depth, so does the surface area. Therefore the surface area to volume ratio remains the same. It will change if the height of the tank changes as the volume is changing without the surface area changing...

Romeo,

A tank only 250mm from front to back will only look like it's 180mm deep when viewed from the front as water diffracts the light and makes things look about 2/3 of the length. So you'd be best to go with around 450mm front to back (so it actually looks like its 250-300mm deep... Unless of course if you want it to look very thin.

The floor will be fine with this weight as it will be distributed over a long length. According to the tank volume calculator http://www.fnzas.org.nz/index.php?PG=tank, the tank will be about 46kg empty, hold 252L of water and weigh approx 298kg when full (assuming no gravel). This is based on a tank 2000 x 450 x 300 made from 6mm glass with a 10mm bottom. This is about the same as 4 people standing side by side in a 2m x 0.45m space against the wall - no problem. Gravel will add a bit of extra weight but still no problem.

Also, if you put enough flow in there you could have a crack at torrentfish :D

My torries have had no current for the last couple of months, owing to the tremendous rise in temperature the pumps cause. They seem to be totally fine without it, but are much more entertaining with it.

The biggest thing to remember with torries is that they are one of the more delicate fish, with a high need for oxygen and cool temperatures.

Tonight I counted all six of mine. This happens rarely as the tank has sufficient rockery and hiding places for them to be out of sight at most times, and they are nearly impossible for me to tell apart. Good to know they are all still present and correct and non-fluffy!

So Romeo, you still toying with the thin-tank idea? :)

how much is it going to cost to make it?

depending on the price i might be able to make it for you cheaper.

I've had a rough starter price of $150+ for 6mm glass, and upwards of $300 for 10mm all round (These are very rough estimates, as he's on holiday and can't do his usual pricing calculations). I've seen the build quality on his tanks and they're very high quality.

What can you provide?

It would probably cost more than that for me to make it, sorry.

Im not a business i just make my own tanks when i need one, i get window glass cut to the measuements i need and then just seal it together with selleys all clear. the tanks come out looking exactly how you want it to look. i have made all my frog and fish tanks before now. if your looking to save money you could call up the glass places and D.I.Y the job.