Fish shop rant

broms2

why the personal attack yarimochi, zabman that is exactly how I normally feel at that fs.

I didn't start this post to be nasty to anyone just wondered if other people thought the same and maybe if they (lfs) read it they might think about how they treat customers.

Hopefully that particular store will get wind of this and clean up their act. If it's part of the same franchise as I am, it's in their non-negotiable standards that they must greet every customer and at least attempt to help them.

Maybe you should just come down to Palmy, we'll take care of you! ;)

Edit -- It seems I cannot spell "greet" correctly.

Maybe you should just come down to Palmy, we'll take care of you! ;)

You wouldn't have to ask twice :) My parents live in Fielding and visiting all the fish stores in that part of the country is always a highlight of my visit.

poor baby, you actually had to make an effort. get a butler if you want to be waited on.

What a weird comment for someone working in retail. I wonder how many potential sales have gone walking out the door because of that attitude. It's not called a service industry for nothing.

In the past I've worked in a call centre talking to all types of customers and some are unbelievably rude, arrogant, impatient, and unrealistic with their expectations. I think it is a different story once they've established themselves like that. But until you know, you gotta treat the customer with respect and be friendly! And yes it's totally a 2-way street, well said. If we always endeavour to meet customers expectations then we will all get what we want a lot more then everyone is happy. Remember, after a bad experience customers tell a heap more people than a positive experience.. look at this thread for proof

(ps i'll start an appreciation thread for good LFSs)

You wouldn't have to ask twice :) My parents live in Fielding and visiting all the fish stores in that part of the country is always a highlight of my visit.

Another Feildingite!! We're taking over NZ, I swear. 8)

I totally agree. I used to do IT support for a 200 seat call centre. After listening in to some of the abuse they had to put up with, I go out of my way to be polite and courteous to people in that role. After all, they aren't the one who caused the customer's issue, they're just the unfortunate who has to field the calls. Yep, if they're rude then give it back to them, but be professional about it.

Some of the younger shop assistants these days (oh god, I'm channelling my parents!) seem to not know the meaning of service.

In the past I've worked in a call centre talking to all types of customers and some are unbelievably rude, arrogant, impatient, and unrealistic with their expectations. I think it is a different story once they've established themselves like that. But until you know, you gotta treat the customer with respect and be friendly! And yes it's totally a 2-way street, well said. If we always endeavour to meet customers expectations then we will all get what we want a lot more then everyone is happy. Remember, after a bad experience customers tell a heap more people than a positive experience.. look at this thread for proof

(ps i'll start an appreciation thread for good LFSs)

poor baby, you actually had to make an effort. get a butler if you want to be waited on.

yarimochi if thats your attitude why the hell are you working in retail?

if you want to sulk in the corner and be left alone you need a new job dude.

theres no way i would buy anything from a shop i was treated like this zabman. quite a few times i have walked into a shop(not a fish shop they see me coming) with cash in pocket ready to buy a new appliance or the like, only to walk out again 15-20 minutes later because no one has bothered to even acknowledge me, let alone ask if i needed any help. maybe its because i look like i have no money? just because im a scruffy looking bugger? who knows?

One thing I would suggest is if you have issue with service etc then write a letter to the owner.

If the owner does not know about it then how can things improve, and I am sure they will be interested and will listen.

Staffing is a major problem with pets stores as it is not a well paid job and if you get good staff they tend to move on to bigger and better things due to getting paid far better in other industries.

And your point is....

As I say the hard work is done, they have come into your shop, why ruin it by ignoring them and giving bad service.

I guess I misunderstood what you were trying to say then, what you really meant was "with retail, the hard part is done once they are in your shop".

I am a big fan of the low-pressure approach to retail, especially in a place like a fish shop where you have a high number of customers who are more like visitors to a public aquarium than actual spending customers. There's no need to do the hard sell and try to pressure someone into a sale. I've never had a problem at the Mt Roskill store, I'm usually acknowledged when I enter the store and when I've finished browsing I'll grab one of the staff to come and help me. Occasionally I'll be asked if I need help (usually by a newer staff member who probably doesn't yet recognise me as a regular), but more often than not I'm left to my own devices until I'm ready to be served which I much prefer to being hassled every couple of minutes.

There's a huge difference between low-pressure and ignoring customers. Yeah you don't have degrees and it might only be a part-time job, but that shouldn't stop you learning and being knowledgeable in whatever it is you're selling...

I personally have never had a prob with the staff at either HFF's, and in fact prefer to be allowed to look around the shop, without assistants annoying me with "can i help you, what sort of fish are you looking for, etc etc", then when I'm ready to purchase, I'm quite happy to get a assistant to help.

I guess it's a happy medium (yes, I'm a retail shop owner), but being harassed by staff (dick smith?) the moment you walk into a shop is not good retail IMO.

David r, I also like a low presure aproach, I just allways feel more ignored at Mt Roskill, I also can never remember being greeted, they do have awesome stock and fish, it's just the service that gets me.

Reef, unfortunitly I act with my feet and don't go back when I don't get good service, I put this post up so they will l hear about it, it is more than I would normally do.

I used to use a Bp petrol station in West Auckland every week, one day one of the petrol attendants spat on the ground in front of me as I walked in the front door, I did actually complain as it really disgusted me, they didn't act or even care, so I never went back, the problem for them was that I told all my staff they would no longer use them and also a lot of freinds that also went there, result was they lost around a $1000.00 a week in regular custom, in the competitive environment of today that is not good for business.

I will probably go back to roskill one day and if I get good service I will be happy, but not for quite a while.

BLABLABLA BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!!!

