Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

PETROL/DIESEL.PRICES

Featured Replies

IN THE UK WE ARE NOW PAYING OVER 6 POUNDS A GALLON FOR PETROL AND ALLMOST 7 FOR DIESEL IS IT THE SAME IN NZ IF SO HAVE YOU TRIED TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT IS YOUR GOVT LISTENING OURS COULDENT CARELESS.ANY ANSWERS OUT THERE LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR REPLIES :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Roughly $2.12 a litre here goldfish... yet that was the other day... I am too scared to look often to be honest :lol:

The cost of living going up like it is.. is rather mind boggling..

Hell it was a typo livingart, thanks for pointing that out, I must have been in dreamworld to even think it was $1 less hehe :lol: Edited :D

still far cheaper than the UK though

$2.12 x 4 (roughly) = $8.48 per gallon

$8.48 devided by 2.5 = 3.49 pound?

very roughly I think??????

Yeah our prices are cheaper than the UK/EU but our wages are also a lot lower and we have a useless public transport network in comparrison.

I am disgusted by the recent increase in RUC and the 2c/L ACC levy on petrol, right when people are struggling with a massive price rise. Its completely unnecessary IMO and is driven purely by greedy out-of-control spenders with no idea on how to budget...

:evil:

We are lucky here that we can shop around a bit.A 75 minute drive from home and we are in Northern Ireland,and pay UK prices for our groceries and booze,the selection is far better than the Republic,and the prices are 31% cheaper(in the latest study).The petrol,however,is much cheaper in the Republic(although catching up in the last couple of mths),so those in the North drive over the border and top up in the Republic.

Shopping online in the UK is also cheaper than buying in our local LFS's.I recently flew over to visit and our bags weighed 18kg going over,45 coming back.1 order cost me 175euro,if I bought it here,it would be 450euro.

Dave

I am sick of people blaming "the government" (and I do not care which party is in at the time). They are not the ones setting the prices.

Yes the tax take has increased in fuel but it has decreased in other stuff because there is still only a certain amount of money to be spent. By being more frugal in our fuel use, but not spending on other large cost items, the tax take has actually dropped.

The major problem with the fuel costs is speculators in the US.

I too walk, or ride my bike. I am lucky I do not live in a city where this is too dangerous!

Our "home" vehicles get used very little but Grant's work 4WD (diesel) makes up for it. In the last 2 weeks he travelled over 2,700km. In the last 12 months he did 47,000km but this year will be more, up to around 50,000. He is averaging 1,000km per week.

I am sick of people blaming "the government" (and I do not care which party is in at the time). They are not the ones setting the prices.

Obviously the gubberment don't set the price (although I agree that the way some people complain you'd think they did), but by increasing the tax on petrol and diesel at a time when the consumer is already struggling with high prices is absurd, selfish and just downright stupid. Its not like they're short of money (here's a good example), perhaps they should try to trim some fat out of their own departments before stealing more off the people they're supposed to be governing.

My theory is that they know a move like this just before an election is going to create huge anti-labour sentiments, so they're sure to be voted out. They've intentionally run the country down to a point where its going to take a hell of a lot to turn things around (more than any party could do in one term), but because of the fickle nature of the average NZ voter when petrol doesnt got back to $1 per litre and houses in Auckland are still expensive after nationals first term everyone will demand a change again and switch back to labour....

:roll:

Actually to me it depends what the gov't is spending the taxes on. If they are spending on public transport, then good on them - go ahead and tax petrol, because they will be offering a long term solution to the problem.

Personally public transport is not the answer to my commuting issues (I live in Avondale and work in Glenfield - there are no trains on the North Shore & I would have to catch several buses and take an hour and a half to get to work). But I'm all in favour of people having the option of using public transport, and improving the services we do have.

By the way, my solution is to ride a motorbike - solves the petrol price issue, the traffic congestion issue and the parking issue all at once! :D

Good posts Caryl and whetu.

Personally I use public transport but I don't care what anyone says, Wellington public transport is only good if you live in the right area. Where I live it's 10 minute drive to my work, to get there without a car I have to allow an hour including 25 minutes to walk to the bus stop to wait for buses that have been known to not come at all :evil:

I shall be getting in the next year a gas-guzzling ute to lug my dogs about with me. I may not be able to afford to drive it much though :lol:

burger king isnt helping either...

Win a Hummer H3 and $5000 towards petrol

bloody things cost 15l/100km, what a waste...

anyways, sold my rav4 and i now live closer to uni and bus to work, saving bout $50 a week

The best solution would be living closer to your work. ;)

Ummm.. that would mean I would have a shorter commute but my partner would have to commute for an hour and a half in the opposite direction! Actually it would be longer because he would have to go over the bridge in rush hour in the same direction as everybody else...

burger king isnt helping either...

bloody things cost 15l/100km, what a waste...

anyways, sold my rav4 and i now live closer to uni and bus to work, saving bout $50 a week

Really? They burn that little? That's not bad at all. My wimpy little 4 banger car burns only about a third less than that.

I have 2 cars/trucks

I have a Nissan Terreno petrol to tow the boat ($160 gets me 400 to 500 Kms) and and 850 Diahatsu Move (where $50 gets me 400 kms)

We are lucky here that we can shop around a bit.A 75 minute drive from home and we are in Northern Ireland,and pay UK prices for our groceries and booze,the selection is far better than the Republic,and the prices are 31% cheaper(in the latest study).The petrol,however,is much cheaper in the Republic(although catching up in the last couple of mths),so those in the North drive over the border and top up in the Republic.

Shopping online in the UK is also cheaper than buying in our local LFS's.I recently flew over to visit and our bags weighed 18kg going over,45 coming back.1 order cost me 175euro,if I bought it here,it would be 450euro.

Dave

Aaah I remember the blissful trips to shop at Sainsbury's Forestside, cheaper to drive all that way to buy groceries than shop at Tesco Merrion. Except that cos there is so much more choice we'd spend way more than necessary anyway! Where in Dublin are you? (sorry off topic I know)

I shall be getting in the next year a gas-guzzling ute to lug my dogs about with me. I may not be able to afford to drive it much though

My diesel Ute gets 900k from a tank of gas, I get about the same mileage as my mate in his Swift, it is the 1.6 sport version and he does have a heavy foot but still, Ute is double cab, aerodynamics of a brick

My diesel Ute gets 900k from a tank of gas, I get about the same mileage as my mate in his Swift, it is the 1.6 sport version and he does have a heavy foot but still, Ute is double cab, aerodynamics of a brick

Wow, what make's that? lol @ "aerodynamics of a brick". I'd really like a double-cab with a decent length flatdeck so potentially we could take all 3 dogs and actually go on holiday some time in the next 10 years but then I do live in Wellington, god knows how I'd park it :lol:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.