Scaring a falcon

Anyone got any ideas? We have a NZ falcon who comes around our (very small, suburban) garden this time of year to feed on our doves, who live in a dovecote. When I see it I rush outside and flap my arms around and wave a teatowel, generally looking like a crazy fishwife (well I am a fish wife) but it usually comes back. DOC have no suggestions other than to mention that if anything should happen to this rare endangered $%&* thing there will be hefty fines. Any suggestions?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could try leaving out an alternate source of food for the falcon. E.g. Mice, meat, scraps... It should leave your doves alone then, you could even befriend it! Lol.

Not really scaring it away, but it would certainly keep DOC happy to know at least one falcon out there's getting a decent feed. :D

Most falcons hunt for sport/fun. By putting other "meals" out for them des nothing more than allow them to breed more and to stay in your area.

We have doves as a bussiness (www.weddingwings.co.nz) and the only way to discourage predators is to lock the doves away so there is nothing for them to wait arround for.

Your birds will fly better and be healthier for it as well.

Perigan falcons in Ozzie are suppost to be endangered in NSW. The DOC people over there said there were only a total of 12 in NSW but in west Sydney (enrith) I watched 13 attacking racing pigeons and just killing them for fun. Some of the racing pigeons were worth over $2000 each.

The falcon will take the bird in mid air and go to a nearby field where they will pick it untill dead and leave it on the ground to go and have another score.

Lock you birds away and release them once a day for excersize then lock them up again is my advice but do not encourage the falcons by feeding them. Pity you couldnt find the next and keep disturbing it so they no longer felt safe in your area

The ones I have seen in the mountains round here nest in very inhospitable locations. I have never seen them anywhere other than up the mountains miles from civilization. We live and learn. We do have a pair of wood pidgeons in the park near us for most of the year. Probably running out of food about now.

Hmm ok I will go for the flags idea rather than the shooting the doves or letting the falcon eat them idea. I can't keep them in unfortunately, I don't have the means, the dovecote can't be closed in and I won't have room for an aviary. Otherwise I guess nature will just take its course. Last year he came by too and took 4 out of 8 doves, but they did manage to regenerate themselves back to 9 by summer, I guess it is just life! :roll:

note the word racing

A lot of the NZ racing pigeons would sell in auction for upwards of $1000 and some 5 times that so there is a lot of value in them to the right person

Yes hard to prove but they are race horses of the skys and just as much training and care goes into them.

I use to spend at least 4 hours per week day plus taking them on training tosses then all day Saturday and half a day on Sundays

how sure are you its an N.Z Falcon ?

the australasian harrier is a bit slower catching pigeons :D

one visits our place each year and peels out a few, pigeons and guinea pigs

amazing to watch them chase a pigeon down through the trees,

spends about a week here and then moves on