I REALLY DISLIKE CUSTOMERS LIKE YOU!!! I work at an 'A' class lfs and Im only human. Get of your holier than thou high horse. People arent going to learn anything if you dont give them a chance. We dont have degrees, we have a part time job.

I love customers that are patient, understanding and couldnt care if you make a mistake.

GAH!!! customers these days......

no, they are actually right. The quality of service from the mt. Roskill store is balls really, I was standing in front of the marine display tank for about 5 minutes, while at the counter the sales people there were talking about something, and when i asked to buy one of the corals they had, it was like an inconvienance to them :/

I'm with DavidR on this one. When I go to the Mt Roskill branch they know me, usually know why I am there and also know that if I do want something I will come and ask. It suits me fine.

By the way - normally when I am there the shop is packed out and all the staff are doing their best to help those asking a multitude of questions.

I for one think the service and advice has improved heaps over the last twelve or so months.

I am sorry you got bad service from them Broms2 and wasted your petrol

(and no I do not work in a lfs), but things are better than what they were.

I can see your point but if you don't go to them or the A chain where are you going to go? Theres not that many other shops up here despite the huge population.

yarimochi...

do they train you guys to be that rude at both stores?! i work at a pet store and still prefer yours , except when i come in all i get is dirty looks and people turning away and walking in the other direction.

wtf is up with that your job is sales /customer service i dont see why any of you even bother working there with your attitudes. all you need to do is acknowledge the customer with a smaile and hi , atleast then they know your friendly and approachable and if need help they will come to you.

I came in one day with yes my work uniform on after work it was late but the store wasnt closing for another 5mins , me and a mate were looking at the fish and then one of the staff members turned the tanks light of and walked out back , sure im the competition but thats bloody rude!!! i was actuly gona purchase something to!

i will be informing your stores superior's im sure they would love to know

unfortunitly I act with my feet and don't go back when I don't get good service, I put this post up so they will l hear about it, it is more than I would normally do.

Seems like a bit of an over-reaction to me, I take it you grow your own food as I can't think of a single supermarket in the greater auckland reigon where you get half as good a service as at the mt roskill store...

Last time I was there a staff member was talking a woman thru setting up a tank for discus, and from what I heard she was clueless and the staff member was being very patient. I was there for quite a while and the person was still going when I left.

I dont think I matters what you are getting payed, or how offten you work there. I work at Food Town! I work part time and its a job yes.. But I enjoy the fact that I am able to help customers to the best of my ability with a smile on my face and know that they have no reason to ever complain about me. When I began I went out of my way to learn all the diffrrent types of apples, pears, mushrooms, peaches, plums, grapefruits ect... So I am able to identify what I'm selling and why. And yes I have been asked questions like what is the best cooking apple ect.... And I have been able to answer.

I'm good at my job and now I train the new checkout staff (still for the same pay mine you).

I could of started at Food Town with a bad "I dont care" attitude and only lasted 6 months. But I know when I leave Food Town I will have a good reference and Also know I have a valuble experiance in retail.

It's not about the customers..... Its about the Staff. A smile and a good attitude can impact a grumpy, rude customer.

yarimochi, I think you're missing the point that many of the people commenting on the poor service either work or have worked in retail themselves. They/we have been at the receiving end of grumpy customers and they/we know what is acceptable behaviour and what is not.

Personally, I worked in retail for many years. I worked up from being a part-time shop assistant to branch manager.

If I go into a retail store and I am not even acknowledged by the staff, I consider them to be quite rude. It's not about being waited on. It is about common courtesy.

If I am waiting at the counter to ask a question or buy an item, even if the staff member is busy I expect them to acknowledge me with a nod and a smile and maybe even a statement like "I will be with you shortly." In this case I am prepared to wait for a considerable amount of time because I feel at least I have been acknowledged.

If I am ignored, I will only wait a short time before leaving the store. If I am ignored because the staff are apparently chatting amongst themselves or making personal phone calls or too busy filing their nails, then I consider that to be very rude. I will leave after a very short time and if it happens repeatedly I will not return to that shop again.

I know it is possible to be polite and courteous and friendly to customers because I did it every day for years. Even when I was working part time and earning poor wages. That is no excuse.

EXACTLY

A simple smile or acknoledgment is all that is needed.

If they dont know and tell me they dont know, then I respect them for that. If they blatently make something up(as happens in a few stores ive visited) instantly I dont trust that outfit and usually leave and not return.

Broms2 After discussing the incident with the staff concerned and finding out the in and outs of the situation we are quite prepared to rectify what has occurred. If you would still like to buy the fish at the price you thought it was advertised at then that is fine. We will give you a fish food of your choice of $15 free for your inconvenience.

We endeavour to keep up high standards including our customer service (and stock identification for that matter) If for any reason you feel that you have not received the appropriate level of service, then please notify those concerned you will be surprised what a letter or quiet word will do. We will strive to improve any areas of concern.

Please remember that we are only human and have off days too. But as you have all pointed out that there is no excuse for “bad†service. As both branches carry many types of stock (live and dry products) all our staff can’t possibly know everything about them all. They have been told that if they are unsure on something to ask someone who should know more about the matter in question.

Thank you for your continued support.

Hollywood Fish Farm

awesome response HFF its great to see that ppl still take their customers seriously i personally have never had any problems with either store (except when im trying to get hold of dave lol ) and being in the retail side of things i know that yr best service is only as good as yr weakest link and as you personally strive for better service getting everyone on yr team on the same page is another matter

But its still great to see a store admit there was a mistake, and correct it .

now thats what i call service :D

Great result and what I've come to expect from these guys. I've known the owners of HFF for many years - they are one of the few good people left with passion for what they do in the hobby. Their concern for any service related issue like this has always been genuine. Good on you guys!