Scaring a falcon

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a type of 12 gauge round called "birdfrite" which is like a firework that explodes with over 120dB and a flash.

Another possibility is mylar ribbons tied to his favorite perch. Make them about a metre long. Because they are reflective, when they move in the wind they will flash and crackle which simulates fire.

Otherwise you'd have to look a a sonic device like those made by "Birdgard". You'll have to do a google search but I know they have a rep in Christchurch.

My job? - I stop birds and planes colliding.

Loud noise maybe bang on a empty coffee can :o But people with think you are mad :roll:

hehe yes I did run out on the lawn shouting 'HEY HEY HEY' and waving a teatowel in each hand and that seemed to do the job last year and we hadn't seen him since March last year, assuming it is the same falcon. But the neighbours' children were watching me through the fence and they have looked at me funny ever since. :lol:

once a falcon is `locked on` to its target,nothing will stop it.There are reports of them chasing pigeons into sheds etc and following them.I you run out of pigeons I will happilly replace them for you.The pigeons are replacable the falcon not!

interesting comment

he pigeons are replacable the falcon not

someones pets Vs a killing machine that does no good at all

Mind you, some think that kids are also replaceable by the look of cases in court

one is a native species that is seriously threatened that would be lucky to breed 2 chicks a year,

the other a prolific exotic import that can be easily replaced

a different proposition to well bred racing pigeons that are not so easy to replace though

pigeon racers all over the world have to contend with predatory birds, power lines and weather, luck of the draw

You miss my point as well

How would the would be worst of if the didnt exist?

Here in Waitakere, tens of thousands of dollars have been spent on makeing a crossing for a frog that is endangered. I fail to see how the world would change if the frog didnt exist

Should be not be consistant and spend thousands on some insect or weed

I suppose that what Im trying to get across is that very few people want things to become nonexistant but how much do you spend on saving these types of things when people cant get opperations that could save their life or our kids cant get the education that is needed

I think you miss the point as well barrie?it would be easy to go out break the law ,shoot the offending endangered native bird at the expence of imported dime a dozen ornamental birds that can`t even fly properly(which is what the said falcon has also noticed)by the way thats what they do,eliminate the slow ,weak and dum ones so the rest get smarter healthier etc or let the falcon live and replace the pigeons?If you ever saw one of these birds up close and personal you might get the idea.As for the operations for sick people thats whole different ballgame and side issue.

No mate

I studied Falcons in Ozzie and have handled them and the NZ falcon

I simply ask the question as I belive that far too much is spent of over protecting things at a huge cost to things I consider more important.

I DID NOT suggest killing the falcon in fact my suggestion was to remove the food source by locking the "bait"away.

I have spent many hours dealing with people using and people complaining of bird scarers. If you were to sit down and work out the most anoying thing to invent that is what you would come up with. Even to the point of one couple selling their winery because the neighbour was a nutter and was threatening to sort it out with a shot gun. I can see the introduction of falcon becoming a similar problem. I have spent many hours in the mountains fascinated by their hunting ability but had only seen them in very remote locations where they would not be a problem. Brought or encouraged closer to civilization They will be a total pain. As Barrie says, they do not only hunt for food, they are born killers and are very good at it. I would think that pidgeons will only be one of the things they will target. Magpies protecting a nest can be a pain but are usually disposed of quietly. A protected falcoln would be a lot more of a problem to defend against and discourage. When I was younger and sillier I thought it would be great to climb a cliff face to observe falclon chicks close up and admit that I gave up a long time before mother did.

I have never seen any reference to nz falcons killing for `fun`.They are one of the only species that have been observed to cache food items and return at a later date to eat it.Still say it would be a privilige to have one in your garden and will replace any pidgeons that dissapear.

A lot of talk of shooting here... not so great for an endangered native bird. In my opinion, animals we have introduced should not have a higher importance over endangered natives. In saying that, of course you're allowed to do something about it, just not kill the bird who is only doing what comes natural to it. As others have said, the same deal overseas with natural predators. Many people in the states keep their cats inside because they don't want them eaten by coyotes and the like. They don't go out to shoot the coyotes because they are eating their cats...

And I feel this thread needs a photo :wink:

NZFalcon.jpg

I got to hold and feed one up in Rotorua at the Wingspan Trust

I think the mistake would be to encourage falcons to come closer to civilization where there will be a lot of conflicts. I think they would do better and be happier up in the bush where I have seen them. They would get the odd pidgeon taking a short cut home but would not cause the problems I can see if encouraged to come closer to town. Lions and tigers cause lots of problems when in conflict with humans and they are very good killing machines also. I am concerned that it will make a lot of people pretty agro against falcons. You want to see the face of someone at Arthurs Pass who comes back from a walk and finds a kea systematically destroying their car.

they were here first and have always been visiting cities and towns allover the country.In fact they are known to breed not very far (as the falcon flies) from wellington city,ie the hills behind wainuiomata.The juveniles are seen every winter in the botanical gardens on the napier hill and probaly plenty of other places just as ` civilised?`There was talk of having pairs placed in cities and encouraged to breed on hirise buildings as has been done overseas with peregrine falcons.

i think that to take some of these arguements to their end conclusion we should wipe out everything that annoys any one and live in a concrete jungle populated by humans, cats, dogs, cockroaches and rats.

or best maybe to get rid of us humans and let Mother Nature get on with it