Koura

Ianab

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, on another site he was trying to sell some apple snails but there wound up being a huge discussion about the crays.

He says he was catching crays and some MAF guy got talking to him and told him he needed a license to keep them. He apparently paid $15 for it and the license is to go with the cray if it is sold. Sounds like utter BS to me.

To those who don't know, I am writing a book on keeping natives including crays and had a lot of input from DOC on the legalities. I honestly wonder if someone invented the 'license' for this guy. Seriously anyone can catch/keep/kill/eat/feed to the dog without a license or permit or anything. Just you can't return them to the wild without a permit, and you can 'only' take 50 per day.

i just saw the auction about the apple snails (it took me a little while to realise where to find it :-? :lol: ) anyway.... the sellers seems pretty unconcerned about the topics your raising :)

i think they just want to sell the apple snails and get the auction over and done with :lol:

Its amazing where you find these little guys, look in your local 'native' streams at night. Low and slow streams with lots of rocks and vegetation.

I would wait a while for the weather to calm down a bit though as the streams are all really full and fast flowing at the moment which makes it hard to spot them. There are several spots in the Hutt Valley where they have been found up near Belmont Park.

Peter

I'm going to wait until saturday to try and catch one. That way - i can spend the day getting the tank set up right and then (as long as the weather holds out - looking like it will) I'll go for a looksie in the early evening in a little creek up over the rail way lines in waikanae. eeeep excited to get a new creature!!

At night they are often seen out and about. Though you need a stream that is not too deep, too turbulent or the surface is too broken, so you can see through it. When catching a cray that is out and about, put your net BEHIND it and scare it backwards with a pokey stick. They shoot back with a sharp flick of the tail.

They are also frequently caught when doing the trick of putting a net downstream of a rock and lifting the rock. Also a good way of catching fish, invertebrates, leaves and general muck... ;)

If you want to pick them up, it is quite safe to do so be grasping either side of the carapace ('thorax', or bit between the head and the tail...). Personally each time I try I squeal like a girl and drop it the moment it starts to move... despite knowing it cant grab me back.... :roll: :lol:

Bear in mind they can stress quite badly. A stressed cray looks much like a dead cray but is really stiff (a dead one is all floppy). I haven't had too much trouble with that, just know what to look for.

Tank: I can't say it often enough: HIGING PLACES! A big pile of rocks with many nooks and caves is great. The more hiding places the safer the cray feels and it will be out and about more. :)

Please tell us all about your trips! Take your camera ;) (oh and if you are going at night, check your torch batteris first, I speak from experience :roll: )

Crays do ROCK as pets!

Thanks a lot guys. You are all a real friendly and helpful bunch :hail::bow::hail::bow:

I'll let you know how things get on.

So one could keep a few together then? And not just one?

Will have to fend off those who might want to eat them :lol: :lol: :lol:

Technically you can keep a couple together, but chances are you will wind up with one big cray in hte end. Even if they seem to get one fine, they are quite at risk of cannibalism when they moult (less crunchy and somewhat preoccupied).

And just tell any hungry humans that they came from the local sewerage settling ponds ;)

And just tell any hungry humans that they came from the local sewerage settling ponds ;)

Hahaha love it Stella, I'm so going to use that! Dispite my shrimps being small and see-through many people get excited and drool when they see them...

The Hutt river is full of Bullies, red fin, blue gill, common... not sure about some of the others. Again, low and slow seems to be their preference so now is not really the time to go looking for them. Wait until some fine weathers coming up and the river drops a bit. Often when it drops you find small pools under overhanging trees and small bullies that are trapped.

P.

went and caught myself a wee Koura today. hes probably about 11cm (edit: huge exaggeration - he will be 11cm if he has his claws stretched out, but he's really about 6cm) long and pretty feisty when i grabbed him!! I imagine it'd be much easier to catch them in the night time, because he had me turning over rocks trying to find him. and in the end i just saw some feelers and some beady black eyes hidden in the mud. So i put the net behind him and startled him in. Job done.

Will try and get some pictures of him when he is happy with his new environment, hes finding all the good hiding spots at the moment - teehee.

Most fun you can have with your clothes on, on a sunday morning. Yay for catching Koura! :hail:

werner there are heaps of koura in the little creek at Khandallah (behind the swimming pool) .. just go at night with a torch and they are literally everywhere

I have 2 in my tank, both with their own separate caves systems (collected rocks from where I found the koura) .. they are definitely territorial, I never see them both out