Scaring a falcon

i think that to take some of these arguements to their end conclusion we should wipe out everything that annoys any one and live in a concrete jungle populated by humans, cats, dogs, cockroaches and rats.

cats, dogs, cockroaches and rats dont annoy you?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think that to take some of these arguements to their end conclusion we should wipe out everything that annoys any one and live in a concrete jungle populated by humans, cats, dogs, cockroaches and rats.

or best maybe to get rid of us humans and let Mother Nature get on with it

I agree. We should wipe out people that misuse "their, there, they're, loose and lose" as well as the people as people that use "ur" or put an R in "bought".

Oh, and children.

do anything other than kill the bird with methods previously mentioned the animal is only doing what it is born to do and we need to try and co exist with them in a peaceful manner i think

Yeah I am with you on that one. I really didn't think this thread would prompt so much discussion!

I love having doves, I love them being in the garden, I love having people bring their children down my driveway to show them, I love being known as 'the house in Wadestown with doves', I love seeing them swoop in and greet me when I arrive home. BUT, I am awestruck when I see this amazing creature swoop down above my house, it's just a bummer it is trying to catch one of my big, fat, flying marshmallows!

I guess I will stick to my teatowel flapping and I have attached a couple of plastic bags to the fence. I still had 8 doves this morning so that means it hasn't successfully taken one this week.

I think it is wrong to encourage animals that are very efficient hunters to relocate closer to civilization. A falcoln in the bush is a beautiful thing but in town it is going to be a total pain. Some of the biggest conflicts Local Authorities have to deal with is between where Rural zoned land and Residential meet. Horses scratching on corrigated iron fences at 4am, cows driven up the rd to milking and back twice a day, pig manure spread as fertilizer, bird scarers going boom etc. I would have no problem with a falcon taking out a pidgeon on a short cut home through the bush but encouraging them to be in conflict with us and our animals is like letting man eating tigers loose to control rabbits. Keep the falcons up the mountains and encourage them to stay there I think.

I think it is wrong to encourage animals that are very efficient hunters to relocate closer to civilization. A falcoln in the bush is a beautiful thing but in town it is going to be a total pain. Some of the biggest conflicts Local Authorities have to deal with is between where Rural zoned land and Residential meet. Horses scratching on corrigated iron fences at 4am, cows driven up the rd to milking and back twice a day, pig manure spread as fertilizer, bird scarers going boom etc. I would have no problem with a falcon taking out a pidgeon on a short cut home through the bush but encouraging them to be in conflict with us and our animals is like letting man eating tigers loose to control rabbits. Keep the falcons up the mountains and encourage them to stay there I think.

I think this wouldn't have happened 5 years ago before the Karori Bird Sanctuary was established. I'm not against the sanctuary by any means, I just think it is most likely due to my proximity to Otari and Karori. 315033677.jpg