Another Great NZ Molly Hunt?

Wok

It certainly can be done, but when it happens on a larger commercial scale then individual fish don't get quite the treatment they should and things can go horribly wrong.

DOA from the congo: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... tcount=456 (you'll need to be registered to see the pics)

Even when dealing with captive-bred fish there is still a huge mortality rate, much more than the occasional dead fish you see at the LFS. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... tcount=448 US$50k worth of stock, dead.

(posts taken from the MFK Dead Fish Thread)

Anyone who doesn't accept that the fish hobby kills a hell of a lot of fish is kidding themselves. But the good does out-weigh the bad, and that is why we do it. For example, how many species are being bred in captivity now that would otherwise be extinct in the wild? The deaths are just a fact of life, and by participating in this hobby you either acknowledge and accept it, or turn a blind eye and bury your head in the sand.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So by your logic, pohutakawa forests are now the possums environment and we shouldn't be poisoning them?

And as for "trampling it down", are you suggesting mankind should just stick to the concrete paths they have made and leave the rest of the world untouched and undiscovered?

and never mow lawns or trim hedges?

Anyone who doesn't accept that the fish hobby kills a hell of a lot of fish is kidding themselves. But the good does out-weigh the bad, and that is why we do it. For example, how many species are being bred in captivity now that would otherwise be extinct in the wild? The deaths are just a fact of life, and by participating in this hobby you either acknowledge and accept it, or turn a blind eye and bury your head in the sand.

I have one thats extinct in the wild and very rear in captivity

:D Me and my two girls went there a few months back when I took them on a little cultural excersion, we got quite a few and they are still alive now, gave heaps away, have a huge mama too that has grown heaps, my girls loved it, well one of them fell in which upset her a bit :oops: but then she got over it and had a ball and then we went to the hot pools, their marae, their urupa and the homestead where their whanau live, was great for them and me.... :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

The other side of that idea: are there species that are extinct in the wild BECAUSE of aquarists?

That has certainly happened because of other animal/plant people. Orchids being the most well-known example.

Taking wild fish is always a conundrum for me.

As a native freshwater nut, all of my fish were taken from the wild by me. I know I can provide what they need and keep them with very very few losses or disease incidents.

But if I were to keep tropical fish, I would be sure to only buy fish that were captive-bred, as I could not personally guarantee the care of collection and holding etc of wild fish before I bought them.

(I would thoroughly support the licensing of people to farm native fish for sale, and I would rather buy them than take wild specimens, thought it would remove the hunting satisfaction and habitat awareness from the hobby)

The other side of that idea: are there species that are extinct in the wild BECAUSE of aquarists?

Possibly in some cases (black aro?) but more often the causes (as you would probably know from your studies of natives) would be destruction of habitat, pollution and introduced species (eg. nile perch in Lake Victoria).

True true. Sadly.

What about reefs? Sounds like some of the collection techniques going on there are leading directly to the destruction of habitat.

(I wonder if we need to get the MODS to divide this up into the original Molly Hunt thread and the rather noisier Wild-Caught Issues thread? Interesting dicsussion but always a bit rude to take over a perfectly innocent thread...)

You leaving to join PETA to help try to out-law fish-keeping?? :lol:

Don't take everything so seriously dude, its a forum, people have different ideas and opinions to you, and thats what makes life interesting. Perhaps you should take some of your own advice [calm down] and realise its not the end of the world if someone disagrees with you.

8)

lol its just taking a few mollies its not going to hurt anyone.. I am sure there are things that you guys do that people disagree with, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and to be able to voice them.. How you deal with any discussion is upto you..

The whole wild caught/native fish thing can cause a bit of a stir, personally I think there is nothing against going and grabbing a few introduced mollies you wont do any damage to the enviroment.. Just make sure you guys dont take or endanger any of those important trout, even though im sure it will be too hot for them there..

I understand Ballistic is concerned we will troop in and destruct some of the native flora there. Don't worry B it's straight off the roadside with a few cutty-grass stalks around, nothing major. Actually the environment destructed me somewhat last time....cut fingers from that grass and burnt feet! Yes it is a valid point that mortality was rather high from last time. It would help a lot if people have a tank prepared at home with water of the same temperature and pH as that of the pond and have a bare cycled tank or suitable tank mates to go with them :) I'm also very keen re the guppies.

Interestingly I stopped by on the way down to snowboard during winter and where there had been literally millions there was only a few that could be seen. I later found out they are prolific only in the warmer months

what ever happened to the days that you could dissagree without people taking offence?

whos knows, one could ask what happened to good old common sence at times.

im here to learn and hey if im wrong someone please correct me but dont take offence theres more to life than worrying about what dingo said on a fish forum, it really makes me laugh how serious ppl take some of the comments on here.

tui time here what a beautiful day to be alive :bounce:

If i supply them, could someone Chuck some Silver Aros in there? :roll: :lol:

They would be adults and breeding in no time 8)

I've had many such thoughts before, but it would be a big wad of cash to blow given that someone could come and fish them out after you leave. Plus it could be the excuse ERMA needs to crack down hard on the importing of large fish...